PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best Seventeen or Bust CPU?

[XC]melymel
07-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I posted in the thread in the rosetta section but it got no interest so im making a thread here :p:.

We have now established that Intel netburst cpu's do the best in SOB out powering A64's and conroe :eek: however is there a particular netburst cpu that's best?

Is SOB cache dependent, i.e. could a celery match an EE?

If anyone can give results with varying processors of how they perform in SOB it would be much appreciated :toast:

Haltech
07-13-2006, 12:46 PM
P4 with HT... Grab a 805D and that should tear it up. I did here the presler was the best for the job though.

[XC]melymel
07-13-2006, 01:15 PM
P4 with HT... Grab a 805D and that should tear it up. I did here the presler was the best for the job though.

Cheers i'll have to keep my eyes open for some old ht presshotts they should go cheap soon :D

Also i have just started running SOB on my 805

In preperation for my build which one would be better a 4.5-5ghz celery or a 3.5ghz p4 with ht? TIA :toast:

[XC] riptide
07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Well I'll repeat what I said in the other thread mely ... (and to liven this place a bit) My 3.4 northy on stock speeds (yes on stock:eek: runing temp tests and acoustic tests on new case;) ) tears it up... and thats single core/instance. When I get my dual 120fans for the tec we'll see some more >4 action. The rates for this test only stabilise after several hours though... so anyone posting screen shots with only a few minutes run time don't really tell you the final rate/bench for this DC Project. I'll let you know tomorrow what it levels at. And I'd like to see some results from other chips aswell here.

[XC]melymel
07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Cheers for the input Riptide, this is my 805 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.24v :D, I don't know if this is right or any good but it's been runing for the last 2 hours and it levels out around this figure.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/7955/sob9cs.png (http://imageshack.us)

[XC] riptide
07-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Well this is mine... stock default everything.... she's still rising after 1 hour. Sorry for quality.... oh shhhh.. turn off ' transmit intermediate blocks '. Turn it on every so often only to return dumps. I have found that while its connecting to the servers it stops crunhing for that second or 2 which will effect overall perf. ;) ssssshhhh

[XC]melymel
07-13-2006, 04:44 PM
riptide:- Is HT playing any part in that score as my 805 has the higher clock but still can't match that, or is it the low fsb on my cpu that's having the affect? :confused:

[XC] gomeler
07-13-2006, 04:53 PM
I think I'll be picking up a P4 506 for ~$40 to start out my build for Conroe. If I do get this processor and a DFI Infinity then I'll post my results, should result in a 5+ GHz P4.

[XC] riptide
07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
riptide:- Is HT playing any part in that score as my 805 has the higher clock but still can't match that, or is it the low fsb on my cpu that's having the affect? :confused:Well, my HT is enabled but only once instance. Remind me what cache that 805 has? Heres a shot from today. She pretty much bottoms out on this on stock. Gonna push her towards 3.8 and see what happens later.... ;)

[XC]melymel
07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
805's have 1mb per core so 2x1mb. Mine managed to top 39XXXXX.X today with some tweaking ;).

[XC] riptide
07-14-2006, 02:16 PM
I fired this onto one of the laptops floating around my house (pc graveyard). Its settled on half a mil 5XX,XXX. Its a Celeron Tualatin 256kb cache 1066MHz. In a Dell Laptop.

EDIT: Fired it also onto another laptop... Mobile P2 400Mhz with 128kb cache settles at 175k or a little more.!

Absolute_0
07-14-2006, 02:37 PM
around 413xxxxxxxx on my Celeron @ 4.25 Ghz

Presler is prolly the way to do it. Do any of them have hyperthreading? 4 instances... ;)

hixie
07-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I just joined the team, with a 4Ghz 24/7 pressy.
Hope that would help the team.

[XC] riptide
07-14-2006, 03:36 PM
I just joined the team, with a 4Ghz 24/7 pressy.
Hope that would help the team.
Ya I noticed. Well done. Thanks. I dug up (almost literally) an Athlon 600 and put it into an unused case. just started, but I reckon she'll give the P3 1066 a run for her money.

[XC] riptide
07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Treied this on a 478 socket 3gig (15 multi) prescott E0 revision at stock. 1mb cache.

