PDA

View Full Version : Via AGP Drivers & Cat 3.1 conflict, please HELP?

Liquid3D
03-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Here's the environment;
AXDA2400 12.5x166 or 15x133
Tyan Tachyon G9700 Pro, Cat 3.1, DirectX 9.0
Epox 8K9A (KT400) Via Hyperion 4.45, or ,4.41, or AGP3.0 ninstalled, 8X AGP.
PC3700 Tried different setiings (1GB)
WinXP Home
MBM-5, and Tyan's monitoring software show all temps and voltages to stable, and well within safe operating range.

PROBLEM; LOW 3DMark scores 2001/2003, when any Hyperion drivers are installed the I get a Black screen when running any intense graphics program including 3DMark2001/03.

Basically what I'm having is a direct conflict between any Via AGP bus drivers, and my Videocard drivers! PLEASE HELP, I'm confounded. Before I reboot and do a clean install I want to get some feedback that the order of installment has this much significance. I started with a "clean install" and as soon as I tried to run any 3D software with Via's divers Black screen which I need to hit reset, to exit.

Ruantic
03-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Actually your really lucky the 9700P runs with your Kt400 chipset, my Soyo kt400 dragon wouldn't run at all when i first bought my 9700P... I tried everything, nothing worked. I finally got it to run fine in 2d, but any 3d and it was instant lockup.....

The main issue seems to be with 8x agp, mine went a bit further and any agp 3.0 compliant driver crashed my system instantly :mad: My solution was to stick with the Windows xp default agp driver, I could also run the Via 4.30 agp driver, but that was a performance hit over the MS driver, and isn't agp 3.0 compliant.. I've read various fixes working for people, from changing system memory, to upping agp voltage... None worked for me....

The MS default driver was my best performing fix... you can go through the same 2 or 3 days of searching various forums for fixes but I would bet your not going to ever get that combination of drivers and hardware to work correctly....

It's actually funny Via blames ATI for the problems...
I've been dealing with my Via chipset problems for about 4 months.... I checked Via daily hoping for a fixed driver.... Finally gave up! My Soyo is an ok board, works well with my GF3, I've retired it to a backup machine. IMHO the best thing you can do is save yourself much frustration, do as I did, before you follow the same road.... I Just got my Abit NF7-S 1.2, 2 days ago, No comparison to the KT400, sound is so nice, performance is super, And no problems at all with my 9700P

Its unfortuante but i doubt Via will ever fix the problems with KT400 and 9700P, And I will never again buy another Via based board..