PDA

View Full Version : Newegg Doesn't accept RMA's after REBATE!

wisedude
07-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I've been using an XFX 6800GT, but it's running extremely hot. I've had it since last August, and got it with a 50 dollar mail in rebate, so it amounted to about 220 dollars. Of course, since I had about a week after I bought it to send in the rebate I had to do it immediately. Well, now 10 months later i'm idling at 90, hitting 130 CELCIUS at full load(which is when it shuts off to prevent meltdown) so it may go even higher for all I know. I decided it's time to return, since I don't want this piece of junk melting down and taking my mobo with it. After filling out the RMA form online, and sending in my card I just noticed on the site they say "RMA's are not accepted on a product in which a rebate has been cashed in" wtf is this crap?? They expect me to NOT mail in my rebate which i'm entitled to, if I want the guarantee that their crappy product won't take my whole comp out with it?
Any suggestions? I'm going to call them tomorrow and let'em have it, maybe they'll change the policy for me although i'm not optimistic..... What can I do??

Delirious
07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Makes sense, keeps people from buying something with a rebate, collecting it then returning the product.

Does newegg even cover stuff thats 10 months old? I thought the latest was 30 for somethings.

Doesnt XFX have a lifetime waranty? Why not just call them for a replacement.

Ominous Gamer
07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
You bought a card almost a year ago, sounds like you don't know how to maintain a computer (hunch), and you expect Newegg to make an RMA with you?

WHY?:slap:

If the card is faulty, its time for XFX to step in, if its not (which I'm assuming) you need to buy a can of air and dust out your computer.

wisedude
07-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I dust out my computer monthly, and the temperature stays up just as high as ever. The newegg return policy for video cards is set at a year as well. The idea that your supposed to 100% satisfied with any product before you mail in your rebate is just absurd. If you buy it and have got five days to postmark the rebate, it's hard to thoroughly test it.....

mtl_hed
07-04-2006, 07:24 PM
besides making a fuss to get your way with Newegg(which may or may not work), the only thing you can do is RMA directly through the manufacturer.

Did you send it back to Newegg in the original box? If not, they have no way of knowing you cashed the rebate. If yes, they may notice the missing UPC.

This is one reason I always use a generic brown box for RMA. Most companies don't care what box it is in as long as it is in an anti-ESD bag and padded.

Fresh Daemon
07-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Why don't you just fix it yourself? It's probably a poor connection between heatsink and core, misreporting sensor, or whatever. I've never heard of a core just producing more heat one day for no reason, unless it was being overvolted, and it would take a LOT of extra volts to produce that kind of temp.

mtl_hed
07-04-2006, 07:26 PM
You bought a card almost a year ago, sounds like you don't know how to maintain a computer (hunch), and you expect Newegg to make an RMA with you?

WHY?:slap:

If the card is faulty, its time for XFX to step in, if its not (which I'm assuming) you need to buy a can of air and dust out your computer.

Why shouldn't he be?

If you buy a card from a B&M(like best buy, or ciruit city) they will honor the manufacturer's warranty. Wether it is 1 year or more.

Most reputable online stores do the same. If I see a store that says "RMA through OEM only" I probably wouldn't buy through them.

Ominous Gamer
07-04-2006, 07:30 PM
If you buy a card from a B&M(like best buy, or ciruit city) they will honor the manufacturer's warranty. Wether it is 1 year or more.

Most reputable online stores do the same. If I see a store that says "RMA through OEM only" I probably wouldn't buy through them.

No, no they don't; in fact BestBuy is either 14 or 30 days (depending on the item). This is why they sell PPPs (used to work at Office Depot) along side most of their products.

:stick:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?type=page&categoryId=pcmcat23800050001&contentId=1117177044087&id=cat12098
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/lookLearn.do?SESSIONLIN&cat=-13414&edOid=105452#guidelines

mtl_hed
07-04-2006, 07:39 PM
No, no they don't. This is why they sell PPPs (used to work at Office Depot) along side most of their products.

:stick:

ummm.. I used to work at Best Buy, my girlfriend currently works there. My cousin works for their biggest competitor, Circuit City.

