PDA

View Full Version : Safe to use polish on copper?

MikalCarbine
07-03-2006, 03:42 PM
After dismantling my loop to clean it, my Storm is tarnished and looks horrible. I was wondering if using polish (in this case Nevr-Dull (http://www.nevrdull.com/)) to clean the block? I tried using it on part of the block that doesn't play any important roll and it worked great, but I don't want to do anything that might hurt its performance so I am posting here

Thanks a bunch :)

Edit: I just read up not to polish the base where the copper meets the CPU, that being said, would I be correct in saying that polishing all the other parts not do any harm?

mad mikee
07-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Take some ketchup on your finger and spread it around.
Let sit 2-5 mins, repeat until shiny.
Rinse.
Done! :bounces:

After dismantling my loop to clean it, my Storm is tarnished and looks horrible. I was wondering if using polish (in this case Nevr-Dull (http://www.nevrdull.com/)) to clean the block? I tried using it on part of the block that doesn't play any important roll and it worked great, but I don't want to do anything that might hurt its performance so I am posting here

Thanks a bunch :)

Edit: I just read up not to polish the base where the copper meets the CPU, that being said, would I be correct in saying that polishing all the other parts not do any harm?

MikalCarbine
07-03-2006, 04:26 PM
But not on the base right?

Stigma
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Nearly all normal metal polishes leave a thin wax layer when you apply it. The reason is that the metal would oxidize and dull very quickly if the surface was not protected from the air. (especialyl for copper... it would be a matter of hours or days).

And, because wax is an extremely poor thermal conductor, you definately do NOT want to polish any part of the copper that is supposed to transfer heat. Polish the outside as much as you want to make it look shiny, but don't polish the inside or the base, or you will be sorry.

If you want to clean your copper block you will want to submerge it in either vinegar or regular household ketchup. Both are slighly corrosive and will remove any tarnish and residue buildup, leaving a nice clean copper surface.

Note that after cleaning like this, the copper will quickly look tarnished again when exposed to air, especialyl if its a little damp or wet. it has however been confirmed that this tarnish does NOT negatively affect the heat transfer proerties of the metal, so simply ignore it.

In short: polishing a copper block to improve its performance is a no-no. it will have the oposite effect.

Note: you can allways remove the wax from a polished surface rather easily using a strong solvent like white-spirit (just clean it up afterwards with a clean solvent, or it will leave an oily film. methanol or whatever works fine. Isopropanol or similar is the cleanest, and thus the best, but methanol you can buy at your local gas station will do ok).

-Stigma

mad mikee
07-04-2006, 07:37 AM
No, Mustard on the base :D

Seriously shouldn't hurt it, just rinse real well and dry afterwards.

The description above this is is why any 'polish' is bad.

The low acidity here is what makes it okay, since any metal you are removing is TRIVIAL (take about a gazillion cleanings to worry :hehe: )

But not on the base right?

MikalCarbine
07-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Nearly all normal metal polishes leave a thin wax layer when you apply it. The reason is that the metal would oxidize and dull very quickly if the surface was not protected from the air. (especialyl for copper... it would be a matter of hours or days).

And, because wax is an extremely poor thermal conductor, you definately do NOT want to polish any part of the copper that is supposed to transfer heat. Polish the outside as much as you want to make it look shiny, but don't polish the inside or the base, or you will be sorry.

If you want to clean your copper block you will want to submerge it in either vinegar or regular household ketchup. Both are slighly corrosive and will remove any tarnish and residue buildup, leaving a nice clean copper surface.

Note that after cleaning like this, the copper will quickly look tarnished again when exposed to air, especialyl if its a little damp or wet. it has however been confirmed that this tarnish does NOT negatively affect the heat transfer proerties of the metal, so simply ignore it.

In short: polishing a copper block to improve its performance is a no-no. it will have the oposite effect.

Note: you can allways remove the wax from a polished surface rather easily using a strong solvent like white-spirit (just clean it up afterwards with a clean solvent, or it will leave an oily film. methanol or whatever works fine. Isopropanol or similar is the cleanest, and thus the best, but methanol you can buy at your local gas station will do ok).

