PDA

View Full Version : Install apogee WB on naked opteron 165 cpu

billdavis
07-08-2006, 04:19 PM
i am wondering how everyone is putting there waterblocks on there fragile bare cpus with the IHS removed?

it is hard for me to tell if the waterblock is flat on the die when i screw it down. i just push on it where it feels flush and tighten it down while holding it in place and then monitor temps and do some small adjustments till it is at my best guess

my temps are even on each core but im trying to see how everyone else does it
________
Beijing-Benz Daimlerchrysler Automotive (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Beijing-Benz_DaimlerChrysler_Automotive)

csimon
07-08-2006, 08:25 PM
That's what I do. I wiggle it a little after a few turns to check it. When it won't move any more I stop. I've overtightened it once and didn't chip the core luckily ...but it warped the mobo enough to not boot. After cranking it off a little it booted right up w/ no problem. I also don't used the grommets because by default they won't allow the block to reach the core. I tried once and took it back off and the AS5 hadn't even been touched.

Good luck!

kimandsally
07-09-2006, 02:07 AM
I put cheap thermal grease on the cpu then kept putting different sized washers on the screw under the storm face plate until it made a clear contact, it took quite a few goes but now I know when I tighten it until there is contact on the washers it is making perfect contact on the CPU.