PDA

View Full Version : Quorum Scoring... some thoughts

lv_dicedealer
07-12-2006, 01:58 AM
Well, after trying some various BOINC based DC projects, I have found a couple that do quorum based scoring. Most notably SIMAP and TANPAKU. Now, each one differs in how the quorum scoring is implemented.
SIMAP takes three scores from the same WU to make a quorum, then tossing out the high and the low; awarding credit based on the 'mean' score. This just devastates fast, high, scoring rigs like many of ours. HOWEVER, there may be a way around this. If we were to attack this project head-on and pull more WUs than any other team, then perhaps through luck of the draw there would be a few WUs that distributed to three XS teammembers all using fast machines.
TANPAKU on the other hand, uses a different approach. Whatever score is returned first is the basis for the scoring on that WU. This plays nicely into the hands of peeps with fast machines. To put it into perspective I have had several WUs which I sent back scoring ~7.90 that were awarded only ~2.1 due to it being sent back less than 5 minutes later than the other. It goes the other way too, I have been the first to send a WU back a get the higher score for both myself and 'the other guy'....

Basically, they both stink. BUT, when the time comes, and we want to attack any given project that uses quorum scoring, I think we can overcome this scoring simply in sheer numbers of WUs being processed. That said, FDC is attacking TANPAKU trying to get to number one... let them, the score doesn't matter that much on DCV, for now...

Bottom line, quorum scoring BLOWS MONKEYS!

[XC]melymel
07-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Unfortunately they want to implement a quorum of 2 same as tanpaku to QMC which would be devestating with such long wu's. As you said the only way I can see around is to raise the odds of being paired with someone with a high benchmark ie another XS member. Also Free-DC like to keep their bench's high using optimized etc. So it might be a good idea to attack a project with a lot of members at once rather than spreading out and maybe we should attack at the same time as teams like Free-DC as then the odd's will be highest that we get a good pairing.

Bottom line is though QUORUMS SUCK!!! :toast:

Jose
07-12-2006, 04:58 AM
The only way of beating a quorum based system is adding more computers that can rack high points to the system, That increaqses the chances of two high producers being in the quorum.