PDA

View Full Version : Noob to liquid cooling / advice questions...

JPeitzman
07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Hello,

I am building a new Conroe rig and decided that air will not be enough for me. I have always loved liquid cooled systems, but have never tried it before. I am looking for something fairly powerful but small and quiet. As far as size, I would like it to fit inside of a Lian Li PC-V1000B. It will be a single loop to start with, just for the CPU. I don't plan on OCing much right away, I just want it to run nice and cool, but at the same time I would like that head room for if/when I do OC. This is the basic setup I was thinking:

Swiftech Apogee Extreme CPU Block
Black Ice GT Stealth 120 Radiator
Swiftech MCRES-1000P MCP350 Pump and 5.25" Hidden Reservior

I think that this radiator should fit ok on the inside of the case, but if anyone knows for sure please let me know. Now here are some of the questions that I have about the setup and the future.

1. (basic, lol) Does this seem like an ok system for my first venture into liquid cooling?

2. Will this loop work ok in the future if I decide to intagrate the GPU and/or chipset into it?

3. Would it work better if I just got a dual 120 radiator (which I am thinking about doing in the future) and hung it off the back?

4. Is that pump that comes with the reservoir able to be modified for higher flow and for larger fittings?

5. What should I use for coolant, ie... water, distilled water, fluid XP, a premixed bottle like what Thermaltake sells but from someone like DD or Swiftech, mix my own :banana::banana::banana::banana:tail?

The reason I am thinking about a rad box is because I don't really want to cut my LL, I love the case and don't want to risk it. I don't really like to look of having a rad hanging off the back, but if I have to then I guess I will have to. If I get a dual rad and attach it with a rad box will it be solid on the back, or will it wiggle around a bit? I would just like to go with something that will be inside to protect it and to hide it. It is not that I want to hide my $200+ cooling investment, but I love the lines of the LL PC-V series, plus I like to keep people guessing about what is under my hood. I also would like it to be a bit protected since the rig will be my main system, therefore be going to and from college, and to the ocasional friends house to LAN. Any help would be awsome, thanks!

stummerwinter
07-04-2006, 09:40 PM
1. compare *here* (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75873)

2. maybe not, because GFX-cards produce more heat then cpu´s, would go for min double-radiator

3. see 2., would put it into the top of the case, like *here* (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1541697&postcount=1603)

4. about pumps: *click* (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41495) - but all I read, there is no big impact from higher flow at the temperatures

5. destilled water with anti corrosion protection

sephiroth8748
07-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I would get an Aquaxtreme MP-1 of the apogee. http://www.petrastechshop.com/aqmpuncpuwab.html

JPeitzman
07-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Can I run a Storm with that pump? I was thinking about getting a Swiftech Storm or a G4. Does anyone know where I could get a G5? I am guessing that I would have to just look one eBay and for sale sections of fourms. So here is what I am thinking now.

Swiftech Storm (I like the AquaXtreme MP-1 that sepiroth8748 suggested too, I guess it all depends on how much money I want to spend)

ThermoChill PA120.1 (the price is not a huge plus, but the performance is, I wonder though how much of a difference I would see from this or the Black Ice GT Stealth?)

Swiftech MCRES-1000P MCP350 Pump and 5.25" Hidden Reservior

nealh
07-05-2006, 07:40 AM
I would not get a single radiator..if you decide to cool a gpu(which you will) ...you will need a new radiator

Start off with a 120.2....please

dnottis
07-05-2006, 07:53 AM
I have a Opteron 148 @ 3.0 Ghz (1.45v) using an Apogee and a Maze 4 on an X1900XTX (690/800 max overdrive OCs). With *GASP* 3/8" tubing and a DDC 350 pump and a single 120mm (2x Yate Loons in push/pull @ 12v) radiator mounted on the front inside of a Lian Li V-2000. My idle temps are 31 for the CPU, 33 for the GPU and load temps are 38 on the CPU and 41 on the GPU.