Sttle down at 26305XXX Ram at 3-3-3-8. single channel 1 stick of 512! :rolleyes: Disclaimer: this is NOT my machine! ;) Just trying out the client for the bench.

Paladin
07-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Is the conclusion that a Preshott gives the most points/mhz & points/hour?

[XC] riptide
07-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Is the conclusion that a Preshott gives the most points/mhz & points/hour?
Actually not at all! From the information that has been supplied to this thread, it seems northwood has something going for it. But I'm finding it very hard to get more information on types of CPU. I've even posted over at fREE-DC, but not sure of an answer yet. Certainly its agreed that at the moment, Netbursts are king of the hill in SOB, but I mean the first client version of this actually favoured AMDs back in the day... :confused: In the meantime I'm trying to get my hands on a Gallatin to see what it'll do!

EDIT: Goes without saying that dualcore (hence there was never a dual northwood) prescotts, would actually pull in the win. However paladin, the machines in your sig, would do serious damage on this project aswell.

Haltech
07-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Im going to try my celeron on this

[XC] moddolicous
07-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Anyone try dothan on this??

[XC]melymel
07-29-2006, 04:59 PM

Thanks, that's what i've been waiting for :woot: I have a feeling SOB isn't cache dependant and the price of netburst celerons could make a powerfull cheap SOB farm. Please keep us updated with how it does Haltech! :toast:

[XC] riptide
07-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Bring it PAL. We need a few more big hitters, and we'd own this, PERIOD! Since no-one, on any forum wanted to tell poor old riptide about procs, I went and bought a Gallitin, and a DX to do my own intensive research!. Gallatin plus TEC here we come!

[XC] riptide
07-29-2006, 05:30 PM
around 413xxxxxxxx on my Celeron @ 4.25 Ghz

Presler is prolly the way to do it. Do any of them have hyperthreading? 4 instances... ;)
I have a northwood at 3.5:eek: . Yes only 3.5 that beats that!! :confused: :confused: I N E E D M O R E R E S U L T S.

EDIT: Absolute, HT don't really help on this! The guys at ars say that if >512 ram maybe help a little. But my investigations say that HT don't help at all, if anything reduce!! I know the banch in this thing is only accurate as time goes to infinity... but still.. thats my take! Somebody prove me otherwise after a 24hr rate take!

[XC]melymel
07-30-2006, 03:34 AM
I went and bought a Gallitin, and a DX to do my own intensive research!. Gallatin plus TEC here we come!

How much did you spend on the gallitin? if you don't mind me asking I was looking on fleebay and they were going for £300 still :eek:

P.S. I am now testing my dad's laptop 2.4ghz celery on SOB to see how it does. Was an optimal run time worked out to get an accurate result of how it does? :toast:

[XC] riptide
07-30-2006, 03:43 AM
How much did you spend on the gallitin? if you don't mind me asking I was looking on fleebay and they were going for £300 still :eek:

P.S. I am now testing my dad's laptop 2.4ghz celery on SOB to see how it does. Was an optimal run time worked out to get an accurate result of how it does? :toast:Approx €320. (Euro) Ya they are crazy prices still!!! Probably kept up by their rarity. Although they are going for $1000 on some websites in USA. Thats the ones that you get redirected from Intel Website.! Crazy money!

[XC] riptide
07-30-2006, 06:00 AM
Prime95 has given me some answers to the topic of this thread. And I am well advised to heed his words. http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?p=104514&posted=1#post104514

Haltech
07-30-2006, 08:44 PM
255.93/gb per 24 hr period for a Preshott celly @ 3500 mhz. im going to crank it up and compare output.

[XC] riptide
07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
255.93/gb per 24 hr period for a Preshott celly @ 3500 mhz. im going to crank it up and compare output.
C'mon crank it man!;) Hey 255.93/gb:confused: ! Is that measured rate, or absolute score?

EDIT: hey what team you on? Seti? :rofl: I don't see you on the XS Roster!

Haltech
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Since you morons never gave me the damn pw to join the fricken team, im crunching for XS anonymously.. Thats the actual number im doing in 24 hrs.

[XC]melymel
07-31-2006, 02:29 PM
I thought we got rid of the password...

