PDA

View Full Version : Need help on soldering small resistors on a 7800GT...

Krunk_Kracker
07-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey dudes, a good friend of mine gave me a Leadtek 7800GT TDH Extreme, but unfortunatly, it's the victim of a volt mod gone awry. He put some trimpots on it, and put it in the compy, turned it on, had a blank screen, turned it all off, took it out of the comp, *PULLED* the two trimpots off, and threw it in the closet, and there it sat until it got brought up that I was in the market to go SLi. So now, I'm attempting to fix it, hopefully there wasn't any permanent damage. Apparently I just need to solder the wire on one end of each resistor to get it working again, *HOPEFULLY*.

First off, I have a 6x desktop magnifying coming to help me do this, but now I need some recommendations on a good soldering iron. I was thinking maybe a good ColdHeat soldering iron, but I can't find any tips that I think come to a fine enough tip to precisely do it.

I know you guys are good at this kinda stuff, so I wanted to know what you guys thought :D

Pics: http://rigshowcase.com/album_folder.php?u_id=281aOTVr&f_id=588

crodan85
07-23-2006, 04:47 PM
That looks like a capacitor if it is you would probably need a replacement one as It looks chipped. Do not bother with a cold heat iron there not the best irons go for a decent >20w with a fine tip. You would probably need a flux pen and some solder braid to help u remove the old one. I haven't got a 7800gt but i am sure there is someone here that has and can measure the capacitor value for you. I not sure if you can get one in the US but I have got the Antex CS18 about $32 and it is good. Once you know the value then you should be able to get a replacement cap online. I'm not sure but it looks like 0805 size.

Anyway good luck :)

Edit
Didn't look at the last pic that looks like a resistor but I am can not see it very clearly

Krunk_Kracker
07-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Yeah, their definetly two resistors in the last two pics.

Can I get some links to these recommendations? I know nothing about soldering besides knowing how to solder. I just don't know what kind of gun would be good to use and what kind of solder. Thanks dudes :)

Krunk_Kracker
07-23-2006, 06:11 PM
No more replies?

runmc
07-23-2006, 06:57 PM
go to Radio Shack or Frys and get one like this. They come in different watts. 20w would be a good middle of the road size. Get a small pointed tip to go with it.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/2258018?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Krunk_Kracker
07-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Excellent. Thanks alot dude. Any advice on what solder to use?

runmc
07-24-2006, 03:49 AM
I use fine electrical rosin core solder, low melting alloy with fast acting flux - diameter .032
63% tin - 37% lead

LostInSpace278
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Please!!!!! What ever you do, do not buy the Cold heat soldering Iron. It uses an Electrical arc to heat the end so quickly. This is not good for any hardware. You can try this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062758&cp=2032058.2032236.2032313&pg=2&parentPage=family It should have everything you need for what you are doing. IMO 20 watts may not be hot enough. If you have to hold the soldering iron on the leg to long, then it can damage the pcb or the heat creeps up the resistor leg and ruins it.

I think it was Hellfire who recommended 30 watt soldering irons as a good starting point.

Krunk_Kracker
07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Alright dudes, this is definetly a task I cannot take on :(

The resistors look like they may be burnt, so I was wondering if theres anyone or a shop I could send this thing to to get it fixed?

Krunk_Kracker
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
bump?

buckshot
07-26-2006, 02:43 PM
My advice to you is to go find yourself a local eletronics repair shop. They can help with soldering little components like that. Fortunately for me I have one close by who has repaired a motherbaord and broken cpu pins.

Krunk_Kracker
07-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Do you guys think the card can be saved with burnt resistors? I'm hoping that the PCB hasn't been burnt :(

pH(x)
08-08-2006, 12:16 AM
I use fine electrical rosin core solder, low melting alloy with fast acting flux - diameter .032
63% tin - 37% lead
A preference for rosin core? Hmm... I may just take this smaller size on.

I've adopted a new form of solder :toast: