PDA

View Full Version : Free-DC has been trown of it's No1 position!!

Martijn
07-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Read the title and smile again :D

http://www.dc-vault.com/showscores.php

nn_step
07-03-2006, 03:01 AM
Holy :banana::banana::banana::banana: :eek:

[XC] riptide
07-03-2006, 03:03 AM
WOW! Now thats crazy.

Martijn
07-03-2006, 03:03 AM
Holy :banana::banana::banana::banana: :eek:
That was exactly what I thought when I saw it... :eek:

[XC]melymel
07-03-2006, 03:06 AM
It wont last wait until Free-DC update their tanpaku ;)

em99010pepe
07-03-2006, 03:13 AM
DC-Vault ranking is not important to Free-DC.

Carlos

Martijn
07-03-2006, 03:14 AM

Carlos
But that doesn't say we're interested in it, hey?! :D

Martijn
07-03-2006, 03:15 AM

Carlos
But that doesn't say we're interested in it, hey?!

Are you sounding a little scared? :D

em99010pepe
07-03-2006, 03:17 AM
But that doesn't say we're interested in it, hey?!

Are you sounding a little scared? :D

No, not at all. Please read this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105454).

Carlos

Movieman
07-03-2006, 03:36 AM
This may not make sense, but I'm sorry to see FDC lose their #1 position.
When all the shouting dies down, they are the example to the rest of the teams on how to run a class operation. They work together in a friendly atmosphere. I hope they take #1 back and hold it..
Until we are ready to take it from them.;)

Martijn
07-03-2006, 03:38 AM
I think they will indeed take it back as they have 1 unattached project waiting to be attached... :)

Jose
07-03-2006, 03:40 AM
The Biology Area has become a Free for all among the Top 10 Teams. It is like Roller Derby Revisited. Wouza to think the Vault was such a staid, stable and boring place.... LOL LOL LOL No More.

[XC]melymel
07-03-2006, 03:44 AM
BTW our Tanpaku hasn't been added yet so we should get a nice jump soon too.

LP_
07-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Most of the Free DC'ers are good people. ;)
I'm not fond of seeing them lose first place, but I suspect that TANPAKU had something to do with that, and that as teams are added to the Vault, that will change things around somewhat.

EmPepe, if FDC doesn't care about Vault standing, why did enter team projects into the Vault at all?

From reading some posts at FDC from when the Vault was created, I don't think Vault is a "big deal" to them, but was curious. Why enter teams into it then?

lv_dicedealer
07-03-2006, 08:35 AM
While FDC may say that DCV is not important to them, I am sure they took much pride in being number one... they will regain it again

em99010pepe
07-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Most of the Free DC'ers are good people. ;)

I know, I am the bad guy! You know, friends aren't always there with you but enemies are...

EmPepe, if FDC doesn't care about Vault standing, why did enter team projects into the Vault at all?

From reading some posts at FDC from when the Vault was created, I don't think Vault is a "big deal" to them, but was curious. Why enter teams into it then?

Why, because anyone can update the DC-Vault, you can do that..

Carlos

Jose
07-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Carlos you are not a bad guy :) . For the record , we compete against Free Dc but as a team and as a Community, Free DC has our biggest respect. They have shown and have helped to set the standard on how to run a DC Community. So we may joke around a little and will raid PY's fridge but we do it in friendship.

Bok
07-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Read the title and smile again :D

http://www.dc-vault.com/showscores.php

And just why should this cause smiles exactly..... ???

Very strange when your post even has a signature hosted by Free-DC.

For the record, I'm sure we could get #1 back if some of us took the time to run some of the crappy, meaningless projects out there, but we don't..

The DC-Vault in my opinion is lowering the standards of the DC 'scene' and is probably the #1 reason I'm considering getting out.

Bok

L0$t Pr0PhEt
07-03-2006, 10:24 AM

For the record, I'm sure we could get #1 back if some of us took the time to run some of the crappy, meaningless projects out there, but we don't..

The DC-Vault in my opinion is lowering the standards of the DC 'scene' and is probably the #1 reason I'm considering getting out.

Bok

Yeah, you are right.

Because of that site a lot of teams (even ours :( ) just joins a project and run them for a day just to get a higher ranking. It's not the way how it should be done tbh. This way we are not helping DC projects.

[XC]melymel
07-03-2006, 10:30 AM

Bok

Don't take it personally It was only meant in a competitive way as said we have the utmost respect for Free-DC. Also you will have the first place back as soon as Tanpaku updates.

Also in regards to the vault i think a lot agree it's pretty crap for an accurate ranking because of the scoring system however it's all we got :(. Any ideas of a better ranking system? :shrug:

P.S. never leave the DC scene I need the stats!!! :toast:

Martijn
07-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Don't take it personally It was only meant in a competitive way as said we have the utmost respect for Free-DC. Also you will have the first place back as soon as Tanpaku updates.

Also in regards to the vault i think a lot agree it's pretty crap for an accurate ranking because of the scoring system however it's all we got :(. Any ideas of a better ranking system? :shrug:

P.S. never leave the DC scene I need the stats!!! :toast:
Jep, I think that explains it all very well indeed :). Sorry if my post seemed a little 'insulting', but it wasn't and will never be meant so.

Can't you make a 'Vault', Bok, but then a good one based on points and not on ranking? You have the stats already...

Bok
07-03-2006, 11:02 AM
I could, but I'm not interested as all it achieves is to make people run these crappy little projects more.

Movieman
07-03-2006, 11:04 AM
My 2 cents: Let's do our best to keep this nice towards Free Dc..
Let's face it, they do it right and are a team to emulate. If they "slip" for a day, I understand the excitement. I was surprised myself.
All I'm trying to say is that in the end, the friendships that we form with people are more important than any vault standing. That will come in it's own good time.

Martijn
07-03-2006, 11:10 AM
My 2 cents: Let's do our best to keep this nice towards Free Dc..
Let's face it, they do it right and are a team to emulate. If they "slip" for a day, I understand the excitement. I was surprised myself.
All I'm trying to say is that in the end, the friendships that we form with people are more important than any vault standing. That will come in it's own good time.
:toast:

Rinsewand
07-03-2006, 11:38 AM
well said movieman!

People would do well from time to time to remember what the main aim of this is all about. Whilst i love the idea of getting higher up the vault, i only take part in projects that interest me (or in the case of DIMES, that i can do well in!) hopefully there ends up a wide enough range of people to advance in the vault, as well as participating in projects each individual feels is a worthy cause.

RwD

LP_
07-03-2006, 12:49 PM
here they go.. getting all mushy again.. lol.. :D

STEvil
07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
I could, but I'm not interested as all it achieves is to make people run these crappy little projects more.

who said the crappy projects had to count in your vault? :D

Jose
07-03-2006, 03:05 PM
TANPAKU scores were entered .... Free DC is back at number 1.

Haltech
07-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Nothing to see here, move along guys... btw.. this thread = the suck!

[XC] riptide
07-03-2006, 04:09 PM
What excitement!! I'd rather see Free-DC on top instead of AMD Users or some of the other muppet show teams out there.

ex2cib
07-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Bok

i agree kind with on the "crappy, meaningless projects" part

ill throw one out, and this is just my opinion

SETI is a waste of time to me
scans radio waves for other life in universe.

what are we going to do >>>>>IF<<<<< we happen to find something
we obviously can't go and visit "them", so "they" would have to visit us.

thats a complete waste of CPU resources, as 100% have probably been just plain radio waves.... when the CPU resources couldve been used for projects that were a whole lot more helpful to us today, like rosetta:D ;) ( or d2ol, f@H, etc etc)

my 2cents

LP_
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
You know, one man's trash may be another's treasure.

What say you just run what you like, and not come to the Vault and trash other projects that are being run to advance our team in Vault standings, ok?

;)

Haltech
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
People who crunch Seti are the same morons who dress up like StarWars characters, while in line waiting for the next movie to play.:rolleyes:

LP_
07-03-2006, 05:08 PM
People who crunch Seti are the same morons who dress up like StarWars characters, while in line waiting for the next movie to play.:rolleyes:

Thanks.. :rolleyes:
I am now crunching nothing but Seti. :p:

and I think it's Star Trek, not Star Wars.. :slap:

STEvil
07-03-2006, 08:44 PM

I seem to have misplaced my wookie suit.

[XC] riptide
07-04-2006, 01:10 AM
and I think it's Star Trek, not Star Wars.. :slap:Emmm I've seen them dress up like those startroopers at premiers and stuff. Hey i love Starwars anyway..... "Haltech..... ... .. I am your father..... ... you must come to the dark side..... " waaaaa! :rofl:

EDIT: Seti was interesting to me when I was secretary of the space & astronmy club in college. But not as a DC project. We were gonna get a PC and a dish and scan the sky looking for radiowaves. Obviously with no hope of finding anything, but i wanted to see what frequencies i could pick up. Maybe scan a few satellites too! Also bounce signal off the moon etc in binary... things like that. But alas it never happend.

Jose
07-04-2006, 07:01 AM
BTW; Should anyone come to Puerto Rico you should try and visit ET's Phone (The Ionospheric Radio telescope at Arecibo) . The sight of the whole dish imbedded in a sinkhole is impressive.

That said: All I like from SETI@Home is the huge vault numbers it can give and the fact that if we are going to overtake Overclockers.com, we are going to have to fight them where they are strong : The Physical Sciences Projects. In all the other categories we are over them. So even though I don't like Seti as a project ( I find it hard to agree there is intelligent life in this earth to start finding it in another) I will run some Wu's for the team.

