PDA

View Full Version : Help! Installed water cooling, now system won't POST

mhorgel
07-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I need help!

I installed an Asetek WaterChill kit in my system. As the last step, I was adding the anti-algae/wetting solution from a syringe into the pump, which was necessarily close to the machine, as everything was hooked up and running. The syringe stuck, then gave way, and some of the solution splattered into the machine. I wiped off as much as I saw, but now the machine won't post when I power up.

After 3 or 4 attempts, I cleared the CMOS. Then I reseated the memory in their slots, and the machine POSTed, but I missed the boat on hitting delete to enter the BIOS setup. As expected, the OS didn't load, as I didn't re-enable the RAID. Subsequent attempts to power up (5 or 6) have been unsuccessful, even after clearing the CMOS again.

Since it POSTed once, am I correct in my optimism that nothing has been permanently fried? I have double and triple checked all the connections, and I do have a fan hooked up to the CPU fan connector on the mb.

A couple of more bits of information...

My mb has a metal plate on the back for dissipating heat, which was stuck on with what appears to be double sided tape, which I removed so I could install the required standoffs. It came off relatively easily, and I do not think I damaged the mb doing so.

My memory have led's on them, and they do not even light up, except for the one time the machine actually POSTed.

I moved my video card from one PCIE slot to the other, so the WaterChill components would fit.

I removed my sound card totally, as there wasn't room for it in the case with all the WaterChill stuff

What is your advice? Is there any way I can troubleshoot the problem? Should I disassemble the system and wipe the mb down with alcohol in an effort to remove any remaining algecide?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark

Waxman
07-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Try to dry it of with an hair blower from a safe distance.

Remove the graphics card an the mems from their slots before drying.

It happened to me once. I flooded an Asus P4C800-E with distilled water.

I dryed it of and it booted fine. And it still works.

There is a possibility that the board may be dead.

NEVER try to boot a computer if you flooded it. Dry it of first, then boot it.

I hope you got some luck left and all is fine.

mhorgel
07-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, it really didn't get flooded...only a cc or less of the wetting solution splattered into the system, and most of that wound up on the pump casing. Only a few drops actually made it into the system. It's not water, so I am not sure if drying will help. It's most likely polyethylene glycol.

Mark

mhorgel
07-09-2006, 11:50 AM
LOL I solved my own problem. The kit I installed has a fan controller integrated into the pump. I had the chassis fan plugged into it. When I moved the chassis fan 3 pin connector to the Chassis 1 on the mb, the machine booted without issues.

Mark

Feeling stupid

P. S. Running Prime 95 ATM...temps with Zalman 9500 53 deg., temps with Asetek WaterChill 40 deg. I know that wc kits don't get any love around here, but I will take a 13 degree drop and less than 1/2 the noise any day.

Edited to add P. S.

m0da
07-09-2006, 02:46 PM
thats awesome lol
id take -13o any day