PDA

View Full Version : New soundcard suggestions?

Lmah2x
07-07-2006, 08:59 AM
I currently have the Audigy LS, bought it probably 4 or more years ago. I'm looking for better now, any suggestions? Looking for one with a lot of tweaking options. Looking to stick with a newer Audigy but if there is better cards feel free to post and give me some info on them.

Zenphic
07-07-2006, 09:30 AM
The Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102188) seems to be a good pick nowadays. It offers a nice blend of features and performance to please everybody and at a reasonnable price (USD111). The only thing it's missing is digital I/O though. :)

http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/265/
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/soundblaster-x-fi/index.x?pg=1

Despite its faults, the X-Fi XtremeMusic is highly recommended. In fact, the card's strong performance in our gaming and listening tests, its low CPU utilization, and the X-Fi architecture's considerable potential warrants an Editor's Choice award. If I were buying a sound card for gaming and entertainment today, I'd spring for an XtremeMusic in a heartbeat.

[XC] Angstrom
07-07-2006, 09:36 AM
The X-Fi Fatality has an insane amount of features. Great for all purposes, but pricey. I managed to get it for 200USD on one-day sale on newegg.

X-RAM helps for CPU utilization in certain high-end games too, it's exclusive to Fatality and Elite Pro though. If you're just doing music and casual gaming, get the cheaper Xtreme music.

Vric
07-07-2006, 10:38 AM
X-Fi is definitly a good card. If you don't kneed the front bay, the Xtreme music is a nice choice.

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-07-2006, 03:35 PM
it depends what you want. if you want it for mostly gaming, get one of the x-fi's. if your looking to use it for music or movies, get something like a decent m-audio card

Anemone
07-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Gonna make the call for the Xifi music if you want more votes

ripken204
07-07-2006, 07:11 PM
what speaker do u have? if they dont have the option to use digital/optical then go xfi

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-08-2006, 06:58 AM
how can all you people suggest the x-fi without knowing his purpose for the card? if you wont be doing much gaming the x-fi music would be a huge waste of money, as it would offer worse sound clarity and no digital outputs for when he wants to upgrade his speakers.

unless you will be using it mostly for gaming, then the x-fi is poor compared to other similarily priced cards.:slapass:

its like telling someone to go get a 7800 when they might need the card for graphic rendering.

JoeBar
07-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Why X-Fi is a no no for digital speakers? They have digital out although it's not a coax or optical.

ripken204
07-08-2006, 11:32 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96299
the auzentech xplosion is digital. thats why i asked him what speakers he had. if he wants digital speakers, then get the xplosion.

Anemone
07-08-2006, 05:13 PM
He said he had an Audigy now. That is a reasonable bet he bought as a gaming card. Second he said "looking to stick to a newer Audigy".

Didn't think we failed to read the directions Westside...

Lmah2x
07-08-2006, 09:18 PM
I will be gaming somewhat. I play Battlefield 2, Counter-Strike, and will be playing Lord of the Rings Online. I watch a lot of movies also.

I have Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia surround and I also use Audio .90 headphones for gaming.

I am also looking to get new headphones if anyone has any suggestions :p
I heard some sennheiser headphones are pretty good, but I'm open to all suggestions.

[XC] Angstrom
07-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Just got a Sennheiser 165 headset (need the mic), highly highly recommended.

My old Audigy 2 ZS was pretty good, but didn't have all the features (inc onboard RAM, crystalizer) of my new X-Fi. It's definitely the best bang for buck though, I will be selling it off soon, only used a year.

ripken204
07-09-2006, 02:35 PM
well im pretty sure that speaker system does have optical in so u may want to look at that auzentech xplosion

nn_step
07-09-2006, 02:45 PM
X-FI if you use ONly windows and game. but if you like other OSes and like Music ANy Sound card with the Envy24 Sound chip is hard to beat. :up:

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-09-2006, 03:11 PM
He said he had an Audigy now. That is a reasonable bet he bought as a gaming card. Second he said "looking to stick to a newer Audigy".

Didn't think we failed to read the directions Westside...

so there you go, you trying to tell someone with optical digital speakers to get a card that doesnt support that. smooth advice.

good thing all of your assumptions are so correct, or you could of advised him a product that wouldnt suit his needs!:rolleyes:

qdemn7
07-10-2006, 03:14 AM
This isn't what you really asked for, but for bang for the buck you can't beat the Envy24 based Chaintech AV710. (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=chaintech+av710&hl=en&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p) Since it has the Envy24 chipset you won't have towrry about driver conflicts as with the Creative crap. Get the latest drivers from Via Vinyl.

Pirated
07-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Which is best above all?

[XC] Angstrom
07-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Disregarding price and assuming frequent gaming, SB X-Fi Fatality or Elite Pro. I've never heard anything like it in a PC.

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Which is best above all?

like ive been saying, it depends what you want it for.

gaming
listening to music/movies
music listening/creating

and then it depends on what kind of outputs you need for your speakers.