View Full Version : The Best Deal Ever !!...Turned Bad :(

jbizzler
07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
This morning, on eBay, I saw a computer with these basic specs:

A8N-SLI Deluxe
FX60
2GB of DDR-400 C3
7950GX2

Well... It was at $300ish, so I told my parents that getting it at that price would be the deal of a lifetime and need a loan. Well, in the end, I won it for $510! All that for $510! My original plan was to get it and sell the parts seperately, but my brother offered to pay my parents how much they loaned me plus buy me an E6600. And that's the story of how I'm getting Conroe. HURRAY FOR ME!

Shpoon
07-19-2006, 01:02 PM
You shoulda just sold it....then bought a full conroe system and told your brother to f-off.

Gratz anyways though, link to the sale?

Silver Bullet
07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
You might have won the auction .. but has the person shipped the items yet :) .. lmk when it comes Good luck :)

07-19-2006, 01:08 PM
You might have won the auction .. but has the person shipped the items yet :) .. lmk when it comes Good luck :)
:slap:

jbizzler
07-19-2006, 02:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&item=180008880650&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Well, I have several reason why I'm letting my brother have it.
1. I love him.
2. I don't love him when he's mad.
3. He needs a computer. He doesn't have one at all. This way he won't use mine.
4. I need a consistent gaming partner/rival.
5. All I wanted was Conroe.
6. I don't want the hassle of selling the parts.
7. Most of all, he's a lot bigger than me.

Biggest problem is, this guy is in China. It's tough to communicate with him, and it cost $60 to ship + $45 to transfer funds. I hope I'm not being scammed.

wisedude
07-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but look at his feedback ratings.... He's got ten positive, all from FAKE accounts. They've all got the exact same comment, from the same cheap auctions. Dude, you're :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed

Ominous Gamer
07-19-2006, 02:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&item=180008880650&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Well, I have several reason why I'm letting my brother have it.
1. I love him.
2. I don't love him when he's mad.
3. He needs a computer. He doesn't have one at all. This way he won't use mine.
4. I need a consistent gaming partner/rival.
6. I don't want the hassle of selling the parts.
7. Most of all, he's a lot bigger than me.

Biggest problem is, this guy is in China. It's tough to communicate with him, and it cost $60 to ship + $45 to transfer funds. I hope I'm not being scammed.

No payment info, and the text appears to be cut and copied from a previous auction (look at the last line), and its based in China.
You are not getting the machine. End of story.

twiggy
07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey man I wouldnt trust that guy! Checkout his feedback!

Edit: Well looks as if I was a little late on the post....Dang phone call!:hehe:

Shpoon
07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Ouch....try to get your money back...now :/

perkam
07-19-2006, 02:39 PM
A deal that looks too good to be true...

Usually is.

Perkam

Jupiler
07-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Seems very fishy to me.
Like the others already said :
- located in China
- no payment information included
- his feedback

Looks like a scam to me, don't let the guy fool you.

bdrex28
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
NEVER buy from China on ebay.

Only people I've ever known that have = screwed

[TAG]Imp
07-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Best of lucky actually getting it...

Shpoon
07-19-2006, 04:18 PM
How'd you buy it? I'm sure you can cancel it...

Mikesnav
07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
lol

Weedsqueezer
07-19-2006, 04:28 PM
:bananal: sorry dude hope you can get your money back :)

dukenukem
07-19-2006, 04:56 PM
damn sorry to see you fell for that scam,hope you get your money back soon.

07-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Wow...

What will your parents say? Have you told them yet?

couppi
07-19-2006, 05:23 PM
That's why, on ebay, always check the feedback and what it is for.

This System DOES includes Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. However,
Looks like he didn't select the whole text. He missed a part. Never, ever buy from China. There's been a lot of cpus for sale by Chinese people with 10 feedback that say "OK", lately. I wish eBay would do something about these scammers.

Sorry you got scammed :(

07-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Man, dude. I feel so sorry for you. That awful sinking feeling you must be feeling in your gut when you realized you just got ripped off, and the fear of what your parents will say. Probably never let you buy anything on the internet again. :nono:

Absolute_0
07-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Good luck getting your money back. Always check seller feedback, ESPECIALLY from China!

