PDA

View Full Version : Can a SATA data cable be used to connect a SATA II drive to a SATA II port ?

ben ifin
07-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Hi

I have the original red SATA cables that came with my Giga K8NS Ultra 939 board - the board only came with 1st generation SATA so I *presume* these red SATA cables are also 1st generation SATA data cables.

I have since bought a Seagate SATA II drive and am in need of a data cable for it.

The board the SATA II drive is going into has SATA II, but the data cables are missing ......so..... my question is ....

- can I use my 1st generatrion SATA data cables to connect a SATA II drive to a SATA II port ?

- if yes, will the drive run and work at the full SATA II speed or something slower ?

Thanks,
Ben

Silver Bullet
07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
You can use the older cables .. the new cables are pretty much the same just have a "better" connector. Otherwise the speed in the end is the same. I'm using a mix of older red ones and new orange ones from my P5W Dh and no difference at all.

Magnj
08-24-2006, 02:48 PM
just the info I was looking for. I'm gonna order a generic SATA cable + Power cable thinger for my sata II drive then.