PDA

View Full Version : gateway fpd2185w 21" lcd

bigKr33
07-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Just for a reference heres a link to the monitor:
http://gateway.com/programs/lcd/

I just bought this monitor yesterday and i totally love it. THis monitor is huge very fast, and literally no ghosting and it only costs $499. I bought this monitor for my pc gaming, but thats the problem more than half my games won't support the funky 1680x1050 res. Not even prey supports the 16:10 aspect ratio, F.E.A.R doesn't support it, half life 2, etc.... However there are two games that i have that supports the res, and that is hl episode 1, and hl lost cost. And i have to say the game looks insane at these resolutions, but i already beat those two games.

So really what i'm asking, is it even worth it to keep it? I'm really suprised that prey doesn't support the res. Its weird because under preys settings, theres an option for 16:10 aspect ratio, but the selection of resolutions when set to 16:10 are the same as the 4:3 aspect ratios. And when i try to run fear, it won't even boot to any of my save points. No matter what i do for both hl2 and fear it will just exit the game when i try to play them with this monitor.

I really want to keep this monitor, but since it doesn't support fear and prey properly i'm a bit bumbed out. I got this monitor mainly so i can play future titles like crysis, and ut07, but if it really doesn't support the games i have now, it seems a bit pointless.

adamant415
07-18-2006, 11:00 AM
I have a similiar monitor as you the 19" version. I don't have the problems you describe in fear, but have heard some problems with not being able to load saved games....this is supposedly fixed in fear patch 1.07.

In fear I am am running a resolution of something close to 1280x768 I can't remember exactly what it is without going to look but it works good for me. You can try turning off the resolution reminder and the auto size on your monitor. That may help you. You access it from the buttons on the right hand side of the monitor.

Edited to add my problem with the monitor........

Since you have a similiar monitor as me I was wondering if you could try something to see if you have the same problem as I do. On my monitor when I use the dvi port on the monitor hooked up with a dvi-d cable I cannot get a signal back if I turn my monitor off manually and back on while windows is loaded up. I have to restart my computer for it to recognize the dvi port again. This only happens when using the dvi port on the monitor. If I have the monitor hooked up by the vga port on the monitor and to the same dvi port on my graphics card I do not have this problem. I returned my first monitor with this problem and the second one I got had the same problem. This is for the gateway 19" widescreen monitor with hdcp over dvi.

bigKr33
07-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Sorry man i can't test your problem i just put the monitor back in its box. I'm going to return it to bestbuy. I may just buy this monitor again in the future, but as of now it just doesn't work really with any current games. THis monitor will definantly have huge support for vista, and future gaming titles, and not to mention another price drop by then.

adamant415
07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
I hear you hope it works better for you next time. I know the main reason I bought mine was for hdcp. Being cheap and widescreen didn't hurt either.