PDA

View Full Version : Can a stcok 9700+ cooler handle a vmod?

PimpJack
03-08-2003, 06:16 PM
I have a r9700 that can do 450 with vmod and tec... I want to sell it to a buddy of mine who will most likey use a stock heatsink on it. Will that heastink handle a mild vgpu of 1.6v.... I had the card on straight water and no vmod at 390 but i never tried it on the air heatsink (it came off before the card was ever in a comp :D )... so what can he expect with stock cooling? I would like him to be able to run a solid 400.

:toast:

Major
03-08-2003, 07:36 PM
I seriously doubt it, would be better off using a p3 hs stuck on there with AS3 epoxy he wouldn't be able to use the 1st pci but then who ever does.

RacerX
03-09-2003, 04:34 AM
This should help some. I had a Tyan Tachyon 9700 Pro that was getting very hot, I mean hot. I removed the stock heatsink and removed the shim and applied some A3. After all that the card was still getting extremely hot. I then measured the gpu voltage which I found interesting. Instead of the normal 1.5v I measured 1.6v. :eek: I measure 3 other 9700 Pros and not one went over 1.5v.

So yes the card should run at 1.6 but it will get extremely hot. I noticed my games would lock up over a period of time and blamed this on heat. I then installed a DDen GPU block and the lock ups disappeared.

pelikan
03-09-2003, 07:37 AM
Here's a very good $5. heatsink I just put on my Ti4600: http://www.svc.com/newsvcgc3280.html

Some people over at AnandTech forums are using these to overclock their 2100+'s.

I drilled holes in it and bolted it on. It's nice because the 80mm fan blows right over the memory too, out both sides of the heatsink. It takes up a couple pci slots though.

Garrett
03-10-2003, 03:47 PM
You got some pics of the card installed, pelikan?
And the bolts... they're just as thick as the drill you used, I guess?

pelikan
03-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Garrett
You got some pics of the card installed, pelikan?
And the bolts... they're just as thick as the drill you used, I guess?

Sorry, I don't have a camera.

And yes, the bolts are just a little smaller than the drill I used. Plus I used a drill bit a little larger than the bolt head to counter sink the bolts because the heatsink fins were in the way.