Both stores accept ALL products under the manufacturer's warranty. They will do 1 of three things with it when the defective product is returned to the store:
1) exchange product for a new one. Then RMA old product through the OEM, they recieve credit for the return, not another product from the OEM(best buy calls this one DEVO - Defective Equipment Void of Operation)
2) exchange product for a new one. Then throw away(best buy calls it junkout), this is because they have no deal for RMA through the OEM
3) repair it. This only applies to products like PCs, TVs, appliances, etc. The OEM credits the store through a contract with them. They are an "authorized repair center" for these brands.

Maybe Office Depot is one of the exceptions, but most stores honor OEM warranties, thats why people still shop at B&M's.

Delirious
07-05-2006, 04:34 AM
I dont know what circuit city he works at, but the one i used to work at only has a 30 day return policy and on some things its even less. I would know cause i was the one who handled the shipping and recieveing of these items.

When things are defective and returned in that period then we rma it to the manufacturer and sell what they send back as "open box".

How are u goin to argue with what it says on circuities own web site?

Torin
07-05-2006, 04:55 AM
130C? Uh, yeah right?

If it's getting hot, why don't you remount the heatsink with some good thermal paste? I mean, have you even tried anything short of "dusting it out"?

apex32
07-05-2006, 10:10 AM
130C? Uh, yeah right?

If it's getting hot, why don't you remount the heatsink with some good thermal paste? I mean, have you even tried anything short of "dusting it out"?

lol, seconded

wisedude
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM
From everything i've heard, it's not uncommon for a manufacture RMA to take 6 to 8 weeks. I simply CAN NOT go without a computer for 6 to 8 weeks. I bought at newegg because I heard they were accomodating and understanding, i've now found that not be the case. I will not install an aftermarket cooler because that will void what LITTLE warranty I do have, and quite frankly i've got no idea how. I called newegg, and they're lying pieces of crap:

I start out the call, and state my problem. I pointed out that the XFX 6800GT was discontinued and the last time they sold one was 6 months ago (it's been off the site, I checked last night) Well, during the call they miraculously got back in stock! WOW, what a coincedence. I don't know why they'd lie to me like this, but DURING the call they put up the card on the site again, then get this, two hours later they took it down again.

Not only that but they INSISTED that it only had a 30 day warranty.... It says in their policy that it's a year unless otherwise stated on the product page, it wasn't otherwise stated. Not only that, but I did a live chat with TWO different reps who confirmed that it was a year warranty. These guys really suck...

Ominous Gamer
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
From everything i've heard, it's not uncommon for a manufacture RMA to take 6 to 8 weeks. I simply CAN NOT go without a computer for 6 to 8 weeks. I bought at newegg because I heard they were accomodating and understanding, i've now found that not be the case. I will not install an aftermarket cooler because that will void what LITTLE warranty I do have, and quite frankly i've got no idea how. I called newegg, and they're lying pieces of crap:

I start out the call, and state my problem. I pointed out that the XFX 6800GT was discontinued and the last time they sold one was 6 months ago (it's been off the site, I checked last night) Well, during the call they miraculously got back in stock! WOW, what a coincedence. I don't know why they'd lie to me like this, but DURING the call they put up the card on the site again, then get this, two hours later they took it down again.

Not only that but they INSISTED that it only had a 30 day warranty.... It says in their policy that it's a year unless otherwise stated on the product page, it wasn't otherwise stated. Not only that, but I did a live chat with TWO different reps who confirmed that it was a year warranty. These guys really suck...

Frankly, I think you are acting like an idiot and you are blowing smoke out your ass cause you aren't getting what you want. Which is extremely unreasonable.

First off, no where on Newegg's site does it say they provide a year warranty on anything. Its 30 days, 7 on CPUS, and its been that way for a long time.
Secondly, you own an XFX card. That means double lifetime warranty, I hardly call that "little." If something is broke it needs to go back to the people who made it. If you need a walk through on how to maintain your equipment, you call the people who made it. You don't bother newegg.
Lastly, the card more then likely isn't broken, of course you are so caught up on getting people to bend over backwards for you, you completely failed to attempt any troubleshooting.

Now shutup, or grow up before posting again.

Fresh Daemon
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Lastly, the card more then likely isn't broken, of course you are so caught up on getting people to bend over backwards for you, you completely failed to attempt any troubleshooting.

