PDA

View Full Version : Vreg Low ESR filter cap replacements

proth
07-16-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm modding my P5W DH to put some of the Vcore filter caps on the backside of the board to make insulation more easier. ASUS uses Sanyo SEPC series low ESR 820uf caps, 7mO equivalent ESR. Can't find Sanyo but can get United Chemicon PSA series, 820uf super low ESR ~7mO equivalents.

It really should be OK to have 1/2 the phase, think the + side, using different brand filter caps, but you never know.

Anyone heard of problems when doing this?

Thanks....

hixie
07-19-2006, 07:44 PM
It will work, but don't plan on overclocking.
If you need caps, send Big Pope a PM. I'm sure he will be happy to supply you with a few samples. I got a few caps from him and so far they are excellent!

proth
07-20-2006, 02:58 AM
It will work, but don't plan on overclocking.
If you need caps, send Big Pope a PM. I'm sure he will be happy to supply you with a few samples. I got a few caps from him and so far they are excellent!

So you're saying big pope has exact Sanyo caps??. Put the chemicons in already, Mosfet temp is the same, will check ripple under max load tonight. If there's a problem, I'll change all of them over, they are better caps than the Sanyos.

hixie
07-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Big Pope sells Samxon caps, which i thought would no way be any good, but he offered me some samples and i was very suprised with how well they performed.

I placed the caps in my P4C800E-Deluxe, with a 3.0E running at 4Ghz. My overclock increased by 300Mhz just by replacing a few caps. The machine is still running 24/7 and is my dedicated Dimes, MJ-12 and SOB rig.