PDA

View Full Version : Adj pots for Antec TP 550w ???

Major
03-07-2003, 09:22 PM
I've got an Antec TruePower 550W and want to add some adj pots for rails, has anyone done this or seen any posts on how too? I've opened it up and found some (4) high wattage resistors that should be for the main rails, just currious if removing and inserting vr instead would work ?

Dissolved
03-07-2003, 10:37 PM
I would like to know as well. Friend has this Psu on his dually, and his rails are Very low.

Bump.

Major
03-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Yep low here too, seems to be a common issue with the Truepower. Great PSU though seems solid, just need adj.

Golias
03-08-2003, 09:49 AM
I have one and with a XK7-333R with a vcore 1.85 and a 2400+@2.3GHz i have the following values

3.3v -> 3.50 ????:confused:
5V -> 4.89
12v -> 11.64

It really needs some adj.

Major
03-08-2003, 07:38 PM
I've looked high and low and seen several posts wanting a vmod for it but nobody with mod. I'm going to open it up this coming weekend and see what I can come up with.

deathstar13
03-08-2003, 10:31 PM
heres some info on a mod project gone wrong that might make you think about this.
i did a dually psu that i paralelled 2xfsp 250's.worked fine for a while.then i decided i needed better rails also.so adjusting i went.
after this was done ive had nothing but trouble and both psu's are basically useless now.

one wont even let a pc boot the other will half the time and kills ocing attempts cold.btw all rails are set back to normal.

its one of 2 things that happened here.
1. the parelelling messed them up.
2.or the adjusting of pots are making dirty signals threw the lines.

i dont know or care whcih it is as ive moved to bigger and better.
but i dont advise much over slight adjustments on the pots.

mabey usefull mabey not.

bowman1964
03-09-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by deathstar13
heres some info on a mod project gone wrong that might make you think about this.
i did a dually psu that i paralelled 2xfsp 250's.worked fine for a while.then i decided i needed better rails also.so adjusting i went.
after this was done ive had nothing but trouble and both psu's are basically useless now.

one wont even let a pc boot the other will half the time and kills ocing attempts cold.btw all rails are set back to normal.

its one of 2 things that happened here.
1. the parelelling messed them up.
2.or the adjusting of pots are making dirty signals threw the lines.

i dont know or care whcih it is as ive moved to bigger and better.
but i dont advise much over slight adjustments on the pots.

mabey usefull mabey not.

well until recently i use 2 powersupplys in every pc i own,but.......
i never attach in a parallel series.this can have a vey bad effect on a power supply unless you take the proper procedure to hook them up with a set of diode's to keep them from trying to feed each other. i normally just have one power the mother board and one power the hard drives and fans etc.this works the easyest i have found with no adverse effects.

but the antec true power 550 is by far the most stable power i own it just is too low in voltage on the 5 and 12v lines if you overclock and use a radeon pushed over the limit.for instance my radeon pulls so much currect it will drop my 5v side from 5.07 to 4.82 measured on the circuit board on the radeon.

so yes i would be very intested in modding this baby.:D

i emailed antec and the reply was not friendly at all.basicly if i had 4.89v and 11.82v it was still inside of the spec's and they see nothing wrong with them....that pssssd me off o well.

we modders do'nt need them anyways......:rolleyes:

Xenogias
03-09-2003, 08:38 AM
well, they just updated their website with the TrueControl 550. Supposedly has adjustable pots on a front panel. I would be interested in that, unfortunately I already have a $140 powersupply....I wish they had a trade-up program, so I wouldnt have to go do the eBay thing.

muzz
03-10-2003, 04:04 PM
My question:
Is the True Control the same thing with a couple of pots, or a small easily built circuit added on....

Thats what I wanna know.

DoGMaN
04-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Good question Muzz. I'd be interested in that answer.

ppctx
04-10-2003, 06:26 PM
I dont know if its worth it if you can mod the true power, but factory front pannel access to pots is cool, and no trashing a warranty by moding such a hog

Xenogias
04-11-2003, 01:17 PM
supposedly they only allow 5% control and someone on another thread said he wasnt able toget very high at all above stock. Fully turned up, the lines were barely over their rated no.s which is still much better than TP series, i just wanted a higher 3.3v line so i can do some crazy mem volt mods

spaceboy
04-19-2003, 06:01 AM
someone could post internal photos of antec true control 550w?