-Stigma

Thanks a lot for that information, I just won't polish the block now since it won't hinder performance. Soaking it in vinegar didn't strip any varnish away last time I did it so I looked toward polish, big no no :P

XS Janus
07-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Just use AJAX for bathrooms it works wonders on brass too :D
________
Nexium Attorneys (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

MikalCarbine
07-04-2006, 11:15 AM
What about Scrubbing Bubbles? It notes to stay away from brass on the bottle though, but this is copper

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-04-2006, 04:13 PM
you dont want to use anything abbrassive on your base. and the person who mentioned wax film was correct, thats why block polishing when cleaning or lapping isnt advised.

also, forget mustard or ketchup, the reason those work is because of vinegar in them basically.

take a plastic container, set your block in it base up so its fully exposed to the vinegar, use generous amounts of vinegar so it doesnt get saturated. and just leave it sit for a few hours, and just agitate it every now and then by rocking the container a bit.

i use this to clean all kinds of copper sinks and water blocks, used it on nb,cpu,gpu blocks, and many different ram sinks. ram sinks are harder since they tend to fall onto each other, which removes the coppers direct contact with the vinegar.

Budwise
11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
you dont want to use anything abbrassive on your base. and the person who mentioned wax film was correct, thats why block polishing when cleaning or lapping isnt advised.

also, forget mustard or ketchup, the reason those work is because of vinegar in them basically.

take a plastic container, set your block in it base up so its fully exposed to the vinegar, use generous amounts of vinegar so it doesnt get saturated. and just leave it sit for a few hours, and just agitate it every now and then by rocking the container a bit.

i use this to clean all kinds of copper sinks and water blocks, used it on nb,cpu,gpu blocks, and many different ram sinks. ram sinks are harder since they tend to fall onto each other, which removes the coppers direct contact with the vinegar.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but is it ok to clean delrin this way also? Im pretty sure my Storm block is in need of some heavy duty cleaning, so should i just disassemble the block, set the Orings aside, and let all the pieces soak in vinegar for a few hours and then use a needle to clear out the jets?

What about pumps? Whats the best way to clean them out? My MCP655 had some white buildup in it last time i looked...

Is it ok to soak my Swiftech Micro res in vinegar as well?

Herr Brun
11-03-2006, 11:33 AM
First of all: Read the stickies please!

Once the bowl has been prepared, place ONLY the copper base of the waterblock in the bowl, making sure it is fully submerged and that only a small portion of it (non wetted surface) is touching the bowl.
I guess vinegar isn't really good for plastics.

Budwise
11-03-2006, 12:22 PM
i aint a noob around here, ive read the stickies. They do not however mention cleaning plastics such as the mid and top plate on the storm or a pump.

Herr Brun
11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
i aint a noob around here, ive read the stickies. They do not however mention cleaning plastics such as the mid and top plate on the storm or a pump.
Did you read my quote at all? It is from one of the guides, and says to clean ONLY the copper in vinegar. I guess that means that you shouldn't clean plastic stuff.

Budwise
11-03-2006, 01:45 PM
wow, come on man... No kidding! I know how to clean the copper parts, but WHAT ABOUT THE PLASTICS? Just cuz you cant clean em the same way you clean the copper doesnt mean that you can't clean em period...

I am asking if anyone has any recommendations as to how to go about cleaning plastics such as the Storm upper plates and pumps such as my MCP655...

Herr Brun
11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
You asked two times if vinegar was OK for cleaning plastics. I answered.

Fr3ak
11-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I always used metal polish and ethanol to clean it.
Has always worked fine for me. No corrosion at all.

How do the watercooler manufacturers make a mirror finish polish then? I somehow have the feeling they are not using ketchup :)

JoeBar
11-03-2006, 02:47 PM

You asked two times if vinegar was OK for cleaning plastics. I answered.
How to *thoroughly* clean a Storm... (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110812&highlight=clean+storm)

Search is your friend... ;)

septim
11-03-2006, 03:57 PM
pls don't argue over such small thing as cleaning plastics. there is always the toothbrush you know...