PDA

View Full Version : Issues booting up system ... system shuts down in 5 seconds.

Digitl Syndicat
03-05-2003, 06:43 AM
Hey guys, just needing some more tips to troubleshoot my issue here. Simply put, system boots up for 5 seconds (everything turns on) and then completely shuts down. I have basically removed every power connector from it's device (HD, FD, CD-ROM, all Fans and lights) Removed all cards, all memory and unplugged all the devices connected to the I\O ports on the back of the system. The system was running just fine, the only thing I did was replaced the HS+Fan with a volcano 7+ and another stick of memory. I replaced the PSU with another one and still no go. Any other ideas? I am thinking that maybe one of the pins under the mobo is shortening it out, because I can see one halfway sticking out the right side of the mobo.

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP with an XP 1800, 512 of PC2100. :slobber:

Hardass
03-05-2003, 06:55 AM
I would think Heat or Ram. You replaced the hsf and ram. Put the old ram back in first, if it still shuts down check that the hsf is seated correctly and if it is put the old hsf back on. Did you test it outside the case?

Digitl Syndicat
03-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the reply friend. I didn't try putting back the old memory back in, I figured if there was no memory sticks in it at all and was still shutting down in 5 seconds then something else is wrong, right? But you brought up the great idea of booting the system outside of the box. Can't wait to try it at home .... after work! :(

Tex
03-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Does that MB have a thermal shutoff if it overheats? How about a auto shutdown if the fan is not attached to teh fan header on the MB?

Its really easy to get some of these HSF's seated not quite flush. Be very careful that you have it seated good.

Cheers!

Tex

Tweaked!
03-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Actually, cpu and mem tests are the first thing a bios does upon boot. So if it runs for 5 seconds, it very well could be the ram. Do you get any beeps out of it before it shuts down?

Btw, Welcome to Xtreme:D

Digitl Syndicat
03-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys for replying with good tips. and thanks for welcoming me Tweaked! I have heard some good things about this board and so far from what I am reading, things are looking good. Anyways, system is fixed now, it was the freaking HSF. I upgraded from a 7 to a 7+ and the system did not like the 7+ for some reason. The RPMs were set to the highest and the mobo does not shutdown like the Soyo Dragon + would do if it did not detect the fan. In either case, I had tried multiple fans in the CPU Fan slot with a no go. I just went back to the old setup and that's it. Thanks guys!

Tex
03-06-2003, 05:57 AM
A lot of larger fans pull to much juice in the MB headers. They make a cool adapter with a dropper to the MB header to sense rpm's but it gets its power from a molex connector.

Tex

xgman
03-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Mine did this a couple of times when my cou was not in good contact with the heatsink. May be thermal protection kicking in.