If I remember isn't the password "XS" ?

why do we have a password anyway i'm not opposed to people helping us :p:

[XC] riptide
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Since you morons never gave me the damn pw to join the fricken team, im crunching for XS anonymously.. Thats the actual number im doing in 24 hrs.
HEY HALTECH.... WE DON'T HAVE A PASSWORD.!!! :confused: WTF. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LOGIN AND THATS IT! ANY OTHER CLIENTS YOU ADD, YOU CHOOSE NOT TO CREATE A LOGIN AND JUST PUT IN XtremeSystems in the config page for team and 'Moron-Haltech' for Username :rofl:

EDIT: Does one not log onto and setup an account with the website first? Then you get an email! - after your signup screen! Then go to preferences n the webpage of seventeenorbust and confirm team affiliations!

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/signup/Signup page says "READ THIS NOW.
Note that YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSWORD to run the client software on your computer. You can run the client under your username without a password, or use the "anonymous" username if you don't wish to create an account. The password is ONLY to access the protected features of this website."

[XC] DragonOrta
07-31-2006, 10:00 PM
What are the benches that people are getting with CPUs? My E6600 is at 600---- after 7 minutes.

[XC]thewildblue
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Haltech you should have dropped me a PM as I have/can get hold of the passwords should you require them.

Steady now riptide.

[XC] riptide
08-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Steady now riptide.Woof! ;)

KaptainBlaZzed
08-01-2006, 05:47 PM
I just got a Free 2.4b C1 northwood from my parents.
Got it doing 2790Ghz with the RAM @155mhz.
it is currently doing ~333XXXX cEM's/sec

Ranking of the best CPU's in SOB: (based on cEM's/sec vs. Mhz's for a single core)

1. Conroe
2. Northwood/Presler
3. Any 90nm intel

Haltech
08-01-2006, 07:07 PM
HEY HALTECH.... WE DON'T HAVE A PASSWORD.!!! :confused: WTF. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LOGIN AND THATS IT! ANY OTHER CLIENTS YOU ADD, YOU CHOOSE NOT TO CREATE A LOGIN AND JUST PUT IN XtremeSystems in the config page for team and 'Moron-Haltech' for Username :rofl:

EDIT: Does one not log onto and setup an account with the website first? Then you get an email! - after your signup screen! Then go to preferences n the webpage of seventeenorbust and confirm team affiliations!

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/signup/Signup page says "READ THIS NOW.
Note that YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSWORD to run the client software on your computer. You can run the client under your username without a password, or use the "anonymous" username if you don't wish to create an account. The password is ONLY to access the protected features of this website."

Haltech Viciously Teabags Riptide!!! :slap:

Haltech
08-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Haltech you should have dropped me a PM as I have/can get hold of the passwords should you require them.

Steady now riptide.

Its cool James, i figured it out.. lowercase xs.. Rippy isnt aware i cant join the team without the fricken pw even after registering. :slap:

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Haltech Viciously Teabags Riptide!!! :slap:
excellent new sig material :D
i hope it isnt deemed inappropriate.

[XC] flat-four
08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Not offensive at all.

My 2.53 p4(Stock) settled at just under 3.2mil after 50+hours.

[XC]thewildblue
08-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Nice sig there, dont get this fighting with teabags though........;)

[XC] riptide
08-02-2006, 04:20 AM
I'm offended!:rolleyes: What the hell does it mean "teabag"! Sounds something very gay to me! Haltech does it mean you made love to me when I was asleep, or just well.... fired wet teabags at me.:confused: Sounds too much like Will & Grace for me.

And those sigs guys are tempting fate. (albeit funny).

[XC] riptide
08-02-2006, 04:21 AM
Nice sig there, dont get this fighting with teabags though........;)
James, must be some gay US pass time. I don't understand it either! :gay: :sofa: :rofl:

[XC]thewildblue
08-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Oh I know what teabagging is...I just hope Im wrong....lol

[XC] riptide
08-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Oh I know what teabagging is...I just hope Im wrong....lol
Tell me James. Here or PM please.

[XC]melymel
08-02-2006, 06:21 AM
:rofl: Riptide if you don't know you don't want to and I wouldn't recommend searching for it if you haven't tried. However I will let James describe it :lol:

P.S. what was this thread about again? :shrug:

[XC] riptide
08-02-2006, 07:05 AM
:rofl: Riptide if you don't know you don't want to and I wouldn't recommend searching for it if you haven't tried. However I will let James describe it :lol:

P.S. what was this thread about again? :shrug:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teabagging
Found it! :nono: Haltech, you seem to have a small obsession with male genitalia. :rofl: Was it not you who suggested to someone who was looking for ideas for to (I'll paraphrase you) 'Drape moviemans ballsack over the bridge of your nose to help you think' :rofl:

EDIT: And i knew it had to be something Gayish! And its at this point I'll ask for that sig to be removed before i get sick!

Haltech
08-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I like to use visuals that you will remember.. Keep in mind, i worked Jails for quite a few years.. I could say a whole lot worse but each thread would get locked down... Where would the fun be in that?:toast:

Movieman
08-02-2006, 03:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teabagging
Found it! :nono: Haltech, you seem to have a small obsession with male genitalia. :rofl: Was it not you who suggested to someone who was looking for ideas for to (I'll paraphrase you) 'Drape moviemans ballsack over the bridge of your nose to help you think' :rofl:

EDIT: And i knew it had to be something Gayish! And its at this point I'll ask for that sig to be removed before i get sick!
Hey, now lets leave my ..nah, I'm not going to even say it!:p:

[XC] riptide
08-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I like to use visuals that you will remember.. Keep in mind, i worked Jails for quite a few years.. I could say a whole lot worse but each thread would get locked down... Where would the fun be in that?:toast:
Ah yes. I rememeber you suggesting 'blowjob hack' as a sort of 'reprimand' for the bastage kids that burned down Philosophy's house. Mind you I used to enjoy watching that Prison Drama 'Oz'. Seen the series a few times now. I think it was the second time I heard an Irish person referred to as a 'Mick' on it, which I thought was quite funny (The first time was in the Godfather).

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-02-2006, 04:40 PM
riptide, what if i just censor out your name? ;)

[XC] riptide
08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
riptide, what if i just censor out your name? ;)
Nah. That looks even worse. Look use my name as it was originally... I don't really care anymore. At least you made an effort to addreess the issue. ;)

Haltech
08-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Well rip. I could always lock you in a 6X6 room and make you listen to Simple Minds repeatbly for 72 hrs straight :eek:

Movieman
08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Well rip. I could always lock you in a 6X6 room and make you listen to Simple Minds repeatbly for 72 hrs straight :eek:
Something tells me it might take at least a couple guys to get riptide into a room if he didn't want to go..;)
From his pics he looks like a middleweight boxer in his prime..

Hey, that line..Viciously...Damn, I don't think thats a word that you want to use with the family jewels..I get this image of them slapping someone at 100MPH! Can you say OUCH!:eek:

Haltech
08-02-2006, 08:29 PM
In some countries Dave, teabaggin is considered a sport. Speed isnt as important as accuracy... one must lay them properly, across the forehead or bridge of nose. In other countries, winners are deemed if they can land them effortlessly across the upper lip or chin area.

[XC]thewildblue
08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Im glad to see this was all resolved nicely now to celebrate lets all go and toss some dwarfes (http://www.dwarfthrowing.co.uk/) :eek:

[XC] riptide
08-03-2006, 05:30 AM
How about i get you into a room with the God Channel for 72 long ones! And yes thats with the things that also keep your eyes open (clockwork orange style). :rofl:

[XC] riptide
08-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey! Anyone notice different benchmarks with different blocks of work. I uploaded a block today, receied a new one. Stoped and restarted SOB and what ya know I have way lower 'rate' score on the client and thats with an EXtra overclock to boot after my upgrade to the WC!

EDIT: I've read befor that the rates can vary... but i dropped from >5XXXXX to 36XXXXX!

[XC]melymel
08-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Well I've never completed a block to notice :rofl: but this is going to throw a cat amongst the pidgeons in trying to find the best SOB cpu. :(

[XC] riptide
08-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Well I've never completed a block to notice :rofl: but this is going to throw a cat amongst the pidgeons in trying to find the best SOB cpu. :(
My real question is then, if the rate attached the blocks varies..... does the credit aswell? I 've benched the system with PCMark04 and the results agree with normal + the little extra OC so.... I dunno man!