As to the complaints about "icky"projects in the vault. Sorry I don't buy the complaints of our friends at Free DC, They have entered the DC Competitions with a gusto that is evidenced in their message boards. I find it a tad hard to swallow thyeir complaints about quality projects now that they are being challenged. (Man they even have a BURP team.)

My 2 cents.

PS That Said : I rather see them on top given the alternatives. The only time I will rejoice when they go down is when we topple them.

Smurfy
07-04-2006, 07:26 AM
I think Bok brings up a very real and valid point, the way i read it, hes not saying that people cant run whatever project they want, but the key point is they need to want to crunch it one would hope for a valid reason.

Scoring systems like DC Vault incourage people to crunch projects they wouldn't touch if they didnt gain us points in DC Vault.

Myself the only way i can justify running my machines all day is to have them do something i consider worthwhile, this for me means a medical/climate change project.

At the end of the day, im not saying we shouldnt take part in DC vault or even that we shouldn't go out and actively try and improve our rank, this has to be a choice for individual members and what they belive in, but its worth taking a moment to think about.

Jose
07-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Smurfy: What isa valid reason? That is very subjective.

lv_dicedealer
07-04-2006, 08:21 AM
The benefit FDC has over XS is that they all have one common interest, DC projects. Their membership has very wide-ranging interests, but they all focus on DC projects. With their large membership there will always be someone interested in some project on the vault.

sc00p
07-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Very outspoken man Bok he is, respect :) ... and I had to agree with him at great degree.

Smurfy
07-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Very true Jose, it is subjective, i guess what i really meant say was that they considered it a valid reason or good cause, not just to up our ranking. You could argue as some here would, that uping the teams ranking is a valid reason, if thats what those people belive, they have every right to continue, but i think its worth asking the question, is really a good enough cause to use the energy?

Im unsure how it will go down here, but personally im fairly aware that the power i use to crunch is adding to global warming.

When i first joined the D2OL team here i did actually start a thread asking how people could justify crunching and there thoughts on global warming not to criticize just for my own interest, some people gave answers i fully disagree with and honestly found shocking, some however are like me, just found the will to crunch too strong and accepted it.

I do want to make it clear I’m not criticizing, as for me to do so would be hypocritical, my machines are far from efficient and are huge power hogs. However, as i said above i think individuals should ask the question to themselves of weather a cause is worthy. The answer is up to them and i wont criticize there answer even if I disagree with

[XC]thewildblue
07-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Remember some ppl still do it just for the points and the stats.

InSanCen
07-06-2006, 02:34 AM
I crunch for XS.. .unless I have a personal dislike for a project (F@H), then I will try to crunch it, if XS deems it needs Crunching. If the Stat's went tomorrow, no real biggie for me, I'd carry on as normal.

But I would also like Bok to stay... He does a hell of a job in inspiring me, almost as much as DDTUNG did.

jimwah
07-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Bok

That's a shame man, you obviously have some AMD power behind you with your stats on QMC, and your work on teh stats is appreciated. DC'ing is a strange pastime, and can become quite stressful even maintaining a few machines when you work /college full time; I wish I had a few more boxes to put on & then I could challenge you for the prestigious title of top UK QMC'er (well RAC, at least) :cheer: and make it a bit more interesting for us both.

Regarding the Vault, I had this debate with a chum about a month or so ago; whether spreading the team thin to get the maximum DCV standing was really worth any more than putting all our effort into one single (tough) project; would it earn us more respect? is it respect from other teams we seek? Or are we aiming for DCV #1 for our own reasons? IDK, I have more questions than answers, as usual.
:am:
I think a sense of teamwork & achievement for all the XS folders/crunchers is the pinnacle, a utopian vision perhaps - but this is what would earn the real respect & envy of other teams. jmo

Mr_Slinky
07-06-2006, 04:40 PM
yes there are some projects out there that we all look at and think wth who really cares but as long as there are people doing the units the project is valid
but its a free country and people can think and say what they like
but also what are we doing with the teams and as someone has already stated who are we trying to gain the respect from? meaning would we rather concentrate on one project and take the #1 spot and then move to another. all that does is splinters the team does it not? look at what happened with d2ol there is a small contingent back there.. what will happen when ddtung moves from R@H to another most of the team will follow.

vaio
07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
I think Free DC are great.........and they set standards for others to follow.
It all adds an element of competition to things and if things like the vault get more folk onboard the DC projects all the better.

Agreed that some of the projects may seem less worthy than others but at least things like the vault raise awareness of the DC options out there.

The vault scoring system could use some tweaking (even though it would probably hurt my teams stats), but the way it is at the moment doesn't fully reflect the work and commitment teams put into projects.

Hit a project for a while and bam, you up your vault ranking.......then off to the next new project.

More consideration for overall team project score etc would be a fairer reflection.

Just my tuppence worth. :)