PDA

View Full Version : JBOD data recovery

celerity
07-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I have 3 Seagate 7200.10 320 GB disks and I was thinking of running JBOD since I'm not sure my future motherboard will support RAID 5. I thought RAID 0 would be a good choice but after reading a few articles I realized it would be to risky to lose all data if one disk craches.

JBOD seems like like something between RAID 0 and RAID 5. I found this on a webpage:

'Easier Disaster Recovery: If a disk in a RAID 0 volume dies, the data on every disk in the array is essentially destroyed because all the files are striped; if a drive in a JBOD set dies then it may be easier to recover the files on the other drives (but then again, it might not, depending on how the operating system manages the disks.) Considering that you should be doing regular backups regardless, and that even under JBOD recovery can be difficult, this too is a minor advantage.'

What's the chance to recover the lost data if I'm running WinXP (NTFS)? If I use JBOD on my 3x320 GB drives and copy e.g a movie on it, will I completely lose the data if one of the disks crashes? Is single drive a better choice then?

cel

ripken204
07-15-2006, 06:17 PM
none! jbod is big time crap. you will only get the data that was on the 2 other drives. the 3rd hdd is just gone. do not use this! why dont u just use raid0 for 2 drives and manually backup your files onto the 3rd drive if ur worried that much. jbos gives absolutly no performance improvement, only a decrease in performance, its pointless.

celerity
07-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Ok, thanks. I will run RAID0 or single drives then :).