PDA

View Full Version : 12c delta too high?

Panthols
07-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Currently running D5 -> BIP III -> Apogee -> Maze 4 all 1/2", I have 6 70cfm fans mounted on the rad in a push/pull config. I run 31-33c idle and 43 - 47 load in a room with 26 - 28c ambient. Rig is an opteron 144 @ 2.97ghz 1.52v and 7800GT volt mooded bios to 1.5v. 12-14c delta seems a bit high, but I'm not sure considering I only have a BIP III. I've been thinking about taking the IHS off, but I really dont want to crush the core. Any ideas on what may help?

Side note: I just finished cleaning my tubing/rad with scrubbing bubbles and I'm leak testing with a vinegar solution now... will rinse with distilled in a few hours. Is there anything I can run with the water to keep it clear... was running zerex before and that formed a filmy residue after about a week. Have been thinking copper sulfate, but I'm not sure.

Edit: this is a link to the fans I'm using (have 11) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835200005 ... I have a UFO-U2 case so I didnt want to drop $200 on fans.

creidiki
07-22-2006, 01:58 PM
removing IHS wouldnt help with the apogee, its designed for IHS'd cpus. In any case its the wrong block for overclocking.

we generally use YateLoons with silent rads... bets silent fans around and theyre 5$ or less each. Jab-Tech had a deal on them for like 3.5$ a pop at one point.

and yes its high, PA120.2 here with 2x 45CFM YLs in push, 170 @ 2.8, 1.4v & X1900XT @ XTX, 9c delta.

some photos would be good, too little informatio to work with atm.

Panthols
07-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Don't really have photos, the system is sitting in my backyard circuilating 5 gallons of distilled water to get the vinegar out. All I can tell ya are specs, unless there are any specifics you need. When I build this (8 months ago) I wasn't aware of the yate loons, and the 35db 77cfm fans I'm running are quiet enough for my needs. Hrmmm, just thought of something... how long is AS5 good for? I've had a tube for quite a while, could I need to buy another one?

creidiki
07-22-2006, 02:24 PM
It doesent age in the tube, though it does get dry over a period of months once applied.

Well, try and see how it goes once you put it back together, maybe the AS5 dried out over 8 months time, I've seen it do it in as little as 6 depending on conditions.

If its still high then either the apogee cant cope - possible as its not a very good block apart from for stock speed cooling - or the AMD TIM1 between die and IHS has dried out. Possibly both.

In that case you could start by removing the IHS, cleaning the old TIM off, replacing with artic ceramique (doesent age very much at all) and plonking the IHS back on, see if that helps.

Keep us updated.

Panthols
07-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, everything is hooked up and running... temps suck right now but I'm hoping that's because all the air bubbles aren't out yet. Idle is 35, too scared to test load atm... half tempted to remount now, but I'll let it run for a day before I decide anything.

Just remounted and tested... still at 34-35 idle, load comes in at 45 - 47c. Thinking it will get better considering I have tons of air bubbles.

http://www.schoolofthetiger.com/images/P1010025.JPG

Edit: Okay, I'm just going to buy a new setup. I know this is going to be overkill, but it's pretty much just for appearance. I'll be keeping my Maze 4 but replacing the apogee, just not positive which block would be better once I remove the IHS.

CPU - Swiftech Storm Rev.2 or Aquaextreme MP05 SP LE
Radiator - 2x Stealth GTS 360 Black Ice
Pumps - 2x DD D5's
Switching my fillports to Delrin
running all 7/16" Masterkleer
Custom 6gal res
I want to go to thermochill PA120.3 rads, but I'm already dropping $300 without counting the res, and I doubt I'll even stress the 2 rads I'll have. Also going to run fans in push/pull, I'll go with yate loons in the back and blue led yate loons in front.