PDA

View Full Version : PSU killing hardware?

kiwi
07-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Could it be that my OCZ PS 520W SLI might be killing hardware?
Here is the list of hardware that died in 1 month. I've had no dead hardware in 5 years and suddenly everything dead in 1 month!

MB Intel bad axe - burned with smoke PCI slot and mb dead
Creative X-FI sound - burned with smoke because of PCI slot

Aopen 975 (mb for yonah) - fine
nvidia 6600gt - dead, no post
x1900xtx - dead, no post

MB Asus p4gpl-x (cpu is dothan) - fine
wd raptor 2x - both dead
wd 250GB - burned plus huge smoke, I thought whole PC would go on fire, I am not joking about this one

PSU is a few months old and I don't remember any other problems, rails are pretty stable

I also have UPS (cheap though)

Waxman
07-09-2006, 10:13 AM
If your ups is "cheap" that can be the issue.

Did your hardware started to die on you after buying the OCZ?

There is a possibility that the psu is stressing the ups causing an overcurrent delivery be the later.

If your power demands are higher than your ups is rated at, or if it has a lousy build quality, that can be the answer.

I sugest a new ups from a known manufacter (assuming that it's the ups's fault that is).

Test the pc without the ups attached. See if anything dies. I almost bet it won't happen again.

kiwi
07-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Did your hardware started to die on you after buying the OCZ?

Yep

I had ocz 420W before and many other PSUs, everything worked fine.

As for UPS, I started using it not a long time ago (after the 2nd set of dead hardware). And I am using only Surge protection ports. UPS is Microdowell and I doubt it is the problem. I also have surge protection power strip.

I have changed everything but PSU, that is why I suspect it

RyderOCZ
07-10-2006, 06:30 AM
The only way the PSU would be killing components is if it is overvolting...have you measured the rails with a DMM?

Here is a post showing the measure points: http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7069

kiwi
07-10-2006, 08:12 AM
I have but the problem is that I can't monitor DMM 24/7 and I can measure only 1 rail at a time. I have tried monitoring rails for a few hours but they are fine