PDA

View Full Version : Need help with reinstall problem!!

mackanz
06-13-2002, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

I just formatted my win2k partition for reinstalling but when i try to load my other partition which is winxp it gives me a fault that needs to be repaired by pressing r at the startup when the cd is inserted. Can it be the bootloader and/or boot.ini?

My setup:
C:=Win2k
D:temp
E:Proggs
F:WinXp
G:Store

HereĀ“s my boot.ini from win2k:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Thanks!

Mac

Dramen
06-13-2002, 12:06 PM
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If partition 4 doesn't work then 2k is counting the extended partition along with the logicals so then you might try 5 if thats the case.

mackanz
06-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Dramen.
The difference it made was that i now have the i quote:
"(Windows 2000 root)\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or is corrupt, please reinstall" message.
Hmm...
Anything about that?
I have had it before, but that was a long time ago, i remember i reinstalled os then.
Any chance of saving it?
BTW, i tried to set the os to 5 in boot.ini as well with the same result.

Thanks!

Mac

Dramen
06-14-2002, 09:25 AM
When you see that message it means 2k can't find itself, which means that the boot.ini isn't pointing to the right partition. Which OS did you install last, because which ever it was that's the OS that will write the Partition table to the mbr.

And remember, both OS's don't neccesarily put each partition letter in a linear way, like the way you have listed them in your first post, if you created or formatted a partition after the install on either OS and then re-installed one of them, then you could end up with say, the original drive c as now being recognized as drive f by the last OS you installed, but the OS that you didn't reinstall still looks at the partition layout as before.

Sorry don't mean to be confusing. I've messed with this myself and it can be a pain in the ass to fix.

Too bad you didn't have a proggie like Partition Magic, then you could see the true layout of your hd as it acutally is.

Can you get into any OS at this point?

mackanz
06-14-2002, 12:04 PM
Yes i can run the newly installed win2k, no problem,pard.

The story:

I decided to install 2k first and add a few partitions to it.
My hd has a total of 5 partitions and i nstalled winxp on the last which is g:
Everything was superb until i decided to reinstall win 2k from a bootable cd since winxp didnt allow me to install it from winxp.
I did and the install formatted c before the installation begun.
I think thats when the problem where created.
It basically looks the same, nothing on the xp partition can be changed, since i havent even been there after th reinstallment of 2k.
It has to be something with the boot instructions.
Why it asks for the win2k root when the problem is winxp beats me, really.
Can it be that it looks for win2k on the other partition (XP)as well, even though the boot.ini is correct?
Which files does ntoskrnl.exe starts?
Anybody else that has a doubleboot with 2k and xp so that i can have a look at the boot.ini?

Thanks for the help and time, Dramen!

Mac

Dramen
06-14-2002, 01:17 PM
"Everything was superb until i decided to reinstall win 2k from a bootable cd since winxp didnt allow me to install it from winxp."

When you installed xp it overwrote the mbr and put ntldr on the c partition (w2k) this was ok until you did the re-install of w2k which then overwrote the mbr and put its own ntldr and boot.ini

"Why it asks for the win2k root when the problem is winxp beats me, really."

I'd say xp needs ntldr, the bootloader and boot.ini, it expects them to be on drive c.

Can you boot up with the xp cd and run fixmbr, and then you might need to run fixboot.

Here is a text on cmd console, just use notepad with word wrap enabled to read.

mackanz
06-14-2002, 06:01 PM
"Can you boot up with the xp cd and run fixmbr, and then you might need to run fixboot."

I guess that you mean the recovery option from the xp cd when you also can choose delete partition, install windows on selected partition?

I tried that yesterday, but a commandline showed up and i didnt know what to write there, so i didnt do anything. Is that the right place?

Thanks!

Marcus

Dramen
06-15-2002, 09:46 AM
With Windows running, insert the Windows 2000 Professional CD into your CD-ROM drive.
Click No when prompted to upgrade to Windows 2000.
At the command prompt, switch to your CD-ROM drive, and then type the following:
\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Follow the instructions on the screen.

Then when you reboot select cmdcons and run:

bootcfg /list
this will show what's presently in boot.ini

then run:
bootcfg /add

to add xp.

You should fix xp boot sector, which will be the partition where you installed xp.

This will make xp bootable from it's own partition.
fixboot drive name:
eg. fixboot F:

Or you could just re-install xp which should get you back to where you were before you did the re-install on 2k. But you will need the wpa.dbl file so you don't have to reactivate. Before you decide make sure to boot into 2k and get that file from \windows\system32 before you reinstall xp.

But try the first method first. If you don't mind screwing around a bit you can recover, it's just a matter of getting the correct info into boot.ini

mackanz
06-15-2002, 02:43 PM
I tried that from both the win2k console and also the console from the xp cd, with no luck.
I guess i have to reinstall it.
I i reinstall it from boot cd, can it keep my settings as i have and just do a "repair-install"?
I just choose install win xp at the same partition when i get the option or does it make a double-install?

Thanks Dramen!

Mac

Dramen
06-17-2002, 05:04 PM
Sorry mac for not getting right back, I'm in the process of moving..argghh.

Since I haven't had to do a repair (knock on wood) my knowledge about it is nil. I would guess that you will get just the one install and to the same partition, or at least the option should be there. If not then do a complete install which will get you back to where you were before the 2k re-install. Sorry bro, don't know much about repair/install but when your done let us know for future reference.

mackanz
06-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Dramen,

I know, moving is a pain.....
I tried the repair option, but upon restart, a BSOD and a error mesage came up, so a new install where the only option, really.
However, i have now imaged the os partition, so it will be easier next time.
BTW, have you trie the new Drive Image 2002?
Fantastic program that everybody should buy.

Thanks for the time and effort, Dramen

Marcus

Dramen
06-18-2002, 05:41 PM
mac

Couldn't live without DriveImage, great life saver. I have 5.0 and will probably wait for the next ver. Sorry I couldn't be of more help tho.

later