PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Source Of Cold Bug???

hey
07-02-2006, 11:10 PM
any one have an idea what cause cold bug? maybe some will say it s because of memory controller but intel also has cold bug at certain temperatures. why some processors have it at -20c and some at -100c??if any one knows let him/her tell me or lets discuss it in this thread

sofarfrome
07-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Perhaps at certain LOW temps the silicon experiences a phase change of sorts changing the way electrons pass thru the circuits. Just a wild guess.

[_Silence_]
07-03-2006, 03:33 AM
No one knows the real cause of the cold bug, we can only speculate. But the memory controler has high probability of being the cause....

2fink
07-03-2006, 03:33 AM
intel shutdown at -128°C: thermal-diodes can normally read temps from -128° - 128°C, so under -128°C its reading maybe a wrong value and the thermal protection kicks in!

(this theorie was postet in another thread)

[XC]melymel
07-03-2006, 03:35 AM
the IMC on AMD give it such a bad cold bug. I personally don't know for sure but I do know that with Intel it's often a cold boot problem rather than a cold bug meaning it won't start at -100C but it will run at -100C if it's slowly brought to that temperature while running, however people often confuse them. :toast:

DaWaN
07-03-2006, 03:51 AM
The coldbug limits the HTT mhz. So most likely it's the intergrated clockgenerator or the memory controller.

afireinside
07-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Common belief is that the PLL and or IMC bugs since every bugged chip has HTT problems and some have memory clock issues.

Plywood99
07-03-2006, 04:01 PM
This actually goes back to 1874 when the lawyer firm of DoeScrewmAnhow were investigating the cataclysmic destruction of the isotope ColdeusBuggius, which was discovered by Methuseluh way back when. Apparently this destruction released ColdiusBuggius into the atmosphere, where it has been swirly docile for the century plus. However, with the release of the Integrated Memory Controller on A64 cpu's ColdiusBuggius has found a suitable "host" so to speek.

DoeScrewmAnhow is currently suing the originator of the "cataclysmic destruction", with the plaintif being AMD. With the resolve of this lawsuit will come the extinction of Coldius Buggius, along with appearance of RVT and the destruction of the dreaded Sconroe virus. Sconroe virus is particularly a nuisance, since it weekens A64 performance...

einCe
07-03-2006, 09:03 PM
This actually goes back to 1874 when the lawyer firm of DoeScrewmAnhow were investigating the cataclysmic destruction of the isotope ColdeusBuggius, which was discovered by Methuseluh way back when. Apparently this destruction released ColdiusBuggius into the atmosphere, where it has been swirly docile for the century plus. However, with the release of the Integrated Memory Controller on A64 cpu's ColdiusBuggius has found a suitable "host" so to speek.

DoeScrewmAnhow is currently suing the originator of the "cataclysmic destruction", with the plaintif being AMD. With the resolve of this lawsuit will come the extinction of Coldius Buggius, along with appearance of RVT and the destruction of the dreaded Sconroe virus. Sconroe virus is particularly a nuisance, since it weekens A64 performance...
uhm...lol WHAT?

hey
07-03-2006, 10:07 PM
uhm...lol WHAT?

+1

i'm gonna read it again later..:D

in my believe any part of integrated circuit cant cause coldbug ,the only non-silicon and mechanical part is clockgenerator,right? and this let me think that differences of clockgengenerators between intel and amd may be cause that..any more thoughts??

hey
07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
also maybe amd has clockgenerator inside while intel does not,,i mean inside or outside of the chip,,cooling this mechanical clockgenerator may cause coldbug??

kiwi
07-04-2006, 04:39 AM
IMC and/or HTT

Intel usually has no coldbug till -125C or so
Then it might be the board itself or something with sensors. This can be solved by doing tcore mod to report higher temps than they actually are