PDA

View Full Version : Prommy and r404

Arky
03-06-2003, 07:19 AM
lo all

I have Prommy (prometeia) and i would be interested in changing the gas !!

has anyone done this yet ??

I was thinking of r404 as this seems to be available and a good solution for lower temps over r143, which it's running on atm, i have been quoted £30 but i don't now how much gas to charge it with ??
it's holds 58g of r134a but how much r404 should i fill it with ???

Anyone who has done this with a prommy or nows there stuff please advise me thxs

Arky

Karatekid
03-06-2003, 03:49 PM
I don't know exactly how to calculate the amount of R404 you are ought to use. Make sure you ask DaBit or BOWMAN about that. It might be helpfull if you were to get the specs of the Prommy compressor in .PDF from danfoss.

I've got a complete list of all refrigerants' properties here: http://members.home.nl/jan.barelds/Refrigerants.pdf

Karatekid
03-06-2003, 03:52 PM
...another thing,
I don't think anyone tried before, @ least not to my knowledge. I do know it's been (presumably) done to a VapoChill Classic though, which also uses R134a.

DaGooch
03-06-2003, 03:54 PM
I believe Tom Holck successfully charged the Prometeia with 40 grams of R404a. You might trying private messaging him for confirmation. Here is the post http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=101142#post101142

Karatekid
03-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Nice!

I "favorited" the thread's URL too, as I'm gonna step out of the DIY phase-change thing also.

Arky
03-06-2003, 04:35 PM
thx peeps i've PMed him :)

8itchmaker
03-08-2003, 11:09 AM
arky can you keep us up to date on this :D

im very interested in doing it to mine aswell

and where you gettin a qoute of 30 quid if u dont mind me asking

cheers

Arky
03-09-2003, 03:04 AM
quote from a local friendly refridgeration shop and yep will post here my resaults at the end of march as thats when it's being done.

Arky :banana:

Arky
03-10-2003, 05:26 AM
I have pm'ed Tom Holck but no replie :confused:

can anyone help thxs arky.

DisposableHero
03-16-2003, 10:56 PM
please let us know what u find

Arky
04-08-2003, 03:42 AM
well it's done

not got the time to play much today but here is the results so far

old idle temp -41/-39 old hot cpu test temp -31/-29
new idle temp -46---- new hot cpu test temp -40/-39
-17c cpu internal temp sensor idle

so not a lot at idle but nice when under full load the evap sits at -40c

was expecting better though + have to have fans on full chat as the condenser is warm otherwise at the out side

will mod more i think i need better air flow over the condenser as it warm still.

erm this is with my 2.26 at 3.06 as well might see if it will clock higher stable as well l8er

Arky

Karatekid
04-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Awesome load evap temps you got there!! Great stuff!

The Delta-T between evap temp and CPU internal temp sensor is quite high though. 29'C seems quite a lot of efficiency lost over such a small distance...
What is the CPU temp like when stressed, if I may ask?

full loaded
04-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I will let my prometeia fill whit r404a to, so I have to fill it with 40 grams of R404a?
and where can I let him fill (at what kind of shop) thx.

Arky
04-08-2003, 09:30 AM
well running hot cpu, witch keeps cpu at full load it's reading -9 average.

what you think Arky

why is my idle temp not that low but under load it don't warm up very much like it did with r134a ??

Arky
04-08-2003, 09:40 AM
full loaded, m8 it's not that simple ! it's even simpler :D just get them to fill it with r404a thay did it with a bottle of r404a and a set of dials, (you need them to fit a valve bolt on one, two minute job) then you keep letting very little amounts out to get the best lowest temps also the compressor isn't freezing around the evaphead pipes base to much :)

Hope this makes sense Arky

Karatekid, do you think my evap to core need reseating ??

Karatekid
04-08-2003, 09:56 AM
Arky,

Well, I don't know if the evap needs to be reseated. I'm having a delta-T of 17'C working with a waterchiller pumping liquid of about 0'C. So I guess the delta-T would only grow if the cooling-body temp (be it a waterblock or evap) decreases.
Then again, 29'C still seems quite much. I'd try reseating, and maybe use that method with them washers to increase pressure.

full loaded
04-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Arky
full loaded, m8 it's not that simple ! it's even simpler :D just get them to fill it with r404a thay did it with a bottle of r404a and a set of dials, (you need them to fit a valve bolt on one, two minute job) then you keep letting very little amounts out to get the best lowest temps also the compressor isn't freezing around the evaphead pipes base to much :)

Hope this makes sense Arky

Karatekid, do you think my evap to core need reseating ??

you said you let 40gram in.
now you said I just have to figure out when I have te best tems.
a little bit more gas is hotter @ iddle but cooler @ loaded I heard.
zo I have to fill it and test it on a hot spot to get de best results?
and what is a valve bolt (I am 17 and dutch;) )
and what kind of store do I have to vind to fill it whit, there no special refridgeration shop our something sofar I know :mad:

Arky
04-08-2003, 02:48 PM
m8 you best bet is to wonder down to you local fridge repair shop and have a chat with some helpfull chap in there.

but what i can say, is the valve to charge it can be a simple bolt on job, it clamps round the low presure pipe and then it's simple fill with some r404a run it up load it then release a little gas and watch temps keep letting gas out till it temps stop lowering give it 5mins between each squirt :p

Arky

dutch find a fridge repair shop m8. :)

full loaded
04-08-2003, 09:15 PM
m8 you best bet is to wonder down to you local fridge repair shop and have a chat with some helpfull chap in there.

but what i can say, is the valve to charge it can be a simple bolt on job, it clamps round the low presure pipe and then it's simple fill with some r404a run it up load it then release a little gas and watch temps keep letting gas out till it temps stop lowering give it 5mins between each squirt :p

Arky

dutch find a fridge repair shop m8. :)

I have talked to some people but they say the are thinking the livetime of the prometeia is a lot shorter whit r404a.
what do you think arky, some extra cooling of the compressor and the condensor is no prob for me.
where I can let him fill is already be found.
but I dont want to have a dead compressor over a month

Full loaded

Arky
04-08-2003, 11:00 PM
i don't now about lifespan m8 :stick:

speak to the fridge shop m8 ;)

Arky

full loaded
04-08-2003, 11:03 PM
don`t you think its a bit scary for howlong your prom whill survive this ;)
I am thinking of it, the vapochill whit a less stronger compressor as the prometeia can handle it so why the prometeia self not.
are there no other people whit r404a in there systems (vapo or prom?)

Arky
04-09-2003, 12:05 PM
don`t you think its a bit scary for howlong your prom whill survive this rofmao no ! who cares if it dies i will fix it, untill then avit :D

full loaded
04-09-2003, 12:18 PM
rofmao no ! who cares if it dies i will fix it, untill then avit :D \

can you learn me that to;)
I think its rather save.
know someone that is running @ r404a for 0,5year and stile 100% living prom:D :toast: :D