PDA

View Full Version : Where would you prefer a radiator? Top or floor mount

nealh
07-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I am seriously considering a new case...but this would require a dual or triple radiator...

so is it better to have top mounted radiator pulling air in or floor mounted rad sucking or blowing air in????

yngndrw
07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I just cut a top mount in my new case today ... I don't like the idea of floor mounts becuase all it will do is suck in dust.

Viktor
07-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm going to remount my rad in top of my stacker case, I know that the best thing is if the fans suck in air through the top, but with that much air comes alot of dust. And since warm air rises maybe it wouldn't make such a big difference if the fans blew out of the case instead ?

dietwaterrr
07-01-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm going to remount my rad in top of my stacker case, I know that the best thing is if the fans suck in air through the top, but with that much air comes alot of dust. And since warm air rises maybe it wouldn't make such a big difference if the fans blew out of the case instead ?

Nah, keep the fans on pull. Its on the top of the case.. its not gonna suck that much dust compared to one on the bottom of the case. Since warm air does rise you will probably get a .000000000002135546 temperature difference.

clokker
07-01-2006, 01:31 PM
I've been pulling air in through my floor mounted rad (Thermochill PA 120.3 in a STC-101) for nearly a year with no excessive dust buildup.
I much prefer to floormount my rads....easier to bleed/drain.

dietwaterrr
07-01-2006, 01:48 PM
I've been pulling air in through my floor mounted rad (Thermochill PA 120.3 in a STC-101) for nearly a year with no excessive dust buildup.
I much prefer to floormount my rads....easier to bleed/drain.

maybe your house is super clean :D I wish my house was like that. Dog + dust = bad.

NickS
07-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Maybe blow through the rad onto the floor? :)

Nick

Aerou
07-01-2006, 02:59 PM
just if you couldnt decide to go top or floor, Ive got my 240 rad sucking air in from the front of my Stacker ;)

Smalltimer
07-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Just put an air filter on it, problem solved.

I added a custom modded one on my PA120.3 and mounted it using a velcro gasket I made from velcro tape I got at Walmart. Works like a charm and all I need to do is pass my vaccum along the filter to clean it like new again.

nealh
07-01-2006, 03:14 PM

I added a custom modded one on my PA120.3 and mounted it using a velcro gasket I made from velcro tape I got at Walmart. Works like a charm and all I need to do is pass my vaccum along the filter to clean it like new again.

any pics?

Aerou
07-02-2006, 01:36 AM

I tryed something like that once, but its good only if silence doesnt concern you ... So nothing for me.

nealh
07-02-2006, 05:09 AM
well I like the ability to pull the entire loop out of my case in one piece..so I want to stay inside the case

Looks like there is no big advantage to top or floor mount...

Kallenator
07-02-2006, 05:42 AM
I have mounted the rad in front of my stacker.

http://www.kirkedam.mine.nu/kwk/Data/Vannkj%c3%b8ling/PICT1166.jpeg
(old picture)

nealh
07-02-2006, 05:46 AM
I have mounted the rad in front of my stacker.

http://www.kirkedam.mine.nu/kwk/Data/Vannkj%c3%b8ling/PICT1166.jpeg
(old picture)

If I go with a Stacker..that is a good choise as well..just cant decide how much to spend or when wife is still tender on my WCing costs

Kallenator
07-02-2006, 06:08 AM
Get yourself some hardware but also buy something to your wife ;)

nealh
07-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Hmm..my wife has no issues on that at all..problem is in her mind(probably the truth)..I spend way too much time and money on a computer...

Serra
07-02-2006, 08:59 AM
As far as dust goes, you're going to have just about as much dust coming in anyway though aren't you? I mean, assuming you're moving just as much air one way or another, you'll be getting just as much dust inside your case... the only difference will be that it might settle on other components more instead of in your radiator. Either way you should be following a regular cleaning regimen.

From there, although it doesn't happen often, I have heard a few horror stories about top-mounted radiators leaking. I'm not saying that should scare you away from top-mounting it, just as a reminder that you may want to be a little more careful about making sure you've tightened your lines if you do.

yngndrw
07-02-2006, 09:30 AM
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7565/pict02839hi.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7565/pict02839hi.jpg)

My new top mount. Why hide such a beautiful radiator by doing a bottom mount when you can show it on the top ? ;)

Scarlet Infidel
07-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Why hide such a beautiful radiator by doing a bottom mount when you can show it on the top ? ;)

Because itll seem noisier. Though the top mount on stilts is a fairly good way to have it thermally speaking (assuming your case isnt hundreds of degrees).

Edit: I misunderstood the picture, ignore this post.