PDA

View Full Version : WHY is my Linksys router making noise?

dmitriyaz
03-07-2003, 12:06 AM
sounds like a high pitched whine.
you can't hear it at all unless you put your ear within a foot of the router,
but it really shouldn't be doing that :mad:
there are no fans or any other moving parts...
it could be the same reason that low quality ram makes tiny bit of noise, i am not sure.
many of you own routers, and Linksys ones in particular. do you see any of that happening?
thanks

Tweaked!
03-07-2003, 03:13 AM
I've got a Linksys router, but I can't say that I've ever heard it producing any noise. Of course I have it setup in my basement, along with my cable modem, hub, and my farm.:cool:

dmitriyaz
03-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
I've got a Linksys router, but I can't say that I've ever heard it producing any noise
i haven't either, for a very long period of time :) but once i had my computer off, and i was doing something inside the case, so that my ear was close to the router. even then, i didn't hear it right away...
the next time you are in the basement, could you just put your ear to it and see if it makes ANY noise whatsoever? :D
thanks, i'd really appreciate it.

Tweaked!
03-07-2003, 05:53 AM
Sure thing, you're making me kinda curious anyways now. I would imagine that the noise is more than likely the voltage transformer in it. Most transformers hum a little, thats normal. I'll post my results tonight.:cool:

IFMU
03-07-2003, 07:18 AM
I had a Linksys Router for quite some time, never had a single issue. Power fluctuated one night, killed it.
Did a trade recently with Smiz, got another one. This one, makes noise. Never heard it on the first. It must be something like Tweaked said. So far it hasnt been a hassle or anything so I doubt its anything to worry about.

dmitriyaz
03-09-2003, 03:08 AM
thanks, guys :)
yeah, its not a hassle at all.
i was just afraid there is a beehive inside of it, or something :stick:
if IFMU has it as well, chances are its fairly normal.

Smizack
03-09-2003, 08:08 AM
That's wierd. I have a netgear here, and it's absolutely silent. I'll check the next linksys I get and see if it's makes noise.

22b
03-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Farm?

deerhunter
03-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 22b
Farm?
Mooo better join the Folding Team and get farming!
It is very exciting and not the lease bit addictive. :eek:
I have the Linksys Router, I cant hear a thing.....
Not at the Farm!:D

Smizack
03-21-2003, 09:59 PM
dmitriyaz, I checked with about 7 or 8 other Linksys routers, and all of them made noise. Most of the time it wasn't apparent because of the computer noise, but there were in silent rooms, and the noise stood out very clearly.

So I guess it's normal.

deerhunter, replace your hearing aid batteries and you'll hear it!:stick: :D

deerhunter
03-22-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Smizack
.....but there were in silent rooms, and the noise stood out very clearly.:D

huh....

how many of them there were? ;) Didn't they teach English at Smiz school? :toast: