PDA

View Full Version : Ma New Rig

panda_boy
07-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi guys this is ma first post hope there’s many to come. I’m building a new pc this year and after a good month of planning i have come up with this.

Motherboard, ASUS P5W DH DELUXE S775
Case, Antec P180 Advanced Tower Case
CPU, Intel Core 2 DUO E6600
RAM, 2GB (2X1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC5400
Water Cooler, Swiftech H20-220 APEX "Ultra"
VGA waterblock, Swiftech MCW60
Hard Disk, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB S300
DVD writer , Samsung SH-W163A
Graphics Card, Connect3D Radeon X1900 XT
Sound Card, Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
PSU, Seasonic S12-600

I’ve went for the new core 2 duo instead of the am2 and hopefully that will pay big time as i have heard great things about these new chips.

nn_step
07-05-2006, 01:37 PM
go with Air cooling instead of water. Alot easier to do.

Zenphic
07-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Agreed, air-cooling should be fine for the processor, though if you really want water, go ahead :)

Nice build, I wish I could have something like you. You could settle for a less expensive sound card I believe. Fatal1ty hardware are filled with premiums ;)

apex32
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm 3rd in line to tell you dont get water its a p.i.t.a and you wont need it with the conroe anyways. As far as the hardware minus the watercooling it looks great. But im not sure you need the "Fatality" Its not really any better ;)

panda_boy
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Only reason I was getting the "Fatality" was to get the free headset which is worth 30 quid in the uk so I was kind of saving money but now I think of it I might just buy a really cheap headset and get the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum . As for water cooling I’m not too sure. After reading a lot of posts on the E6600 I realised that I didn’t really need WC for the cpu. Its really for ma x1900xt which I’ve heard is loud as hell. I was thinking of getting an arctic cooling accelero x2 but that’s really built for silence more than cooling and I really want to OC the max out of the card plus the look cool as hell so I’m still undecided.

Steensen
07-06-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm runing water on My rig (see sig), and am I greatfull I did that with my GFX.
First it's hot as the devils home.
Second, you need watercooling, if you don't like noise from your system, but then you have to go for at least a dual 120mm radiator, and a triple is to prefere with that cind of heatload GFX puts out, and silent fans.
Third, If you sellect water, Go for the EK X1800/X1900 water cooling block for the X1900XT card, since it performece great, and cools GPU, GRAM and Voltregulators (if you sellect it). My specement keeps my X1900XT OK cooled, but I'm limmiting the GFX cooler, because I'm running 10mm Push In to the GFX, so if you go for 10mm or 12mm ID, then you should be able to clock your 1900XT quite far.
When/if you choose water, then tere should be no reason not to put CPU under water also, and the Conroe gains 200-500MHz from powerfull air (Schytche Ninja with fan) to water, in the cases I have seen.

Edit: If you plan on going CrossFire later on, then the S12 600 wan't be able to suply a OC'ed pair of X1900 cards, go for FSP Epsilon or OCZ GameXtreme 600 or 700W in stead then.

apex32
07-06-2006, 03:53 AM
But is it worth it to get watercooling JUST for a videocard? Lots of people run X1900XT's or XTX's on air with no problems. And as we all know conroe isnt going to need water to see high numbers. Just food for thought.

panda_boy
07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
i Really want A quiet pc. Its mainly built for gaming but a lot of the time i will be listening to music. The pc i have got now is not bad but its loud as fook so the less fans i have the better i think.

apex32
07-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Or get good fans that arent loud? And a good case that dampens the sound? If you get a good combination of fans/coolers and a case you dont need watercooling for a quiet pc.

Cpt Twitchy
07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
It is a matter of prefernce. If you have the money and would like water cooling I would say go for it. You can build a quieter rig water cooled and get better temps than air. It all comes down to you and wether you would like to do it.

Steensen
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
You can build a more or less silent air cooled PC, but it gets VERY difficult with the X1900XT OC'ed, to get a silent aircooler for that purpose. The VF 900 can't cool sufficient, and the accellero is OK, but it doesn't blow out the hot air from the cabinet.

With a dual or triple 120mm radi in a water cooling loop, you will get a very quiet cooling, but still be able to OC all your HW. Placing it in the top of your cabi, then you will get good temps on those things not cooled by water.

[TAG]Imp
07-06-2006, 11:23 PM
You can build a more or less silent air cooled PC, but it gets VERY difficult with the X1900XT OC'ed, to get a silent aircooler for that purpose. The VF 900 can't cool sufficient, and the accellero is OK, but it doesn't blow out the hot air from the cabinet.

With a dual or triple 120mm radi in a water cooling loop, you will get a very quiet cooling, but still be able to OC all your HW. Placing it in the top of your cabi, then you will get good temps on those things not cooled by water.
Uh, u just got a slot exhaust blower... simple solution...:slap:

Steensen
07-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Imp']Uh, u just got a slot exhaust blower... simple solution...:slap:
No good, if you already has occupied all expantion slots with dual GFX and different controller/suond/lan/Tuner cards. :slapass:
BTW, thos slot exhaust fans makes a hell of noise, and therefor you may as well stay with the original X1900 cooler then.:slap:

[TAG]Imp
07-07-2006, 10:36 AM
it doesn't make a lot of noise... i don't know wtf ur talking about...
and if ur that obsessed with noise, OC a 7900 GT or somethin.... x1900s are about performance.

Nazu
07-07-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm runing water on My rig (see sig), and am I greatfull I did that with my GFX.
First it's hot as the devils home.
Second, you need watercooling, if you don't like noise from your system, but then you have to go for at least a dual 120mm radiator, and a triple is to prefere with that cind of heatload GFX puts out, and silent fans.
Third, If you sellect water, Go for the EK X1800/X1900 water cooling block for the X1900XT card, since it performece great, and cools GPU, GRAM and Voltregulators (if you sellect it). My specement keeps my X1900XT OK cooled, but I'm limmiting the GFX cooler, because I'm running 10mm Push In to the GFX, so if you go for 10mm or 12mm ID, then you should be able to clock your 1900XT quite far.
When/if you choose water, then tere should be no reason not to put CPU under water also, and the Conroe gains 200-500MHz from powerfull air (Schytche Ninja with fan) to water, in the cases I have seen.

Edit: If you plan on going CrossFire later on, then the S12 600 wan't be able to suply a OC'ed pair of X1900 cards, go for FSP Epsilon or OCZ GameXtreme 600 or 700W in stead then.

Watercooling is good is you are willing to spend a lot of money to it and have the time to play with it and it has some risk factors also. I'd advice you to get a good aircooler like Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Scythe Ninja or Tuniq Tower with one of these you could likely hit over 3GHz with that cpu, mobo and ram which is enough for games and pretty much everything else. The Seasonic psu is a great unit and has enough power for overclocked C2D&CF comp and for the information Fortron Epsilon and OCZ GameXtreme are same units and only different is OCZ's bling bling look and the sound level. Same thing applys to Seasonic S12 psu's and Antec Neo HE which are pretty much same cos Seasonic makes the inside's to those psu's. For HEAVY oc I would get a Zippy psu that has one strong 12v line, but probably you won't do that, right? :rolleyes: