PDA

View Full Version : SATA Questions! Help!

LUCI5R
07-17-2006, 06:14 AM
Ave,

I'm newbie at this as i've never worked with a SATA HDD before. I got my 320GB 3.0Gb/s HDD which i'm puttin in my P5W DH Deluxe rig. I was looking at the back of the drive and there are no Jumpers from what i see, where i can set the Drive is Master or Slave or anything. Like the IDE HDD's where i can set the drive to what i want.

This drive needs to be the Master drive and will have my OS on it. I know that there is a Primary SATA slot on the P5W DH Deluxe and i have to plug in the SATA HDD into that slot... but don't i have to set the jumpers to MASTER somehow on this HDD? Or is it Automatic? I will be having another IDE drive installed... which i'll probably set to SLAVE or CABLE SELECT... but will windows know that the SATA is the boot/OS drive?

Secondly, there is one Jumper set on that drive which says two things:
3.0Gb/s operation
Limit to 1.5Gb/s operation

How do i set it to 3.0Gb/s operation? Because my P5W DH Deluxe had lost of 3.0Gb/s SATA Slots... and i want to use that.

Thanks!

[XC] Lead Head
07-17-2006, 06:24 AM
Ave,

I'm newbie at this as i've never worked with a SATA HDD before. I got my 320GB 3.0Gb/s HDD which i'm puttin in my P5W DH Deluxe rig. I was looking at the back of the drive and there are no Jumpers from what i see, where i can set the Drive is Master or Slave or anything. Like the IDE HDD's where i can set the drive to what i want.

This drive needs to be the Master drive and will have my OS on it. I know that there is a Primary SATA slot on the P5W DH Deluxe and i have to plug in the SATA HDD into that slot... but don't i have to set the jumpers to MASTER somehow on this HDD? Or is it Automatic? I will be having another IDE drive installed... which i'll probably set to SLAVE or CABLE SELECT... but will windows know that the SATA is the boot/OS drive?

Secondly, there is one Jumper set on that drive which says two things:
3.0Gb/s operation
Limit to 1.5Gb/s operation

How do i set it to 3.0Gb/s operation? Because my P5W DH Deluxe had lost of 3.0Gb/s SATA Slots... and i want to use that.

Thanks!
Sata drives do not need master/etc whatever, each one has its own channel, you will need the IDE drive on Master mode

LUCI5R
07-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Hmm. If i have the IDE drive on Master mode... will windows be able to recognize the SATA Drive as the one to Boot from and having the OS?

What if i didn't have an IDE drive?

And if this is the case... what do i set my two DVD Burners as? CABLE SELECT or SLAVE?

Thanks.

Sata drives do not need master/etc whatever, each one has its own channel, you will need the IDE drive on Master mode

Silver Bullet
07-17-2006, 11:00 AM
IDE drives (optical or HD) work on the master/slave relationship, SATA 1 put .. one drive. So setup your optical drive as master on it own channel and then plug in your HD into SATA port 1. Then change the boot order etc in the bios. Windows treats SATA HDs and Optical drives as if they were IDE drives set to master. It doesn't know the difference really.

LUCI5R
07-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok that makes more sense.
Here's what i want to do...

Set my Pioneer Burner as Master & Optorite Burner as Slave. Connect them to the PRIMARY_IDE channel on the P5W DH Deluxe board.

Set my Maxtor IDE HDD as Cable Select. Connect it to the PRIMARY_EIDE channel on the P5W DH Deluxe.

Connect the SATA2 HDD to the SATA Port 1 on the P5W DH Deluxe.

In Bios, change boot order so it loads OS from SATA Drive.

Will this work fine?

Thanks!

IDE drives (optical or HD) work on the master/slave relationship, SATA 1 put .. one drive. So setup your optical drive as master on it own channel and then plug in your HD into SATA port 1. Then change the boot order etc in the bios. Windows treats SATA HDs and Optical drives as if they were IDE drives set to master. It doesn't know the difference really.