PDA

View Full Version : The new Laing D5 question

Digz
07-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Have they added a tacho/wire speed sensor yet to the new
D5's like the DDC ?

creidiki
07-18-2006, 10:54 PM
D5 Vario? Possibly.. doesnt really matter, the DDC+ is also laing and beats it in every single catagory that matters to watercooling.

D5 Vario is a stillborn pump, basically. There's no reason to buy it.

Marci
07-19-2006, 04:18 AM
Nope - no rpm output from D5 as of yet despite my continual prodding at them to do so... Despite DDC+ being better, D5 Vario continues to outsell it...

JoeBar
07-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Despite DDC+ being better, D5 Vario continues to outsell it...
Cause misinformation rules... ;)

ghent915
07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Most people, (myself included at the time) are too lazy to get a pump, and then mod on it to use it with 1/2" systems. Now, with the availability of mod tops that are just drop on, they are too cheap, whining, "I just wanna get a pump and USE it".

Of course...those people aren't XTREME!...lol

-Ghent

Digz
07-19-2006, 06:17 PM
I keep hearing that the DDC is better than the D5 but i've yet to read
a explanation why ? , Not that i want a D5 as i own a DDC but i was
of the impression that the D5 shifted 1500 ltr a hour and dumped it's
heat out the metal can on the rear of the pump as opposed to the
DDC that absorbs heat from it's underside.

nealh
07-19-2006, 06:33 PM
DDC ultra with modded top..ie a large inlet(ie alphacool top/Radiical top)
will have a large head pressure with excellent flow

Max head on a modded DDC ultra IMHO is debatable but should be no less than about 4.7m=15ft(jandersson? did some test and he got a head pressure of 6m!=~20ft with an alphacool top)

max flow at setting 5 on the D5 is 1200l/h which is likely greater than DDC ultra modded but with higher heat dump

D5 set 5 = max heat 3.1m=10ft
max flow= 1200l/h

DDC ultra modded top..max head of 4.7m maybe up to-6m and max flow I cant be certain but lower than D5 from reports

As I understand, on WCing..the higher head pressure is more important since our loops are too restrictive for the pump to ever acheive max flow...max flow is less than 3gm(this is with Iwaki pump as per Maxxracer??)

Anyone correct me if I am wrong

Digz
07-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Like the ULTRA the new D5 has been upgraded too thats why i asked if
they have added a speed sensor yet , But sadly not which is crazy in my
opinion.

New LAING D5 Vario Specifications:
Admissible voltage area: 8 to 24 V
Delivery height: at 12V: 3,7m
max. Flow rate: 1500L/h
Power input: 23 W

only 5 Watts more than the 18 Watt ULTRA but still 1mtr less Delivery height than the DDC i suppose that makes it better but i wonder how the pumps
compair when loop restrictions / negative back pressure are in place.

septim
07-19-2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.systemcooling.com/mcp350_mod-01.html

self modded top and some testing done, we could do this ourselves...

nealh
07-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Like the ULTRA the new D5 has been upgraded too thats why i asked if
they have added a speed sensor yet , But sadly not which is crazy in my
opinion.

Delivery height: at 12V: 3,7m
max. Flow rate: 1500L/h
Power input: 23 W

only 5 Watts more than the 18 Watt ULTRA but still 1mtr less Delivery height than the DDC i suppose that makes it better but i wonder how the pumps
compair when loop restrictions / negative back pressure are in place.

oops I missed the new specs..I have not seen one yet at the stores I frequent so my ignorance showed again sorry

The modded DDC ultra is a monster for its specs....I do not want to sound skeptical but the only test we saw on modded inlet alphacool was 6m head with unchanged outlet...I would like to see if this holds true for others(the tester even questioned his results a bit)

I have seen no test on the Radiical performance accept make extrapolations from Radiical website....

also the heat dump is still more than I would like for head press...and noise maybe a factor , but unknown???

yngndrw
07-20-2006, 03:42 AM
but with higher heat dump
I dissagree with that. Okay, so the pump USES more power, 5 watts more infact.

Two things that aren't taken into consideration however:
1) Most of the D5's heat is thrown out of the back of the pump, into the air. Most of the DCC's heat will rise into the water.
2) So the D5 has 5 Watts more heat. Even IF ALL of the heat went into the water, how much difference would that make ? Let's say we have a loop with 200 Watts of heatload (CPU and GPU). What percentage extra heatload would that be if we added 5 Watts to that ? 2.4%, which is hardly going to cause a meltdown. Added to the fact that a lot of people have their rad inbetween the pump and the first waterblock to remove the pump's heatdump, it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference now does it ?

My 2 cents.

Marci
07-20-2006, 04:23 AM
With reagrds "old" vs "new" D5 pumps... there's an interesting thread on the go over here trying to establish where you can get them in the US... Laing seem to deny their existence at the moment...

http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=17847

nealh
07-20-2006, 05:52 AM
I dissagree with that. Okay, so the pump USES more power, 5 watts more infact.

Two things that aren't taken into consideration however:
1) Most of the D5's heat is thrown out of the back of the pump, into the air. Most of the DCC's heat will rise into the water.
2) So the D5 has 5 Watts more heat. Even IF ALL of the heat went into the water, how much difference would that make ? Let's say we have a loop with 200 Watts of heatload (CPU and GPU). What percentage extra heatload would that be if we added 5 Watts to that ? 2.4%, which is hardly going to cause a meltdown. Added to the fact that a lot of people have their rad inbetween the pump and the first waterblock to remove the pump's heatdump, it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference now does it ?

My 2 cents.

well i have a D5 if I set it setting 5(I usually run at setting 3) with my PA160 rad and Panaflo L1A fan I see higher idle temps 1-2C and 2-3C load temps....the higher head and flow do not seem to offset my temps...granted these are mobo temps
But I see a definite change..I have a DDC ultra with a radiical top that I will hopefully install next and I will see what happens

creidiki
07-20-2006, 06:01 AM
Nope - no rpm output from D5 as of yet despite my continual prodding at them to do so... Despite DDC+ being better, D5 Vario continues to outsell it...
TT Bigwater sell loads also, thats hardly a reason to buy them tho ;p

I'm not surprised though, we're way ahead of the curve here.

septim
07-20-2006, 06:17 AM
have u guys ever considered why TT is like always around...

nealh
07-20-2006, 06:36 AM
With reagrds "old" vs "new" D5 pumps... there's an interesting thread on the go over here trying to establish where you can get them in the US... Laing seem to deny their existence at the moment...

http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=17847

that thread was a very interesting read..right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing..for that matter right hand has no idea what IT IS doing:stick:

have u guys ever considered why TT is like always around...

ignorance on the buyers part...you have to really look for info..TT is not going to tell you they sell crap

yngndrw
07-20-2006, 07:32 AM
well i have a D5 if I set it setting 5(I usually run at setting 3) with my PA160 rad and Panaflo L1A fan I see higher idle temps 1-2C and 2-3C load temps....the higher head and flow do not seem to offset my temps...granted these are mobo temps
But I see a definite change..I have a DDC ultra with a radiical top that I will hopefully install next and I will see what happens
Hmm that is quite interesting. Will be very interesting for sure to see what the results of changing it to a DCC will be.

septim
07-20-2006, 07:36 AM
not really, they sell it to backwater countrys like here in the philippines...

if i ask around shops here, all you'll see is the TT, :<

there's just not enough demand here to warrant better than TT watercooling

of course looking for ways to extend the life and service of my P4 3.0 PresHOT AGP8x for 2years is also nice...

Digz
07-23-2006, 06:33 PM

I bet the pump screams when 24 Volts is shoved up it

:)

SiGfever
07-23-2006, 06:43 PM
My original D5 M# D5-38/810N specs say...

8-24v, 1P, 3-33W, 1.4A

MaGiX
07-24-2006, 12:57 AM

I bet the pump screams when 24 Volts is shoved up it

:)

Actually, the pump don’t perform any better after 14,5V, only thing you get from there, is additionally heat dump, but neither flow nor pressure rises after that point.

I know because I have tested the very pump myself, and I did crank it up to 24 V, and all I got for the effort was more Amp drawing from the pump…

The noise level did peak also at 14,5 volts :)

MaGiX

creidiki
07-24-2006, 03:38 AM
That doesent surprise me, many people are reporting better temps with it set @ 3 or even lower.