Indeed. Why didn't the OP start a thread asking for help fixing the problem (which is almost certainly an easy fix), rather than complaining about a retailer who doesn't have anything to do with the problem?

wisedude
07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I've been troubleshooting for the last six months. Oh, and by the way here's a quote from the newegg site "Products sold by Newegg.com are covered by our Standard Return Policy, unless otherwise indicated. Merchandise under our Standard Return Policy may be returned within 30 days of the original invoice date for a refund, or within one year of the original invoice date for a replacement." Whats that?? ONE YEAR. If they don't even honor a warranty because you've been inticed by a rebate, then the warranty means NOTHING

And guys, I don't know how many times I need to say this. I'm not a computer PRO like most people here, sure I can build my own comp and get done what needs to be done, but I would have NO idea how to reseat a heatsink or apply thermal paste, and doing so would void a manufactures warranty... If I pay 360 dollars for something, it should come just fine, I shouldn't need to pay someone to make it workable..

NickS
07-05-2006, 04:59 PM
First, unscrew the small little screws on top of the fan. The metal plate that says nVidia or XFX on it or whatever. Then, once you get that removed, there will be a square alum. heatsink. Remove the top right and bottom left screws. Then, put pressure on it with one hand. While holding down on it, remove one of the remaining screws. While still holding down on it, remove the last screw.

Gently give the heatsink a twist and lift. Clean with a dry rag or paper towel. Moist a paper towel and clean it gently. Then take some Arctic Silver Ceramique or any other thermal paste you have and put a blob on the core.

set the heatsink back down, put pressure on it, and align it with the 4 screw holes on the board. put the first screw in, tighten half way. put a screw in across from that diagonally, screw in half way. Go back and screw the first screw down all the way, and then the second. Then insert and screw down all the way the rest of the screws. Mount the metal fan cover plate back up, pop in computer, and go. If you want me to take a few pix of me doing this I'd be glad to.

Nick

wisedude
07-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Nick, I'd first like to say I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain step by step how to do this for me, however doesn't simply removing the heatsink myself void the warranty? I mean sure, I could put it back on and make pretend nothing happened but if they find out will they still take it back?

NickS
07-05-2006, 06:16 PM
No they will never figure it out lol. Oh btw, remove the fan first too. Theres 3 round headed black screws on the back. Then when you take the metal plate off you can lift it out and set it aside.

Nick

wisedude
07-05-2006, 06:24 PM
all of the mucking around with parts makes me kind of uneasy :( That's why i'd assume just get this sorted out. The main reason I wanted newegg to do it is because i've always heard they're the fastest, and if i'm covered by their guarantee then aren't I entitled to ask them to?

NickS
07-05-2006, 06:56 PM
You don't have a spare AGP or PCI card? I'd invest in a $10 PCI card from eBay to hold you over ;)

apex32
07-06-2006, 05:37 AM
You don't have a spare AGP or PCI card? I'd invest in a $10 PCI card from eBay to hold you over ;)

I'll Sell you a ATI 3d Rage Pro, 128mb.:)

Slayer2k3
07-06-2006, 08:21 AM
If I pay 360 dollars for something, it should come just fine, I shouldn't need to pay someone to make it workable..

You didn't, you paid $220 because of the rebate. :D
And this is why local "computer shops", stay in buisness. ;)

You can get thermal compound, at Radio Shack, BestBuy, CC, CompUSA, or online, through NewEgg, FrozenCPU, SVC.com, etc.. Arctic Ceramique is the best, as stated.

The heatink removal is wicked easy. The only part I'd worry about messing up, is the amount of thermal compound you put on the core.

Most compounds recommend a small dot, like the size of a grain of rice, or a BB, right in the center of it. Don't spread it out, as the pressure from the heatsink will do that for ya.

After doing what NickS said, your temps should be reduced drastically.

apex32
07-06-2006, 10:48 AM
You didn't, you paid $220 because of the rebate. :D
And this is why local "computer shops", stay in buisness. ;)

You can get thermal compound, at Radio Shack, BestBuy, CC, CompUSA, or online, through NewEgg, FrozenCPU, SVC.com, etc.. Arctic Ceramique is the best, as stated.

The heatink removal is wicked easy. The only part I'd worry about messing up, is the amount of thermal compound you put on the core.

Most compounds recommend a small dot, like the size of a grain of rice, or a BB, right in the center of it. Don't spread it out, as the pressure from the heatsink will do that for ya.

After doing what NickS said, your temps should be reduced drastically.

yeah just give it a shot man, your temps are way out of control. Thermal paste is easy to come by, everyone sells it.

wisedude
07-06-2006, 10:56 AM
But my annoying stubborness won't let me drop it!

ferrari_freak
07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Well I guess it's time to change the bad habits now isn't it? Lol :toast: Good luck and don't screw up, hope to see better temp results in your next post :p:.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak

Noldor
07-06-2006, 12:27 PM
We all need to learn how to remount heatsinks at one point if computers and hardware is our hobby. Usualy its so easy you wont even have to read the manual.

Anyway, if you gfx is really that hot you should burn your finger instantly if you touch it. Try it. I had an abit mobi report temps way over 100c on me because of a faulty temp sensor. On board tem sensors are never correct, some will be just off, and others will be way off. One thing is for sure though, and that is your card isnt running at 100+c

wisedude
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Well when the reading get's that high, it tends to crash? Maybe that's an indication that it is that high? I just updated my drivers to make sure that they weren't causing an incorrect reading, and the temps are the same. After a THOROUGH cleaning of dust, using almost a whole can of air the idling temp has dropped to 70 from 90, however under load I still see it easily hit 115 celcius or 130

Noldor
07-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Well when the reading get's that high, it tends to crash? Maybe that's an indication that it is that high? I just updated my drivers to make sure that they weren't causing an incorrect reading, and the temps are the same. After a THOROUGH cleaning of dust, using almost a whole can of air the idling temp has dropped to 70 from 90, however under load I still see it easily hit 115 celcius or 130

Would you please tuoch the heatsink with your finger. You should burn your finger badly if it really is that hot. Your gfx will shut down even if it isnt that hot because of the sensors reading the temps incorrectly. When you touch it it should probably feel pretty warm, even hot, and still work great. Just turn off the temp controled shutdown and have it read 500c for all you care, it doesnt matter as long as the sensor is incorrect and the card in fact runs cooler.

And reseat the heatsink and apply new thermal paste and youll be fine. Its not even difficult and i promise you it wont take more then 10 minutes even at your first try and the result will be perfect. It isnt rocket science you know :)

runmc
07-06-2006, 06:23 PM
wisedude

I doubt your going to get Newegg to change their store return policy. Unfortunately you got the rebate.

If I were you I would save my breath and RMA the card to manufacturer. If you don't want to remove the hsf that is your preference.

Please don't badmouth Newegg, they did nothing wrong.

ZX7891
07-06-2006, 06:45 PM
This is a normal happening when building your own computers, newegg didnt do anything wrong, runmc is right, youve either gotta suck it up and RMA it though XFX, or man up and remount the heatsinks, its soo easy

jumanji969
07-06-2006, 06:45 PM
If you can't live without your computer I'm sure you can spend the $5-10 for a pci video card to keep you working until your current card is RMA'd to the manufacturer. PCI video cards are dirt cheap on the forums, the folding/rosetta guys have loads of them usually sitting around.

runmc
07-07-2006, 02:43 AM
If you can't live without your computer I'm sure you can spend the $5-10 for a pci video card to keep you working until your current card is RMA'd to the manufacturer. PCI video cards are dirt cheap on the forums, the folding/rosetta guys have loads of them usually sitting around.

I have a PCI card I'll sell you cheap if you want to go that route. PM me if interested.

Nazu
07-07-2006, 10:56 AM
This may affect to someone who is thinking about buying from Newegg but now won't cos he has seen this thread and hadn't read it entirely but just the first post, not good :nono: This gives bad reputation to Newegg what is known as good shop.

wisedude
07-07-2006, 06:23 PM
To clear things up, i've had nothing but great experiences with newegg. Fast shipping, cheap. However, I think the policy of not accepting an RMA when you've cashed in the rebate is a horrendous policy, they entice you to buy something by waving a rebate in your face, then once you take the bait they cut off all support? Poo on you, newegg!

LazyBum
07-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I <3 the Egg but their growing use of mail in rebates is disheartening. I expect that kinda shady crap out of sketchy retailers, not the top dog. MIR's are a shady misleading practice at best, and often times outright false advertising. I won't buy products based on rebate sales, I have gotten screwed out of too many of them.