PDA

View Full Version : 1TB or 320GB 10,000rpm

musshy mushkin
06-30-2006, 01:40 PM
hello,

I have the option of getting either

320GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 160GB SATA 3Gb/s 10,000 RPM HDDs) [Included in Price

or

1TB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs) [add $20]

for 20 bucks extra i get that^

Which one do i choose, this system is for gaming but i hear bigger is faster so whcih one?

Thanks
Dan

sealion
06-30-2006, 01:55 PM
"bigger is faster"? You've been misinformed my friend. Faster RPMS will give you better performance. In your case the 2x160gb 10,000 rpms would be the better choice if you were to game. The 2x500gb is for massive storage. Since the system is for gaming; the 10,000 rpm drives would be the choice of the two. I myself would just get a single 150gb raptor for gaming and a single 500gb hd for whatever else you do. Good luck.

Vric
06-30-2006, 03:15 PM
160gb SATA 10 000RPM ?

That doesnt exist as far as I know. Raptor are made in 36gb, 74gb and 150gb.

nn_step
06-30-2006, 03:32 PM
at that price why not get some cheap SCSI?

afireinside
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
ARe you buying a dell? :stick:

phelan1777
06-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Dell is selling relabled "160GB" WD 10K rpm drives that only hve a 1yr warranty.
there is a thred abou them at OCforum

Mr. Popo
06-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Stay away from Dell!!! :slapass:
Build your own nice OC machine. :slap:

SturmoV
06-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Stay away from Dell!!! :slapass:
Build your own nice OC machine. :slap:

What's wrong with it? It's a rebadged WD Raptor 150GB! Have you even used one to be in the position to tell us to stay away from it? :stick:

phelan1777
06-30-2006, 05:20 PM
What's wrong with it? It's a rebadged WD Raptor 150GB! Have you even used one to be in the position to tell us to stay away from it? :stick:
with a 1 year warranty vs the WD 5 year.

couppi
06-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Dells are from Hell. And yes, bigger is faster in some cases, because there is more density, when means the head doesn't have to travel as far. Most large disks just add platters, though.

WeStSiDePLaYa
06-30-2006, 05:57 PM
i think your missing the possibility to go either 4x250GB WD RE drives, would net best transfer times, but high chance of data loss. or you could go 3x320GB WD RE drives. would net you less speed and 40GB less storage, but less risk to data.

and all would be cheaper than what your pricing.

right now 250GB offer best $/GB ratio, something to keep in mind.

Vric
06-30-2006, 06:21 PM
with a 1 year warranty vs the WD 5 year.
and the very bad Dell support...

musshy mushkin
06-30-2006, 06:54 PM
yes im buying a dell, ive always had great things from them. I realize most of you hate them but owell....

I just wanted to know what would be better and my ? was answered.

Thanks

WeStSiDePLaYa
06-30-2006, 11:36 PM
yes im buying a dell, ive always had great things from them. I realize most of you hate them but owell....

Thanks

you mean your buying WHOLE dell computer?

oh man, that sucks. sorry.

BlackX
07-01-2006, 01:36 AM

Thanks

You could build much better system with that money. Dont buy brand.

taemun
07-01-2006, 03:23 AM
ARe you buying a dell? :stick:

QFT! taemun :stick: Dell (except for monitors :D)

BlackX
07-01-2006, 03:48 AM
QFT! taemun :stick: Dell (except for monitors :D)

Yes Dell is good only for monitors :p:

taemun
07-01-2006, 03:53 AM
Yes Dell is good only for monitors :p:

Although my 2407WFP has banding .... but a new revision will come along eventually I'm sure :D

SturmoV
07-01-2006, 05:49 PM

Correction - it's not even rebadged> http://img121.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dellraptor4eu.jpg

:cool:

Serra
07-01-2006, 06:10 PM

Thanks

When you say "ive always had great things from them", I'll assume that what you mean is "it wasn't broken when it came out of the box and I'm not that picky about performance".

You could yourself build a computer many times faster than a comparably priced Dell or you could build a computer many times less expensive than a comparably priced Dell. Either way, you'll improve your warranty (ie. Dell gives you 1 year. Well, your average processor is 3. Hard drives, about 5... shall I go on?), you won't sound like an utter n00b when you visit computer-related forums (ie. who here takes the pro-Dell posters seriously? Anyone?), and you won't be purchasing a machine almost designed to kill any overclock you might have otherwise had.

I say go custom or go home. It won't be your hard drive configuration that limits your speed when you get a Dell, and that's really all there is to it.

Serra

musshy mushkin
07-01-2006, 10:54 PM
You see heres the my problem with that.

Im not going to overclock anything, Im using this comp for games and thats about it,and possiibly some school work with word and excel. Yes i can build better computers, but this time i dont have the time to do that. Dell's are good comps, the people who use them are typical people who download stupid :banana::banana::banana::banana:, limewire, go on to stupid spamming sites, etc and get there comps so screwed up they suck, and when this happens they blame Dell. They think hey my comp sucks and is slow so it must be the Dell...

