PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft Says PS3 Price Must Drop In 07

sladesurfer
07-03-2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18078

Ubisoft’s president Yves Guillemot says that Sony must lower the price of the PS3 in 2007 to be competitive with the Xbox 360. It is one thing to have the media saying you need to lower prices etc. but when your game devs and publishers start talking that way, things can turn ugly fairly quick.

Sony must be prepared to drop the price point of the PS3 in 2007 if it is to compete effectively with the Xbox 360. Speaking to business news agency Bloomberg, Guillemot expressed the view that while the PS3 will see enormous demand from early adopters this year, the price point could be a major stumbling block in the following months.

DCR
07-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Well, I know one thing. I was actually waiting to see what Sony had to offer with the PS3 before I purchased any next gen console, but now that the prices have been announced, and the specs still seem to be a moving target, I am buying a 360.

ugp
07-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Sony won't be prepared to have a price drop...they are already selling under profit at the release cost...

Sony is banking too much on Blu-Ray.

Ominous Gamer
07-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Sony won't be prepared to have a price drop...they are already selling under profit at the release cost...

Blu-ray isn't going to be what kills the PS3. Its going to be the 20% yield, non-existent quality control, of their cell processors.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106819&highlight=cell

Soulburner
07-18-2006, 04:15 PM
You guys that gripe about the price point of the PS3 need to consider what it will cost to add one to an XBox 360...

[XC] leviathan18
07-18-2006, 04:31 PM
they wont lower the price until cell hit bigger yields and move to 65nm

Ominous Gamer
07-18-2006, 06:12 PM
You guys that gripe about the price point of the PS3 need to consider what it will cost to add one to an XBox 360...

Add one what?
An HD-DVD player? Its not going to cost $600 for a stand-alone add-on like is planned first, much less adding it into the 360 if/when the time comes.

Hell, HD-DVD players are already half the price of Blu-ray players.

STEvil
07-18-2006, 07:04 PM
why would you put a blu-ray player on a 360?

its a format war, we all lose.

comrad
07-18-2006, 10:10 PM

Underprofit? Almost every console ever released sells under profit in the beginning.

sabrewolf732
07-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Underprofit? Almost every console ever released sells under profit in the beginning.

the ps3 has a $900 hw cost or something around there. that is some serious dough.

CBONE
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
How much faster is Blu Ray access times/data streaming compared to regular dual layer DVD?

I'm not a Sony fan, but I expect that developers will make more exclusives for it even if it turns out to be noticably weaker than the 360.

I sure as hell wouldn't buy a PS3 for watching movies just because stand-alone players are being offered at eye-raping prices. Just because stand-alone is at Rape x3 doesn't make Rape x1 a deal you can't pass up. If PS3 had a version at the same price as the 360 that didn't play movies, I would get it.

sabrewolf732
07-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Sony wont offer a version that doesnt play movies, they NEED bluray to win over hd dvd. Also, afaik bluray access is slower.

alexio
07-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Blu-ray isn't going to be what kills the PS3. Its going to be the 20% yield, non-existent quality control, of their cell processors.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106819&highlight=cell
According to that guy at IBM it should be 10% yield with all 8 SPE's operational and 40% with just 7. They chose to use "only" 7 a long time go.

Blu-ray is not going to kill the PS3. The other hardware is going to take care of that. I'm pretty sure it's going to be like this:

1.) Xbox 360 will have a more powerful GPU.
2.) Cell when fully taken to potencial is somewhat faster than the CPU in the 360.
3.) Games on the PS3 will be buggier because of the fact the programming is harder to do.
4.) Microsoft will win this round.

Soulburner
07-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Sorry I meant Blu-Ray. Must have been a little tired when I left that out.

John Carmack says the PS3 will end up being a little more powerful than the Xbox 360. I would trust this mans word. However he says at the end of the day when the tools are used to create the games, there won't be a big difference to the end user.

I don't see developers shying away from the PS3, sure it is harder to develop for (at first) but the tools will get better, just like they did before, and I think it will be like PS2 all over again.

Just take a look at some of the games in development that were showcased at E3...there were awesome titles for both systems.

ugp
07-23-2006, 05:48 AM
Blu-Ray I believe has somewhere between a 35MB to 50MB access time. I can't remember. But both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are up to 100GB Dics now.

All XBOX has to do and sit back and see which format wins and then make the add on player.

I went into Circuit City the other day and they have Blu-Ray players for sale now. In fact just one...and it was $999.99. And many few TVs can even support 1080p yet. They are just not starting to hit the market. Most people including myself have TVs that are 1080i. Which really isn't a big different unless you are watching a TV about 60"+.

This is just like the BETA Vs. VHS war back in the day.

Tim
07-23-2006, 09:54 AM
John Carmack says the PS3 will end up being a little more powerful than the Xbox 360.

Spec wise that doesn't make ANY sense at all....yes Cell is great, but don't forget it has a NV47/G70 whatever variant in it, now I don't know much, but compare that to the 360 GPU well.....

Do you have a link for that comment?

Soulburner
07-23-2006, 10:10 AM
No, it was in an interview in my Gameinformer mag.

Sanborn
07-24-2006, 06:36 AM
No what killed PS3 was no Smackdown 2007 for its launch.

I hate wrestling games but they sell like hotcakes

Haltech
08-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Sony wont offer a version that doesnt play movies, they NEED bluray to win over hd dvd. Also, afaik bluray access is slower.

True and let HD DVD stomp their guts out. they will be basically a yr behind if they release on target.

flclisgreat
08-15-2006, 06:39 PM
i think blu-ray will definetly be the next best thing. why you ask? i'll tell you, its becouse sony owns dvd manufactuing plants so ofcourse there going to support there own console. + go froogle a blu-ray player there all $1000+. that means anybody that wants a blu-ray player will buy a ps3 for $600/$500. xbox 360 sucks imo becouse almost all the games are on xbox and some are on the ps2. wii will sell a ****load couse all the stupid ppl will buy one couse it will be the cheapest console and its inovative. personoly i despise that remote controll thing with all my soul.

Haltech
08-15-2006, 07:32 PM
i think blu-ray will definetly be the next best thing. why you ask? i'll tell you, its becouse sony owns dvd manufactuing plants so ofcourse there going to support there own console. + go froogle a blu-ray player there all $1000+. that means anybody that wants a blu-ray player will buy a ps3 for $600/$500. xbox 360 sucks imo becouse almost all the games are on xbox and some are on the ps2. wii will sell a ****load couse all the stupid ppl will buy one couse it will be the cheapest console and its inovative. personoly i despise that remote controll thing with all my soul.

So basically you dont own a 360... :rolleyes: your opinion isnt necessary than.

ZX7891
08-15-2006, 07:52 PM
all the stupid ppl will buy one couse it will be the cheapest console and its inovative.

Yes, because buying the most innovative and best priced console makes us HUUUGE IDIOTS RIGHT? :stick:

adamant415
08-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Yes, because buying the most innovative and best priced console makes us HUUUGE IDIOTS RIGHT? :stick:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Go figure crazy stupid people buying something cheap and innovative. What is the world coming too???

flclisgreat
08-15-2006, 09:15 PM
you took it the wrong way. what i meen is the parents that don't know anything will buy it for there little kids couse its the cheapest. then it will sell to people(who arn't technological moron's)couse its inovative.

i did run it together

ugp
08-16-2006, 04:46 AM
The Nintendo Wii is going to be awesome. Nintendo isn't in the market to be the best...they are in the Market to be the most fun...keep that in mind...

Also in my opinion HD-DVD is going to take over Blu-Ray. HD-DVD has alot more features. And you can also have a Regular DVD Version and a HD-DVD version on the same disc...so switching everything to HD-DVD wouldn't hurt the people without HD-DVD players. HD-DVD Players alot a hell of a lot cheaper as well. And you have to understand not everyone is going to pay even $600 to get a damn disc player at first...the majority of the people buying the PS3 at first are going to be gamers of course. The PS3 graphic wise isn't all that better than Xbox 360. Games at launch are going to be about the same. Sony just has some rights to certain games that I might want to play but that is about it. The only two games I see right now for PS3 that are going to sell good are Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo.

Another thing I like about HD-DVD Players is that all of them are networked interfaced and can download and stream content from the web once you have a DVD in the player that has content online anyway...HD-DVD has so many more features over Blu-Ray. So much cheaper as well...

Sony is banking too much on Blu-Ray and I have a strong feeling they are going to bomb in the end...If I am wrong then I am wrong. This is purely just my opinions and don't bash me for saying it. I am just speaking my opinion and thoughts on it.

So what do you guys think?

flclisgreat
08-16-2006, 06:49 AM
The only two games I see right now for PS3 that are going to sell good are Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo.

honestly, thats all i realy want too. me personly will not pick it up on release. there's bound to be bugs in it. i'll wait till the prices drop and the games i want are actualy released.

ugp
08-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Well look at why it has been pushed back as it is...All because of Blu-Ray...

And whos to say the games will actually use Blu-Ray...some will still probably be DL-DVDs...I remember when PS2 launched...some games were still on CDs appose to DVDs.

People that buy them on release always deal with all the problems.

leo5111
08-16-2006, 11:00 AM
if it has been posted i didnt see it the hd dvd add on has been announced 199.99 http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEVVVZkyVVAMBCmFSl.php

flclisgreat
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
hehe. that makes the 360 cost as much as the ps3. yes you don't have to buy the adon but its still funny how (almost) everybody is b!tchen about how much the ps3 cost and the equivilent 360 cost just as much/more than a ps3. plus it will be slower than it should be couse it has to go through usb.

leo5111
08-16-2006, 01:27 PM
uh usb 2.2 has more then enough bandwidth 480mb a sec and also i think add on is far smarter for 2 reasons alot of people dont want to pay for somthin they dont want and if hd dvd loses the war they simply stop makin em where as sony is stuck with cost and people who want ps3 dont have choice they pay higher price for ps3 because of blue-ray add on

ugp
08-16-2006, 01:44 PM
That is exactly why Xbox made it an add-on...they can win either way...

Not everyone will want HD-DVD or cares about it so that appeals more so to others...

If you want it...you can always get it down the road and not have to pay all that money up front...you can use it towards games...the main reason why you buy it to begin with.

leo5111
08-16-2006, 02:27 PM
not to mention 90% of people who would want a HD-DVD OR BLUE-RAY would want a real unit not a videogame system that can play it most people remember that the dvd players in xbox or ps2 licked monkey nuts :p:

Soulburner
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
My PS2 plays DVD's just fine and has for years, not sure where that comment comes from.

As far as Sony goes, in an interview in my Gameinformer they asked him "What if Blu-Ray fails"?

He answered, "How is that possible"?

[XC] leviathan18
08-16-2006, 02:56 PM
My PS2 plays DVD's just fine and has for years, not sure where that comment comes from.

As far as Sony goes, in an interview in my Gameinformer they asked him "What if Blu-Ray fails"?

He answered, "How is that possible"?

because you are lucky if you google dvd fail ps2 you will find thousand of sites regarding this issue....

Soulburner
08-16-2006, 03:02 PM
It was my understanding the early ones had those problems. My friend's PS2 eventually died while playing a DVD after a long while of getting worse and worse at reading game discs. It would no longer read just about anything. I haven't heard much of that from the later builds (mine was a rev 7 from 2003).

[XC] leviathan18
08-16-2006, 03:23 PM
well they had bunch of isses with the ps2 and breakdowns etc...

i just tell you what i read i dont own any console at the moment but im waiting like kid for the wii....

imagine the ps3 havin issues with the BR that would be lot of money lost

ugp
08-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Atleast with the Xbox 360 is the HD-DVD side dies...it is replaceable...don't have to replace the whole thing...just the HD-DVD Player...and your not out an Xbox 360 either...I kinda like the idea.

Xbox 360 has so many extra features....I am curious to see how PS3 does there online thing...it is said to be free...but what does "free" include...I bet it is alot like the Xbox Silver Marketplace. And they probably will continue to have you pay seperate for games like Final Fantasy...

I mean with Xbox 360 it is very easy to just steal a damn Xbox Live Code from Wal-Mart. I know it works for me...I have yet to pay for playing online with Xbox.

Soulburner
08-17-2006, 01:41 AM
The Sony Online function will be free, and that will let you play "all" games with no charge. They are leaving it up to the developers to decide how they want to handle microtransactions and premium memberships and such though.

Gag3
08-17-2006, 03:28 AM
According to that guy at IBM it should be 10% yield with all 8 SPE's operational and 40% with just 7. They chose to use "only" 7 a long time go.

Blu-ray is not going to kill the PS3. The other hardware is going to take care of that. I'm pretty sure it's going to be like this:

1.) Xbox 360 will have a more powerful GPU.
2.) Cell when fully taken to potencial is somewhat faster than the CPU in the 360.
3.) Games on the PS3 will be buggier because of the fact the programming is harder to do.
4.) Microsoft will win this round.

