PDA

View Full Version : P95, memtest stable, but not idle stable???

Muk
07-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi all
Ive been having a very frustrating problem recently. My rig is unstable doing light tasks (web browsing, programming, or even just sitting there) and it resets quite often. Thing is, it was P95 stable for over 3 days and Memtest stable for over a day. Temps are fine. This happens even when it is underclocked to 1.8 (170 fsb). I have tried 3 PSUs, same behavior. Does any one have any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks.

Sys specs
Shuttle SN41G2 v1
AthlonXP-M 2600+
1GB Mushkin DDR400
X800XL AGP
80GB HDD

Sparky
07-16-2006, 11:34 AM
My bet it isn't hardware, but software. I forget what computer it was but there was this one that I was working on that as long as you used it the computer ran fine but let it idle for 5-10 minutes and it would freeze up. Wasn't the screensaver, because if you manually activated it that was fine.

Ended up being some problem with windows, reloaded it and all the problems went away.

Muk
07-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your reply. I thought it was a software issue too. I formatted a week ago but it is still having issues. One time after a reboot the disk did not spin up. Perhaps the voltage circuitry on the mobo is going bad.

TMM
07-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Check for buldging/leaking Caps, and reseat the chipset Heatsink. Also try another harddrive if you can.

Tilmitt
07-19-2006, 06:24 AM
I have a 2600+ XP-M and exactly the same problem. I am prime stable but often bluescreen, though it's usually while playing games. It has me pretty stumped too. Personally I think it's the PSU but don't have another to test it.

akijikan
07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
I have a 2600+ XP-M and exactly the same problem. I am prime stable but often bluescreen, though it's usually while playing games. It has me pretty stumped too. Personally I think it's the PSU but don't have another to test it.

Prime Stable is not the end-all-be-all of absolute stability, though it's good try looping 3dMark 03 overnight or whenever

DoubleZero
07-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi all
Ive been having a very frustrating problem recently. My rig is unstable doing light tasks (web browsing, programming, or even just sitting there) and it resets quite often. Thing is, it was P95 stable for over 3 days and Memtest stable for over a day. Temps are fine. This happens even when it is underclocked to 1.8 (170 fsb). I have tried 3 PSUs, same behavior. Does any one have any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks.

S&M.

Tilmitt
07-19-2006, 03:18 PM
What's S&M?

Muk
07-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, I formatted it, and with no additional programs installed, let it sit at the desktop. 3 days later it had blue screened with the same error message as before the format. This was with the onboard video and hard drive installed. The HD is reading fine in the SMART utility. What else do you think could be wrong? It is still very stable for hours under full load (PREY :) )

dice
07-29-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm experiencing about the same issue with my new AM2, sempron 3000+ rig. 10+ hours prime stable but if I leave the system on it's own it reboots. If i'm browsing the web it doesn't seem to reboot.

I messed with some settings and it seemed to do it. Messed some more fixed it. Messed more again and it's doing it again. The only thing that I changed was to disable the 3.5" floppy in the bios (it's not plugged in anyway) and it doens't seem to be rebooting now :confused: wtf
edit: nope it's still crashing :@ ...i guess i'll check my psu next
edit2: pus rails are solid, underclocking RAM doesn't help. I'm returning my mainboard!

Muk
07-31-2006, 07:15 PM
What's S&M?
Please enlighten us.