Judaeus Apella
07-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Damn... don't you know when something is too good to be true? I would have laughed the second I saw that auction, and reported it.

FLMJIGGY
07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Awww man, even I feel bad now... hopefully you will get it... rooting 4 ya!

icywater
07-19-2006, 07:24 PM
man.. I feel sick in the stomach now.... after look at the site.
Hope for the best.

ex2cib
07-19-2006, 07:31 PM
all 10 of those feedbacks were from yesterday

Shift
07-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Wow the 7950GX2 alone is more expensive than the $500 price tag. You have to understand, eBay sellers are humans too - they sell for profit. $500 bucks for all that?

Yeah right:slapass: :nono: :banana3:

sofarfrome
07-19-2006, 07:46 PM
I really hope you get ur monies back. You just got scammed.

Kobalt
07-19-2006, 07:59 PM
you weren't even a little bit suspicious?!? i hope you paid with paypal or a credit card. please dont tell me you paid with western union or something lolllllllllll

Shpoon
07-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Edit: I've been convinced not to. Good luck with your adventures....try to get that money back.

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-19-2006, 08:14 PM
*Sigh, my paypal has a $20 section set apart for you and Duc...

I'm sure others will gladly send you $10 apiece if you can't get the money back.

Duc i'd help out.

he got scammed after the guy had established a good heat record.

this guy was just... honestly, kinda ignorant.

sorry to sound harsh man, but that was just a foolish move.

Judaeus Apella
07-19-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm sure others will gladly send you $10 apiece if you can't get the money back.

Speak for your self, I've been scammed before during my youth just as I’m sure all of you have, in one way or another. I learned my lesson like the rest of you, I had to suffer to learn from it. No one came to my rescue, and I'm glad they didn't. Otherwise I wouldn't have learned a valuable lesson!

He made a mistake and if he can't get the money back, then he'll have to earn it. It's part of growing up. Sorry, if my words seem harsh... but it's best this way. He'll be smart as a whip when he's a full grown man, if he learns about life the right way. If someone covers for you every time you make a bad mistake... then you never learn from it.

I'm harsh, because I care. :)

Mr. Popo
07-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Damn, try to get your money back.

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Speak for your self, I've been scammed before during my youth just as I’m sure all of you have, in one way or another. I learned my lesson like the rest of you, I had to suffer to learn from it. No one came to my rescue, and I'm glad they didn't. Otherwise I wouldn't have learned a valuable lesson!

He made a mistake and if he can't get the money back, then he'll have to earn it. It's part of growing up. Sorry, if my words seem harsh... but it's best this way. He'll be smart as a whip when he's a full grown man, if he learns about life the right way. If someone covers for you every time you make a bad mistake... then you never learn from it.

yeah, i know i was scammed when i first started trading because i didnt check out his claimed adress.

never got my money back. ive been alot smarter since and havent gotten scammed through alot more deals since.

Gun_Strife
07-19-2006, 09:15 PM
feel for ya
but a lesson learned

fhpchris
07-19-2006, 09:19 PM
I feel sorry for you man, but didnt you check his feedback or location?

You didnt think someone was going to spend 1700$ on a computer and sell it for 510$ did you?

Conroe isnt a free lunch, it still has many issues that need to be worked out - not to mention that machine isnt exactly slow...

Greed is bad. Very bad.

twiggy
07-19-2006, 09:20 PM

I learned my lesson on my first purchase. I got ripped off trying to buy some OCZ RAM from a site off pricewatch.:clap: :mad:

phelan1777
07-19-2006, 09:46 PM
:shakes: that just out righ sucks...............

But......how could you not see how obvious this was?

I seem like a jerk, but the signs are there, if a person has any kind of common sense.

I guess I have been lucky or smart in not getting scammed.

I had some guy send me three money orders for 900$ =2700$ for a Projector, I told the "buyer" that I was suspicious of this transaction, and that I woudl report him to e-bay, and the authorities. It seemed to good to be true, but that much money is tempting, so after I received them, I called the "issuer" that was printed no the MO, and they had no record, so I turned them into FBI, because the buyer mailed them from Cali. Then the kicker is there was a note in the envelope that asked for me to fwd the rest of the money (projector was 900$) to Nigeria, that screamed scam and this was more then a year ago.