1) The RSX Is being upgraded to compensate for time.
2) The Cell will absolutely DEMOLISH the 360's triple core even at half usage.
3) Good Manufacturer's have more pride than to release buggy games.. hell.. there are PLEANTY of companys already completing games for the PS3.
4) In your Opinion.

IMO..

I think the 360, although a good console.. has been rushed.. and rushed WAY to early.

The PS3 is more futureproof, powerful, and with a fact.. has alot more follower's.

I think Sony can put up a stiff fight against the 360.. but that isn't what they're worried about.

The Wii's priceing and Nintendo's ingenious way's of marketing and game's.. could be a big fend of for both the Consoles... ok so I dont think its going to be THE best console.. but I can garentee it will give the 360 a VERY hard time.

But as always.. we shall see how it pan's out.

I for one shall be purchasing a 360 in the next month or two.. just for the sheer fact of Halo 3.. which will bit a MASSIVE bonus to M$.

ugp
08-17-2006, 04:13 AM
Yeah see with Xbox they have so many followers on that part of it. The price tag on PS3 is what would make me not want to buy one. I couldn't afford one if I wanted one. And I am sure I am not the only one.

But I an assure you all the rich spoiled kids will get one for Christmas because mommy and daddy spoil them. That is who mainly will have one at launch I bet.

I work in Retail and last year when 360 came out so many parents wanted them and half didn't even know what they were buying...there kids just wanted it...

So that tells you most of the people that buy these consoles when they come out do not know what they are even buying..."The buyers" of course not the users...

[XC] leviathan18
08-17-2006, 04:22 AM
wii is going to win this one :p:

sabrewolf732
08-17-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm getting a wii myself, If I want power I'll stick to my soon to be conroe and my 1900. And, it is arguable that the ps3's processor is more powerful. Personally I think cell is a bunch of hogwash, there was a nice article on anandtech that explained it well.

phelan1777
08-17-2006, 12:47 PM
No what killed PS3 was no Smackdown 2007 for its launch.

I hate wrestling games but they sell like hotcakes

Don't they, like the Madden and other sports game lose like 90% trade in value from the door as well?

ugp
08-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Well there is talk that there will be no trade-ins on PS3 games...

leo5111
08-17-2006, 08:10 PM
GAG3 dont make me laugh devolpers have already stated the ps3 is in theory more powerfull but in real world as in what you can actualy get out of it they said they are about even but results will be harder to achieve on ps3 also this was with the cell runnin at 3.2 and there was talk that yield problems would force them to downclock it to 2.8.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

panda_boy
08-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Its all about the games to me. Ive had an xbox 360 since they where first out and most of there games are just pure :banana::banana::banana::banana: except oblivion IMO. I have always loved the ps2 and the games that came out for that bet the original xboxs games hands down. i have seen such a load of crap coming out for the xbox 360 in the last three months ive stopped playing mine.

ugp
08-18-2006, 04:35 AM
Well then the wait for good Xbox 360 games is almost up...

We have...

Huxley
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Project 8

I am looking forward to Gears of War and Huxley...I can't wait for those.

dominos789
08-19-2006, 12:21 AM
I don't think that the PS3 costs that much... $500 is reasonable.

ugp
08-19-2006, 07:18 AM
$500 doesn't get you the HDMI port...and that is a major difference in picture quality for high end TVs with 1080p.

flclisgreat
08-19-2006, 07:23 AM
I don't think that the PS3 costs that much... $500 is reasonable.

finnaly a sane person. we(as most of the ppl who join a forum like this) go out and spend thousands on pc parts, and then complain how much a ps3 costs.
and if i where you(or anyone else thinking if buying a ps3)i would buy the $600 version. Sony castrated the $500 version in hopes to sell more of the $600 version. for shlt sake it doesn't even have high def. output.

perry_78
08-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Ah, the price for the PS3 is now somewhat set in Denmark.

931 usd for the 60gb version
724 usd for the 20gb version

Now I would prefer the PS3 merely to be able to play the old ps2 games. But this price is nothing short of ridiculous. The premium x360 is for ~430 usd. Nice price difference.

Nevertheless people will still buy the PS3 only because its a PS3. Technology is not important in consoles, games are.