PDA

View Full Version : Linux Questions

[XC] moddolicous
07-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Well, I got my first install of linux (ubuntu 6.06) working, and am so far pretty happy with it. Here is the system I have it running on:
DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250gb
Sempron 2600 @ 2.4ghz (not currently)
1gb ram
There are just a few questions that I need help with.
1: When I try to install the nforce 3 drivers and I sh the install, it says it needs to be run as root. I tried to sudo and that hadn't worked either.
2:When I start ubuntu, it takes a while to load services that I dont use (raid, bluetooth, and some others). Is there any way I can prevent that from starting.
3: Although typing my login & password in each time is probably safer, is there any way I can have it auto-login.
Any help you guys can give is very appreciated. Thanks again.

bouc
07-17-2006, 04:25 AM
(...) ubuntu 6.06 (...)
DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250gb

1: When I try to install the nforce 3 drivers and I sh the install, it says it needs to be run as root. I tried to sudo and that hadn't worked either.
2:When I start ubuntu, it takes a while to load services that I dont use (raid, bluetooth, and some others). Is there any way I can prevent that from starting.
3: Although typing my login & password in each time is probably safer, is there any way I can have it auto-login.
Any help you guys can give is very appreciated. Thanks again.

Hi

1: you might have a link in the menu for super user shell ;) try that (or do a sudo xterm ;))
2: I'm on Debian, check if /etc/modutile/ exist, if yes, you can comment lines you don't want in the files like aliases... and run update-modules to update the /etc/modprobe.conf
but WARNING, don't do anything your not sure or you'll have serious problemes !!!!!
3: I think that in the gdm config file, there is a section about that ;) have a look

++

Bouc

[XC] moddolicous
07-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks, but how would I run the root thing?? (program name is nforce.run) Like this:
sudo nforce.run
sudo ./nforce.run
On the instructions, it says type in sh, and when I do, it uncompresses and says I need admin priorities or something.

uOpt
07-17-2006, 12:50 PM
You shouldn't have to install the NForce drivers provided by NVidia anyway. Most likely they break something, the OpenSource drivers that come with the Linux kernel are the better choice.

If you don't miss any devices don't install the NVidia binary drivers. And if you miss something look into making it work in the current framework first.

(This does not apply to the NVidia graphics drivers)

[XC] moddolicous
07-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Alright, so I shouldnt install the chipset drivers?? What about video card drivers?? It seems like everything works (so far). BTW, is there an itunes for linux so that I dont have to figure out a dual-boot for my brothers comp??

uOpt
07-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Yes.

Install the binary NVidia video drivers if you need 3D and/or power management (Laptop).

Do not install the binary NVidia drivers for any of that chipset or sound stuff until you have tried all other possibilities to make it run with the standard kernel. This might involve upgrading to the newest standard kernel.

I think there's a gtkipod thingy to load your ipod but I don't know about itunes. Itunes is not exactly friendly to OpenSource.

[XC] mysticmerlin
09-10-2006, 12:06 AM
On Linux I log in as root and install all the drivers and stuff for the group then log into my account (don't run under root) and go from there instead of the su to root :bs: just my :2cents:

wr0x2
09-17-2006, 08:36 AM
To run binaries as root:

sudo ./*yourbin*

su root (gives you a root shell, then run the cmd as normal)

Seconding "don't install any binary drivers except for the video"

starbuck8968
09-19-2006, 09:35 PM
you can do sudo sh nforce.run as well