PDA

View Full Version : Memory Guru's: Any Explanation?

Serra
07-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Last night I'm sitting at home running Memtest to check some Kingston value PC3200 DDR on a build I'm doing and I couldn't help but notice something strange. To make sure it was not the motherboard erroring and was in fact one of the memory sticks I had swapped it out with a known good Mushkin Blackline PC4000... and on auto DDR400 settings and auto-detecting correct latencies the Mushkin was getting set with higher latencies (3-4-3-8 versus 2.5-3-3-8) and after half an hour was fairly hot to touch, whereas the Kingston RAM (sold WITHOUT heatspreaders) was still cold.

Anyone have any good explanations for this? I mean, yes I know the Mushkin was designed to run at PC4000 speeds... but I wouldn't have thought it would lose to some extremely cheap value RAM at lower speeds.

Serra

ozzimark
07-21-2006, 12:40 PM
a few things could be happening:

1. mushkin might have programmed the SPD to more "compatible" settings, requiring the user to manually set to the stock speed
2. the heat has to do with what chips are used. as a general rule of thumb, the high performance chips put out more heat than the ones that barely go over 200mhz.

couppi
07-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Mushkin Blackline should be UCCC, which is rated for high speeds at looser timings and gets hot. UCCC isn't going to do 2-2-2-5, if that was what you were expecting, but it will go to 280 mhz+.