If it looks to good to be true it is, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I feel sorry for you, but...........:nono:

dastt
07-19-2006, 09:48 PM
wow i really hope you dont pay this guy before reading everyones posts becuase this IS A SCAM, always check feedback on ebay and if you had you would have seen this guy is about to steal your money.

Reinvented
07-19-2006, 09:53 PM
wow i really hope you dont pay this guy before reading everyones posts becuase this IS A SCAM, always check feedback on ebay and if you had you would have seen this guy is about to steal your money.

That stuff gets learned in eBay 101! ALWAYS READ feedback...

But yeah...you got :slapass: :bananal: VERY hard from that.. I hope all goes well for you though in hopes that YOU ARE able to recover your money...

Major_A
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
My first and last purchase on Ebay 4+ years ago was a scam. The guy sent the wrong crap and took me for more than $20. While this isn't $500 I learned that Ebay blew gonads.

alexio
07-19-2006, 10:09 PM
My first and last purchase on Ebay 4+ years ago was a scam. The guy sent the wrong crap and took me for more than $20. While this isn't $500 I learned that Ebay blew gonads.
QFT

If you need any hardware, I think the XS for sale section is one of the safest places to get your stuff. Ebay just sucks, and so does Paypal.

The XS for sale section has good prices too, and I'm more than willing to sell my hardware for 10% less than I could sell it in other places to keep the FS section alive :fact:

Ebay sucks, XS 0wns :toast:

@jbizzler
I just hope you can get your money back. As has been said before, if a deal sounds to good to be true, it usually is :(

Shpoon
07-20-2006, 03:32 AM
I got scammed, and was the worst tiem of my life, I don't think it as a learning lesson ;)

I dunno, maybe it's the connection that makes me feel terrible.

Kobalt
07-20-2006, 06:29 AM
I never got scammed and I never will. Last October I went to buy a $1500 projector from a forum member. I didn't ask him to ship it. I drove the 7 hours to go pick it up in person and see it in action before deciding to buy it. Honestly, if you get scammed, you're a dumbass. I hate to sound harsh, but thats just the kind of person I am. Take responsibility for your own actions and don't go looking for sympathy (this isnt directed at the OP). And I sure as hell know that if I get scammed im going to call myself a dumbass and smack myself 10 times.

Larry
07-20-2006, 06:41 AM
never say never cause you just dont no

yaddam205
07-20-2006, 06:45 AM
I was almost scammed but not from purchasing it was phishing, about 5 years ago when I 1st setup my ebay/pay-pal account, I recieved an "update" email demanding that I update all my CC and Address info for paypal or else my account would be suspended. So I filled in everything and was seconds away from hitting send until I checked the security and noticed no SSL at all, so I decided it can go and get :bananal:

icywater
07-20-2006, 07:40 AM
I was almost scammed but not from purchasing it was phishing, about 5 years ago when I 1st setup my ebay/pay-pal account, I recieved an "update" email demanding that I update all my CC and Address info for paypal or else my account would be suspended. So I filled in everything and was seconds away from hitting send until I checked the security and noticed no SSL at all, so I decided it can go and get :bananal:

This same problem happened to me too, 3 months ago when i open my ebay account. Click on the link in the email and then i was promted withput in a user name and password, which i did, the next next think it as is my CC detail and 4 digit passwords, i went WTF and close it and quickly change my password on the ebay account. The scam near got me.

SamHughe
07-20-2006, 07:48 AM
This morning, on eBay, I saw a computer with these basic specs:

A8N-SLI Deluxe
FX60
2GB of DDR-400 C3
7950GX2

Well... It was at $300ish, so I told my parents that getting it at that price would be the deal of a lifetime and need a loan. Well, in the end, I won it for $510! All that for $510! My original plan was to get it and sell the parts seperately, but my brother offered to pay my parents how much they loaned me plus buy me an E6600. And that's the story of how I'm getting Conroe. HURRAY FOR ME!

Sorry dude but you've probably been scammed. Don't you know the first rule about eBay?! If a deal looks like too good to be true, it usually is. It's miracle if you get that computer or your money back.

psyconut713
07-20-2006, 07:54 AM
i tried to buy an FX-53 last year for like $600, when it was priced over $1000, i got ripped off, but pay pal got most of my money back, only lost $26, and ebay has been very good to me since, always look at feed back!

FLMJIGGY
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
j bizzle, u there????

Verisimilitude
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
$510 is tough, I got scammed for $50 once and I nearly blew up about it.

The worst part about being scammed is afterwards you have all this rage with no place to vent it except on yourself. Live and learn, Ebay sucks, there are more than enough credible tech shops out there to buy hardware from.

In anycase, sorry man, I feel your pain <> hope your brother doesn't beat ya.

phelan1777
07-20-2006, 11:28 AM
This same problem happened to me too, 3 months ago when i open my ebay account. Click on the link in the email and then i was promted withput in a user name and password, which i did, the next next think it as is my CC detail and 4 digit passwords, i went WTF and close it and quickly change my password on the ebay account. The scam near got me.

hehe I was getting hit with phising skeems left and right, and kept replying with nastigrams, and eventually they stopped, I was getting flooded at one point, now every so often I will get one but just reply back with a Friendly Unmistakable Courtesty Kommunikay Yet Openly Understandable

nicepun
07-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Yep, looks like a scam to me. Feedback for the user is pretty much finctional. Damn Scammers!!!

wisedude
07-20-2006, 11:48 AM
lol, he hasn't made a single post since we pointed out he got scammed

phelan1777
07-20-2006, 11:52 AM
lol, he hasn't made a single post since we pointed out he got scammed

he is more then likely upset, understandable, hopefully he will come back. I am not laughing at him, and I like to think that most others aren't as well, just taht some of use are not really feeling much compassion because the signs were there.

nicepun
07-20-2006, 12:22 PM
he is more then likely upset, understandable, hopefully he will come back. I am not laughing at him, and I like to think that most others aren't as well, just taht some of use are not really feeling much compassion because the signs were there.

Exactly! I got scammed once and I will not say the $$ amount because I get mad again, let me just say that PayPal is no Help. But the only reason why I got scammed is because I wanted to give a person a chance (low feedback, but you got to get started somehow). But yeah, Location of the Item and Feedback it's always a good place to start.

phelan1777
07-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Exactly! I got scammed once and I will not say the $$ amount because I get mad again, let me just say that PayPal is no Help. But the only reason why I got scammed is because I wanted to give a person a chance (low feedback, but you got to get started somehow). But yeah, Location of the Item and Feedback it's always a good place to start.

Well thats why an ebayer should start out small.

Nettwerk
07-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Dont feel too bad, I got scammed by someone with great (real) feedback.

comrad
07-20-2006, 01:03 PM
QFT

If you need any hardware, I think the XS for sale section is one of the safest places to get your stuff. Ebay just sucks, and so does Paypal.

The XS for sale section has good prices too, and I'm more than willing to sell my hardware for 10% less than I could sell it in other places to keep the FS section alive :fact:

Ebay sucks, XS 0wns :toast:

@jbizzler
I just hope you can get your money back. As has been said before, if a deal sounds to good to be true, it usually is :(
I disagree, I have never been scammed on eBay, but I have been scammed on XS... I am not saying XS is a bad place to buy stuff, I have bought many things here, but eBay is an awesome place to get good deals. If you know what you are doing, you wont get scammed.

CRXican
07-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Man, dude. I feel so sorry for you. That awful sinking feeling you must be feeling in your gut when you realized you just got ripped off, and the fear of what your parents will say. Probably never let you buy anything on the internet again. :nono:
they should take away the computer he does have and give it to his brother
:slapass:

kiwi
07-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Lol, don't pay him, it is a scam 100%. He will most likely offer western union or bank wire transfer. Don't pay! You will not get negative feedback

Yes, yes, I know these deals, I could get brand new 7900GTX for $250 too. It was some 3 months ago and these stupid sellers are still there :slapass:

kamongear
07-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I got scammed out of 75 bucks and it was probably the most obvious scams ever on a FS/FT forum. but, I earned from my misttake and left the bastard alone and let him burn in hell as he did it to probably 10 other people. It wasn't worth it for me to go on a man hunt. Sorry man but atleast you learned.

Shift
07-20-2006, 02:13 PM
This is a true story. About three years ago my friend (much like a person I know) had this huge scam. My friend was selling phones for really cheap prices, but apparently in the fine print, he was actually selling pictures of the phone. SO many buyers thought they were buying the phone, but they actually recieved pictures. He had so many buyers that he literally made thousands of dollars, and bought a freaking plasma screen t.v., and he was 16!!!!!
Tons of buyers were pissed and he had neg reputation up the waz-zoo. He even recieved death threats!

Just to show you the potential of eBay scammers.

Judaeus Apella
07-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Poor guy. LOL, he's probably too ashamed to post here again. I feel for ya man, but that was a realy dumb mistake.

metachronos
07-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Jbizzer, how could you fall for such a scam.

PowerSlide
07-20-2006, 05:18 PM
there are no super duper cheap deals in this world..n always use our common sense..

cheers..hope get ur money back n die die die u scammers :mad:

Kobalt
07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
lol...still hasnt posted back.

07-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Mabey his parents took his PC. But I dont understand, did he actually pay yet, or could he just simply not pay?

phelan1777
07-20-2006, 08:22 PM
re read the first post.

Shift
07-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I just noticed that someone changed the thread title and added the words "turned bad"
Funny stuff:slap:

Major_A
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
What happened to this kid? He was all excited then got some bad news and hasn't been back since. Hey man we all make mistakes, the important thing is we learn from them.

kiwi
07-21-2006, 01:16 AM
This is a true story. About three years ago my friend (much like a person I know) had this huge scam. My friend was selling phones for really cheap prices, but apparently in the fine print, he was actually selling pictures of the phone. SO many buyers thought they were buying the phone, but they actually recieved pictures. He had so many buyers that he literally made thousands of dollars, and bought a freaking plasma screen t.v., and he was 16!!!!!
Tons of buyers were pissed and he had neg reputation up the waz-zoo. He even recieved death threats!

Just to show you the potential of eBay scammers.

:D :D :D

Tictac2
07-21-2006, 01:25 AM
I feel sorry for you, but when buying anything over about a fiver on eBay, you must check things out. . .

In the UK, it seems like eBay is the safest.. . practically every UK computer shop has awful ratings on resellerratings.com and I've read bad comments on every one. . .

jbizzler
07-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Awwwww frick.

Well, my parents know now. We decided to wait a little longer. We paid with a bank wire transfer; don't know how safe that is. If we lose the money we're not too worried though, just pissed. When we were contacting him about payment, he kept asking for shipping information over and over with very poor english. Then I asked him if XP was in English and if it came with an SLI bridge. That was the day after and he told me yes, and asked for shipping info again. We got a tracking thing on the wire transfer, so we'll know if he gets the money.

I did see the feedback, but just that they were 10 buyers, nothing else. I was too excited. There were two listed. I'll see what the second person's experience was.

Kobalt
07-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Yup you're screwed. Kiss that money good bye.

jbizzler
07-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Oh well. It was a nice dream.

My parents are just disappointed. My brother isn't awake yet, but he's gonna probably be mad at me!

07-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Just "pissed" if you are scammed out of over $500? That dosn't seem right...

Mr. Popo
07-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Oh well. It was a nice dream.

My parents are just disappointed. My brother isn't awake yet, but he's gonna probably be mad at me!
Getting scammed is never a good thing, but the important thing is learning from your mistakes.

jbizzler
07-21-2006, 09:24 AM
This guy is histerical. Look at what he sent us:

Dear friend:
Thanks for your letter.
Thanks for your problem, I believe that you are a buyer of honesty.
Trust mutually on the ebay, our bargain is decided by our trust.
I just arrive my company to work, my bank account of ebay is a company to send to mine,
His past I am not to understand too, asking you to comprehend me.
The name of my company is: HuaYu science and technology of ebay .I can send the business license and former bargain datas of my company to you, pleasing the worry in uncertainty that you cancel you, trust of complete our bargain.
Is pleased so, is also what I want.
What I use is the EMS aviation express delivery, it is very the insurance of, item 3-7 days arrive your coast.
My company sells the product in the ancestors of ebay regularly, the prestige of the company is 100%, the company has a lot of cooperation colleagues in the overseas, hope we hereafter usually cooperate.
Thanks
Honest sale party
Concern

couppi
07-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Just "pissed" if you are scammed out of over $500? That dosn't seem right...
You could have just sent me the $500...

Try to get your money back. I hope you used paypal, and not Western Union or something :slap:

Edit: You wire transfered it? To some guy in China who uses Google translate or something?
Also, the guy didn't even have the decency to host the pics he stole from other websites. They're all hotlinked. :slapass:

Sorry man...

jbizzler
07-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Then he sent us pics of his business liscense and stuff, but I don't thinkt hat emans much. I still doubt we'll be getting this computer, but we're just giving it a shot. We called the bank and they said it would cost hundreds of dollers to retrieve the money no anyway.

My dad emailed this guy from his business account. He's a regional VP from Konica Minolta, and he said that if he doesn't get obvious confirmation from this guy, his corportae lawyers (who do work in China) will be all over this guy.

I reported the 7950GX2s that were from an identicle looking account, and now they're not listed.

BlackX
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
a regional VP from Konica Minolta

..Then money is no problem for you..

Something Sexy
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I am sorry to say, even if the Corporate lawyers your dad claims to use are going to do no good. Its China dude...there are no laws...(partially joking), but seriously they won't be able to track this guy down anyways, just take the cut and move on. It wouldn't even be worth the money your dads company has to pay to claim $500. Even if they did catch the guy, it is doubtful you would see the money anyways.

jbizzler
07-21-2006, 11:59 AM
I know that. It's just a threat.

We're just waiting and hoping now. If it's fake, we're not actually gonna do anything.

AlbanianOC
07-21-2006, 12:23 PM
First rule of ebay is never buy without real pictures, second one is that you always use paypal, third is that you look at the feedback and maybe you contact one of his previous buyers, and the last one never buy from overseas unless it is a dvd or such cheap thing. Sorry to hear about it, but learn from you mistake.

comrad
07-21-2006, 01:37 PM
First rule of ebay is never buy without real pictures, second one is that you always use paypal, third is that you look at the feedback and maybe you contact one of his previous buyers, and the last one never buy from overseas unless it is a dvd or such cheap thing. Sorry to hear about it, but learn from you mistake.
Paypal? Your kidding right? Paypal is the worst... They will NOT get your money back... EVER! If you get scammed through paypal, say bye bye to your money. :(

07-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Paypal? Your kidding right? Paypal is the worst... They will NOT get your money back... EVER! If you get scammed through paypal, say bye bye to your money. :(
It's better than a wire transfer to china.

wisedude
07-22-2006, 06:36 PM
paypal still isn't much security, but it's INFINITELY better than anything else......

Kobalt
07-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Not as good as a credit card though...but most sellers don't accept CC because its almost too easy to get your money back.

powertrippin
07-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Not as good as a credit card though...but most sellers don't accept CC because its almost too easy to get your money back.

in the days before e-bay, CC companies usually sided with the retailers when there was a dispute. The funds would remain with the retailer until the claim was settled, and only then would they pull the money from the retailer and give it back to the purchaser.

since the advent of ebay, and the scamming that came with it, most major CC companies, esp. visa, switched their practices over to pulling the funds from the retailer and putting them back in the cardholders account... apparently the CC companies are afraid of loosing customers because of shady deals and the like.

because of this, MANY retailers opted not to accept CC for internet purchases because the CC companies switches 'sides', if you will...

had to deal with this many times at a place i used to work at.

people were able to try our gear out at home for a week if they put a CC down as a 'deposit'... we never ran the card, just kept it on file during the trial period. One time, a dude puts down a CC retainer for a pair of interconnect cables for hi-fi gear (cables were worth over a grand), and never returns them. I call him 3 or 4 times, and he tells me to 'go get fuk'd'. So we ran the card for the full retail price of the cables. Couple of days later, we get a call from the CC fraud dep't. demanding an explanation. We explain the situation, and the CC company backs up their dead-beat customer, and tells us that we are out over a grand. Now, the boss is pissed that we just lost a grand, but says we can just write it off as a loss. Not willing to take it in the arse like that, i ask if i can make a 'tech-call' visit to the customer to see if the cables are 'working as expected'.

lol... imagine the customers surprise as i show up on his front doorstep, all 270lbs of me, with my .40cal strapped to my side. In not so many words, I told him i would trade the cables for his kneecaps remaining in place.

Boss was extatic to get his cables back.

trip.

Something Sexy
07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Jail sounds like fun

Ldawg
07-24-2006, 01:02 PM
in the days before e-bay, CC companies usually sided with the retailers when there was a dispute. The funds would remain with the retailer until the claim was settled, and only then would they pull the money from the retailer and give it back to the purchaser.

since the advent of ebay, and the scamming that came with it, most major CC companies, esp. visa, switched their practices over to pulling the funds from the retailer and putting them back in the cardholders account... apparently the CC companies are afraid of loosing customers because of shady deals and the like.

because of this, MANY retailers opted not to accept CC for internet purchases because the CC companies switches 'sides', if you will...

had to deal with this many times at a place i used to work at.

people were able to try our gear out at home for a week if they put a CC down as a 'deposit'... we never ran the card, just kept it on file during the trial period. One time, a dude puts down a CC retainer for a pair of interconnect cables for hi-fi gear (cables were worth over a grand), and never returns them. I call him 3 or 4 times, and he tells me to 'go get fuk'd'. So we ran the card for the full retail price of the cables. Couple of days later, we get a call from the CC fraud dep't. demanding an explanation. We explain the situation, and the CC company backs up their dead-beat customer, and tells us that we are out over a grand. Now, the boss is pissed that we just lost a grand, but says we can just write it off as a loss. Not willing to take it in the arse like that, i ask if i can make a 'tech-call' visit to the customer to see if the cables are 'working as expected'.

lol... imagine the customers surprise as i show up on his front doorstep, all 270lbs of me, with my .40cal strapped to my side. In not so many words, I told him i would trade the cables for his kneecaps remaining in place.

Boss was extatic to get his cables back.

trip.

ROFL, those kinds of stories make me all happy inside. I hope the scumbag learned his lesson.

to the OP. Good luck:stick:

illmatik
07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Sucks how a global trading community can be so good, and then so bad :(

Luckily I've only gotten scammed out of a $40 XP1700 and have heavily scrutinized users and auctions ever since.

Rezag1000
07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
lol, if you get this computer....:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

epion2985
07-26-2006, 03:03 AM
any news?

[XC] riptide
07-26-2006, 03:50 AM
ROFL, those kinds of stories make me all happy inside. I hope the scumbag learned his lesson.

to the OP. Good luck:stick:
Agreed. i feel great when scumbags get done. :slapass: :clap:

john3
07-26-2006, 03:11 PM
oh darn man, i feel really sorry for you. i no what if feels like to be scammed. and it feels just awful

phelan1777
07-26-2006, 03:16 PM
WE should give props to the OP for being honest about his mistake.

john3
07-26-2006, 03:29 PM
whos the OP?

phelan1777
07-26-2006, 03:31 PM
original poster = jbizzler

RAGING DRAGON
07-27-2006, 05:27 AM
I'm a very trusting person but I know the smell of a scam any day of the week. Perhaps you're very young and were easily scammed. Let this be a lesson for the future. I can almost say that 100% you will never be scammed again.

Zardokk
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
On one of my very first eBay transactions I got scammed. I bought a copy of Mario Kart Double Dash for the Gamecube (it was a fairly new game at the time) and a couple of other games. The total was like $80. I sent the money through and expected to see the games within a week or so, especially considering the very good feedback rating this guy had. A week comes and goes and I hear nothing. So I get on eBay to contact this guy and it turns out he's no longer a registered user. Right after I bought the games, he got about 2 pages full of negative feedback for items to recieved. So at this point I realized that I had been scammed and immediately filed a claim with PayPal. 30 days later, PayPal comes back and tells me that the claim has been decided in my favor, but they only managed to retrieve $8 from this guy's account. Needless to say, I'm pissed. The guy just took off with about 30 peoples' money and was never caught. I still to this day don't know what happened to that guy...I just hope he got what he had coming. Scammers and thieves are the worst.

Larry
07-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Touch wood i have never been scammed and jbizzler is there a update on the situation did you get any money back?????

john3
07-27-2006, 05:22 PM
my computer is always on wood, so no worries there, lol. i have been scammed my share of times. its one of the worst feelings ever.