PDA

View Full Version : SMD grabbers for Ti4600 volt mod?

pelikan
03-07-2003, 09:48 AM
I'm about to do the mod to the core and am curious whether SMD grabbers would work instead of solder. If not how's about hot glue?
Also, I've read guides that use various resistors, from 1KOhm to 4.7KOhm. Anyone have advice on which resistor to use?
Thanks.

Nomad
03-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Yes, the grabbers will work,,but of course, you need to solder your resistors to the grabbers.

I recommend also using some nice solid wire as well, to run from the grabber to a resistor.

Unless you are aware how to use a VR, then start with a 1.2-1.5k Ohm resistor for safety.

Using the grabber will make it a snap to rma the card in case you fry it. Where using solder will void your warranty due the evidence that is usually left behind when you remove the mod.

pelikan
03-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I don't mind doing a little soldering, but if I can avoid it on the card itself all the better.
Is case fan wire okay?

Professor12
03-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Case fan wire should be excellent for the mod (you can even try Mr Icee's mod that he did for a 4200). You might also want to try smd grabbers first. Radio shack sells some good ones that should work. Also if you want to get solder off... try a desoldering pump or station. I got a 6 dollar one and it works like a charm... just need some patience.

pelikan
03-08-2003, 09:46 PM
I got a 1/4 watt 1.5KOhm resistor. Is 1/4 watt the right one?
The less Ohms of the resistor, the more voltage you end up with right? So if I went with a 1KOhm resistor I would have ended up with more voltage?
I'm trying to play it safe.

pelikan
03-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Okay, thanks a lot for the help here. I did the volt mod successfully. I found out that the 1/4 watt resistors were the right ones.
It was way easier than I thought it would be. The trick of melting solder to the resistor's wires first really helped. Then I just held them to the contact points and heated them up until the solder dripped down and made the connection.
The 1.5KOhm resistor got my core from 305 to 336. The large heatsink I put on there enabled me to clock the memory to 755 without volt modding it. I may try a 1KOhm 1.2KOhm resistor and shoot for 340-350.