PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I run 3 or 4 sticks?

avesta
07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm trying to run 4 sticks of corsair memory. My system runs fine with 2 sticks of 512, but when I have 3 or 4 sticks inserted, it causes instability and windows reboots itself constantly. The 2 new sticks I got are the exact same, except for the revision, which is 1.2 instead of 1.1.
System specs are as follows:

amd64 fx-53
1gb (2x512mb) corsair pc3200xl memory
2 x 74gb raptors in raid 0
msi k8n neo2 platinum

I've been told by someone that the memory controller of the FX cpu is causing the instability and that it can't handle 4 sticks at DDR400 and that I'd have to tune it down to DDR333. That I don't want to do.

I've also tried teh 1/3 2/4 setup and switched around the sticks into different slots according to the mb manual but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?

uOpt
07-20-2006, 11:28 AM
The FX-53 is one of the old dies that have to be taken down to DDR333 with 4 sticks according to spec. Normally you don't have to obey the spec but in this case it seems to be true.

Also, you are falling for Corsair marketing nonsense. XL r1.1 and XL r1.2 might sound like they are really similar but actually they have nothing in common, in particular they have different chips on there (see the RAM database).

avesta
07-20-2006, 11:43 AM
The FX-53 is one of the old dies that have to be taken down to DDR333 with 4 sticks according to spec. Normally you don't have to obey the spec but in this case it seems to be true.

Also, you are falling for Corsair marketing nonsense. XL r1.1 and XL r1.2 might sound like they are really similar but actually they have nothing in common, in particular they have different chips on there (see the RAM database).

So are you telling me that there's nothing I can do besides tuning down to DDR333? I don't wanna buy 2 1GB sticks.

twiggy
07-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Have you tried running it at 2T?

uOpt
07-20-2006, 11:53 AM
So are you telling me that there's nothing I can do besides tuning down to DDR333? I don't wanna buy 2 1GB sticks.

You can also buy a new CPU :D

Board is also worth checking out. I never had a Gigabyte but the A8N-* boards from Asus basically never ran 4 sticks well for me, and that is with the same CPU and sticks that work fine elsewhere.

avesta
07-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Have you tried running it at 2T?

No I haven't tried 2T. What is 2T exactly? Will it result in a performance loss? I haven't overclocked my system at all, but I don't want to lose performance in games.

Board is also worth checking out.

You mean in terms of a BIOS update?

ozzimark
07-21-2006, 12:42 PM
The FX-53 is one of the old dies that have to be taken down to DDR333 with 4 sticks according to spec
san diego and venice are still officially rated for ddr333, 2T with 4 double sided sticks as well.. assuming you're trying to imply that they aren't :toast:

uOpt
07-27-2006, 08:54 AM
san diego and venice are still officially rated for ddr333, 2T with 4 double sided sticks as well.. assuming you're trying to imply that they aren't :toast:

Exactly, and the FX-53 is a Clawhammer die IIRC, which makes it even less likely to run 4x DDR400.

uOpt
07-27-2006, 08:55 AM
No I haven't tried 2T. What is 2T exactly? Will it result in a performance loss? I haven't overclocked my system at all, but I don't want to lose performance in games.

You mean in terms of a BIOS update?

2T is relaxed command rate and required for more than 2 sticks. It should be selected automatically by the BIOS but if it isn't you need to turn it on.

If the board won't cooperate, a BIOS update might help but boards like the Asus A8N-* are often just screwed up bejond BIOS fix.