Despite what people here tell you - you don't NEED a 2x radiator for a GPU and CPU (unless its an Intel Press-hot CPU), you don't need 7/16" or 1/2" tubing and barbs. I have used a Tline and res and saw no difference. I do have a GT240 rad that is awating a tj07 Case setup that I will be moving to. Do you need a 2x radiator? Nah, temps might show slightly less delta but who cares about 1 degree when mounting a dual rad is much more difficult.

I know this is XTREMESYSTEMS - but some people here are just overkill.

nealh
07-05-2006, 08:00 AM
dnottis...your results are nice

I have a P160 with a opty 170 0550@2800 1.4v and x800xl..my idle temps are 32/33 and load 42/43c(mobo temp readings) w/ L1A@12v

my delta sucks compared to yours...wonder if my opty170 makes that much of a difference

How hot will the conroe be compared to a dual core opty....I know it is not hot running chip....

dnottis
07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks -

I would imagine dual cores would generate more heat. Obviously for less delta or a hot hot chip like a prescott a dual rad would be suggested. I just think it's 10 times easier to mount a single 120mm rad and not worth the effort if it's not required.

calvin
07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Do you need a 2x radiator? Nah, temps might show slightly less delta but who cares about 1 degree when mounting a dual rad is much more difficult.

:nono: Two issues with that. First a single needs to be paired with a high output fan to get good peformance unless running stock. But then who wants to deal with the noise?

Secondly the statement about a dual being much more difficult to mount. Not necessarily.

For example installed a dual rad (BIP2) in an Antec Sonata (like thats a huge case LOL), cpu & gpu blocks, bay res, and mcp350 without having to mod a single thing or cut anything. Was no more difficult then air setups I've done, just a minimal additional investment in time. And still there's lots of room left over. Sorry, but simply not the case..

http://home.cogeco.ca/~legarep/images/P1010061.JPG

dnottis
07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
:nono: Two issues with that. First a single needs to be paired with a high output fan to get good peformance unless running stock. But then who wants to deal with the noise?

Thats not correct either. The Swiftech 120MM radiators and Black Ice Pro are designed for low CFM fans. I am using Yate Loons which are 28 Dba @ 48 CFM. :rolleyes:

Single pass rads need high CFM, dual pass work better with low CFM - it depends on the design of the rad.

nealh
07-05-2006, 04:27 PM
dnottis..I hate your Avatar..hurts my eyes everytime...Yuck:sick:

calvin
07-05-2006, 04:31 PM
My point was that a dual rad is not necessarily harder to install, and one cannot argue the benefit of more rad area.

dnottis
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
My point was that a dual rad is not necessarily harder to install, and one cannot argue the benefit of more rad area.

Agreed. With the right case it's not.

@ nealh -
That better? ;)

ReD.SkY
07-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Thats not correct either. The Swiftech 120MM radiators and Black Ice Pro are designed for low CFM fans. I am using Yate Loons which are 28 Dba @ 48 CFM. :rolleyes:

Single pass rads need high CFM, dual pass work better with low CFM - it depends on the design of the rad.

No, dual pass is thicker, meaning the air needs more static pressure to go through it. When a dual pass rad is designed for low CFM there is very little fins per inch.

where a single pass has 12 FPI, a PA120.X (dual pass) has 8/9 FPI

thinner rad is better if the FPI is above 10/11

@ nealh -
That better? ;)

now all we need is napoleon in a superman suit and were set :D

dnottis
07-05-2006, 06:24 PM
now all we need is napoleon in a superman suit and were set :D

hahaha - thats the last thing we need!!!

"....it would be really nice if you could fly me into town...."

ReD.SkY
07-05-2006, 06:26 PM
http://home.cogeco.ca/~legarep/images/P1010061.JPG

Tygon right? Damn im good :cool:

qdemn7
07-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Tygon right? Damn im good :cool:Yep, you're a legend in your own mind. :lol:

ReD.SkY
07-05-2006, 06:33 PM
*ReD.SkY's ego brutally slaughtered*

:eek2: