PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech MCW50-T

McNum
03-07-2003, 03:36 PM
I've just installed a MCW50-T from Swiftech in my rig, cooling my Radeon 9700 PRO. Everything should be fine, reading various tests of the MCW50-T, but no - not in mine. Before installing it - having a normal Innovatek waterblock, my temps on the backside of the core was appr. 32-34 degrees. Now it's running at around 37!

My water temperature is about 35 degrees on load, and the TEC is getting 12volts as it requires.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw50-T.asp

Looking at other reviews the core should be much cooler - at least under 32-34 as before I installed it. My CPU got about 3-4 degrees warmer under Prime95 after the peltier was installed, so it seems fine and working.

I'm using an Enermax 465 PSU and an Eheim 1046 pump. Is it perhaps to little flow? I'm cooling GPU, NB and CPU.

Hope some of you guys have an answer because I'm all out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is too little flow in the system, or not enough voltage/amps from the PSU (which is rated @ 32-33 12v).

Cheers
:toast:

mdzcpa
03-07-2003, 03:57 PM
If I had to guess I'd say it sounds like your MCW50 pelt is under powered....if it is even running at all!

Water temps of 35 is a little bit high, but not really too out of line for pelts, and certainly not bad enough to inhibit cooling on the card.

I'm running a MCW462-UT and MCWQ50-T in a Quiet Power Case (http://www.liquidninjas.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=20). That's basically swiftechs H202-B kit which comes with the eheim 1048 and smallish 3/8" OD lines...and it works great. The back of my vid card gets frosty with water temps around 32c.

Something else I beleive is the problem. Are your CPU temps good?

McNum
03-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Well if I disconnect the peltier while the PC is running, the temps definately goes wayyyy up on the gfx core, so it's working - but how good is the question maybe...

My CPU temp was around 50-52 on load before getting the pelt and around 55 now.

Damn this is weird... I've just tried putting an extra 120mm Antec fan which is rated way over 100cfm. The water is now 5 celcius lower, and the core temp felt around 4-5 celciuis too. Now it's around the same temp, as before without peltier.

Btw... I tried taking of the MCW50-T, and just left it running. Without the gfxcore to cool, the TEC-cold side was around 2-4 celcius, and thats WITHOUT anything to cool.... Still with the pump and CPU running in Windows (booted OS without gfx).

According to Swiftechs schematics, the cold side should be around 5 degrees with water @ 25 degrees, and appr. 35 watts to cool...

mdzcpa
03-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Whoa...I was under the impression that you were also pelt cooling the CPU. I see this is not the case.

A few things to consider:

First, rule of thumb is never to combine pelt cooling with straight water cooling on the same loop. The pelts drive up your water temps to a point where they are much less effective under straight water conditions.

Second, your water temps of 35 now seem quite high for not pelt cooling the CPU. I would look at maximizing your water cooling system before adding the MCW50-T.

That said, you should still be getting better GPU temps...even with 35c water.

The real problem is your CPU temps suffering from the GPU pelt heating the water.

You should shoot for water temps under 30c with straight water.

McNum
03-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Well my water only went up about 4-5 celcius after conncecting the peltier, and I'm not concerned with the CPU being a bit higher (it can handle it ;)). But the peltier should just perform even better with this setup. Right now my water is @26 celcius (lots of airflow in the radiator :)), and the core is around 32 celcius. It should be muuuch lower?

Straton
03-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by McNum

Btw... I tried taking of the MCW50-T, and just left it running. Without the gfxcore to cool, the TEC-cold side was around 2-4 celcius, and thats WITHOUT anything to cool

There's something funny in there, because my 80W pelt cools my coldplate to -12C when used @12V (default 15V or something).

charlie
03-10-2003, 11:34 PM
My mcw50-t, when removed from the gpu and run separately...will frost over the coldplate...
C