YES i agree dell overprices, but hey its a prebuilt... YES i know i can get something BETTER if i build it my self but i just dont want to do that this time. Simple as that.

They have good pricing and if you use them RIGHT, they last a LONG time.

I agree with all that you guys say on these forums and i have used a lot of the knowlege I've learned hear to good use on my current comp, and thanks for it.

In the future i will build a BETTER comp than the dell im getting but this time
I want it quick, plain and simple...

Mr. Popo
07-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Listen to my friendly advise, stay away from Dell!
I have no interest causing you to do the wrong thing! I'm only trying to help.

Xenogias
07-02-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty tired of all the Dell haters. Most of you are flat out wrong. You could not build a comparatively specced computer by picking the parts out yourselves for the same or less price. Dell has such massive distribution networks and deals in such bulk that you could never hope to build a comparable machine from individual pieces from Newegg and their ilk. True, You will have to deal with a fairly generic mobo, ram, powersupply, and case but they work darnit and the whole thing is warrantied from the same place so you don't have to worry about dealing with 15 different companies. You can always replace the parts you dont want later. Here's a COMPLETE machine with a p4 920, LEGIT copy of XP x64, 7950GX2, 2407 24" LCD, 1gb DDR2 667, 250GB SATA2 HDD, 16xDVDR/RW AND EVERYTHING TO MAKE A COMPLETE PC for less than $1500 and they have deals like this all the time. http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7731 Most of your problems are that you never build pcs from the ground up and on a budget. You will NOT be able to beat Dell's deals in this arena.
So stop hating on Dells. It's ridiculous. You people just don't like the cases (and neither do I)

phelan1777
07-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Correction - it's not even rebadged> http://img121.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dellraptor4eu.jpg

:cool:

BUT! Will WD cover the HDD with a 5 year warranty? Or DELL's 1year?

BlackX
07-02-2006, 08:10 AM

If you buy from Dell then you get only 1 year warranty.. Better to pay couple bucks more and get WD.

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-02-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty tired of all the Dell haters. Most of you are flat out wrong. You could not build a comparatively specced computer by picking the parts out yourselves for the same or less price. Dell has such massive distribution networks and deals in such bulk that you could never hope to build a comparable machine from individual pieces from Newegg and their ilk. True, You will have to deal with a fairly generic mobo, ram, powersupply, and case but they work darnit and the whole thing is warrantied from the same place so you don't have to worry about dealing with 15 different companies. You can always replace the parts you dont want later. Here's a COMPLETE machine with a p4 920, LEGIT copy of XP x64, 7950GX2, 2407 24" LCD, 1gb DDR2 667, 250GB SATA2 HDD, 16xDVDR/RW AND EVERYTHING TO MAKE A COMPLETE PC for less than $1500 and they have deals like this all the time. http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7731 Most of your problems are that you never build pcs from the ground up and on a budget. You will NOT be able to beat Dell's deals in this arena.
So stop hating on Dells. It's ridiculous. You people just don't like the cases (and neither do I)

people here are overclockers. can you overclock a dell like you could a nice DFI rig? no. end of story. if you wanna use dells, then goto anandtech forums or something.

BlackX
07-02-2006, 09:32 AM
You people just don't like the cases (and neither do I)

This is the best! :rofl:

Man you are the victim of commercial :slapass:

SturmoV
07-02-2006, 10:44 AM

The drive has 1-year warranty from Dell. I don't care anyhow. In my experience if the drive is ok during the first year, it's gonna be ok afterwards. Besides, I plan on moving to SSD when the prices come down a little.

BlackX
07-02-2006, 01:35 PM
The drive has 1-year warranty from Dell. I don't care anyhow. In my experience if the drive is ok during the first year, it's gonna be ok afterwards. Besides, I plan on moving to SSD when the prices come down a little.

wrong thinking m8 :p: its not about quallity. you never know when you catch a virus or somebody kicks your case and your HDD will be full of bad sectors.

[XC] leviathan18
07-02-2006, 01:45 PM

do yourself a favor go and check the buyers guide XPS killer its cheaper sorry to say it and i love dell lcds i have 2 i have also 2 laptops but they "gaming" rigs are overpriced sorry

phelan1777
07-02-2006, 03:01 PM

if I am going to shell 200$ for a high end HDD, I want the 5 year warranty, and have no arguements with the detailer/manufacturer.

WD Raptor 150GB- 5 yr 250-300$

Dell WD "160GB" 1 yr 209$

hmmmm not much to think about there.

fluffysheap
07-02-2006, 05:09 PM
To get back on the original topic, it depends what you want to do. If you only care about games then the Raptors are better, but if you are going to get into video or anything involving BitTorrent/etc then you will wish you had that space. The thing about hard drives is that hard drive speed only affects load times, not frames per second, so even if your HD is slow it doesn't really hurt you very much. Plus bigger HDs don't have to be upgraded as often, saving you money in the long run. Faster drives can help if you are needing to swap, but it's better to avoid that by just buying enough RAM. As you can tell I am a big fan of bigger drives and think the super-expensive super-fast drives are a waste of money unless you are running a big database server where disk speed actually does matter a lot.

Sometimes bigger is faster... it depends on what you are doing. There are three things that go into hard drive speed- seek time, rotational latency, throughput. Bigger helps with seek time, faster RPM helps with rotational latency and throughput. Both seek time and rotational latency go into how fast you can find data on the drive but seek time is more important.

I made a little chart (I group Raid0 and Raid5 together because even though they are different they have similar performance traits, just Raid5 is a little slower than Raid0 on writes):

Big Fast Raid0/5 Raid1
Read Throughput No Change Better Much Better Much Better
Write Throughput No Change Better Much Better No Change
Seek Time (average) Better Little Better Little Better Little Better
Seek Time (worst case) No Change Little Better No Change No Change
So as you can see having the 10K RPM drive will on average improve performance compared to having a big drive, but not as much as having RAID will.

Oh and yeah, Dell sucks compared to building your own. It's like having your house custom built vs. living in a trailer.

Even buying a system from a local builder is usually better than Dell - even if it doesn't save you money you get better quality components, you can get Mushkin or Corsair RAM instead of Foo Yon Imports or whatever Dell puts in their systems, same with motherboards, power supply, etc etc. Though, for the record, the Dell system that I bought in 1996 is still going strong.

SturmoV
07-02-2006, 10:28 PM
wrong thinking m8 :p: its not about quality. you never know when you catch a virus or somebody kicks your case and your HDD will be full of bad sectors.

Viruses don't affect the drives physically, afaik. I wouldn't bother RMAing a drive the failure of which I caused (like kicking the case). :nono:

if I am going to shell 200$ for a high end HDD, I want the 5 year warranty, and have no arguments with the detailer/manufacturer.

WD Raptor 150GB- 5 yr 250-300$

Dell WD "160GB" 1 yr 209$

hmmmm not much to think about there.

I paid $178.82 for mine after shipping and taxes. The difference is substantial enough for me to care not about the differences in warranty. :fact:

Serra
07-03-2006, 10:25 AM

Ditto on the "check out the FPS killer thread" suggestion. Then, after that, check out the chat area for a thread entitled something along the lines of "why do people hate Dell so much". I'm sure you'll find more than one or two reasons.

BlackX
07-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Viruses don't affect the drives physically, afaik. I wouldn't bother RMAing a drive the failure of which I caused (like kicking the case). :nono:

I paid $178.82 for mine after shipping and taxes. The difference is substantial enough for me to care not about the differences in warranty. :fact:

DELL -> :kissbutt: <- SturmoV

SturmoV
07-03-2006, 04:41 PM
DELL -> :kissbutt: <- SturmoV

No, no, you've got it wrong. :nono:

/kindergarten mode

SturmoV's Wallet -> :kissbutt: <- SturmoV

there...

Here's another one:

SturmoV -> :slap: <- BlackX

:rolleyes:

tifius
07-05-2006, 03:48 PM
amagad the smiley skillz! Dell is alright, especially here in Sweden where u can get them cheaper off work as a benifit. however if youre annoyed over not being able to set memory timings yourself its not a good buy :P however some of their gamingrigs are just way off in price.

BlackX
07-09-2006, 09:43 AM
SturmoV -> :slap: <- BlackX

would love to see that :rofl:

phelan1777
07-09-2006, 12:12 PM
hmm I have two DELL little medalion type thinga mabobs that I yanked from school computers, think I should mount them on my Stacker?

Muhahaha, Here is MY DELL!

SturmoV
07-13-2006, 03:03 PM
would love to see that :rofl:

You sure would, eh... :poke: :ROTF:

perkam
07-13-2006, 06:50 PM
I had a dell for most of my time here. Only upgraded like a year ago.

I actually built the first "What to Buy" Guide using a dell ;)

I have no issues with dell. They have good parts and cheap prices. However, their cooling absolutely sucks. They skimp on cooling like an eskimo in miami.

I still miss my old northwood I had in the dell. Ran 25C cooler than the celeron I have now :shakes:...and on crappy dell cooling.

Mussy Mushkin, your best option is to go with the 1TB. Not the faster hd because usually dell support has little knowledge of rebadged stuff. The regular HDs are their own.

Perkam

Nocturnal
07-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Get 2x750GB Seagates. They've been dropping in price lately.

tdunks
07-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Get 2x750GB Seagates. They've been dropping in price lately.
PLEASE read the main post and ALL of the posts after it before makign your post so you can see all of the info. He can't get two 750GB hard drives..He can only get the ones listed as he is buying a DELL :slap: