PDA

View Full Version : Parallel on Apple, better than boot camp??

Charles Wirth
06-29-2006, 03:58 PM
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

I hear this is a better option than boot camp for those who have Intel based macs. I will give it a test run when it.

One step closer to VT technology.

hicookie
06-29-2006, 04:01 PM
nice news.

Mr. Popo
06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
lol I just saw it few weeks ago! You can switch to full screen mode and when you go back the screen flip over! :ROTF:
BTW, it's so smooth... who ever made it did a great job! it runs XP better than my FX-55/2GB :P

couppi
06-30-2006, 11:14 AM
That looks nice. Didn't they have free betas out a while back?

executor252
07-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Anyone tried gaming on a windows virtual machine? The more I play with OS X, the more I realize that the only programs I am going to want to dual-boot for are games... basically Battlefield 2, etc. WoW is already installed and running (well, albeit without anti-aliasing, which I can't figure out how to enable on Mac OS X) on my macbook pro under os x, so basically if BF2 and a few other games, like Oblivion, UT Classic, Quake III, and Halo (yes, I know several of these have mac os X ports, but I think they are all PPC ports which means they won't run... optimally on an x86 machine)

Anyway, yes... gaming on paralells?

Sorry to sound like the stereotypical game-obsessed twelve-year-old, but other than utorrent (there aren't that many stable AND good bittorrent clients for mac os x), I just can't think of anything else I would really need windows for, so if I could run games on a virtual machine and spare myself the rebooting... you know, that would be nice.

ugp
07-28-2006, 04:26 AM
I would be interested in see how that works for games as well...

I am going to be getting a MacBook at the beginning of the year.

FragTek
07-30-2006, 07:07 AM
I have both Parallels and BootCamp installed. Because Parallels is an emulator you can not game with it. Your gfx are dedicated to Mac OS X when running an emulator and can not be diverted for use inside the emulator. Just doesn't work.

BootCamp is the only way to game on a Mac, but it works damn well.

Parallels however is awesome for everything but gaming. It runs fast as hell and perfect for running all of the apps that OS X can't while not having to switch OS's.

ugp
07-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know if Apple checks to see if you are really a college student for the discounts?

FragTek
07-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know if Apple checks to see if you are really a college student for the discounts?
Yes, they do. You have to send them proper school identfication via fax to become eligible.

ugp
07-30-2006, 05:00 PM
When do they ask for that? Because it let me place my order and everything...

Also why kind of graphic performance does a MacBook offer?

FragTek
07-30-2006, 05:49 PM
When do they ask for that? Because it let me place my order and everything...

Also why kind of graphic performance does a MacBook offer?
They will ask for it before shipping out your order. And I take it you're speaking of the regular MB and not the MBP... Well the MB has Intel integrated graphics so don't expect to much from it. What I've heard though is that it plays CSS pretty well though (but just about anything can play CSS well). You don't plan to do much gaming with it do you?

ugp
07-30-2006, 06:24 PM
They will ask for it before shipping out your order. And I take it you're speaking of the regular MB and not the MBP... Well the MB has Intel integrated graphics so don't expect to much from it. What I've heard though is that it plays CSS pretty well though (but just about anything can play CSS well). You don't plan to do much gaming with it do you?
Not really...I actually just cancelled the order because it requires a sign when delievered.

How big is the default installation? Is 60GB enough for general use....?

And is 512 enough?

Only game I will plan to play is Day of Defeat: Source which is the same engine as CS:S though.

Pressure
07-31-2006, 12:29 PM
If neither BootCamp or Parallels does it for any of you, try out CrossOver Mac which lets you run Windows based applications without having Windows installed.

Just tried it with CPU-Z and it worked :)

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/pressure/CPU-Zmac.png

FragTek
08-01-2006, 04:09 PM
If neither BootCamp or Parallels does it for any of you, try out CrossOver Mac which lets you run Windows based applications without having Windows installed.

Wow! Didn't think that was going to be released for a long arse time... need to go check that out!

ewitte
08-02-2006, 06:23 AM

Really fast too. 1Mhz :woot:

FragTek
08-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Nothing can touch the power of a 1mhz Yonah, muahahaha! :)

I've been playing with it for a while now, got Steam installed, Photoshop, and a few other proggies. Works out pretty good for an Alpha release.

ugp
08-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I was able to test this out for myself and I have to say it works very nicely...

I love the way it switches to full screen mode...They could not have done a better job on it. Ran pretty smoothly and sure as hell beats using BootCamp unless you want to play some games and what not.

^s3
08-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Nothing can touch the power of a 1mhz Yonah, muahahaha! :)

I've been playing with it for a while now, got Steam installed, Photoshop, and a few other proggies. Works out pretty good for an Alpha release.

Where exactly are you getting it from? I'd like to see how well PS CS2 runs...

FragTek
08-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Where exactly are you getting it from? I'd like to see how well PS CS2 runs...
Send me a pm my friend :)

ugp
08-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Steam will install but doesn't play yet...it is still an Alpha release

I couldn't get DoD:S to play...it took me two times installing it to ever load steam up completely...

FragTek
08-13-2006, 06:32 AM
CS2 = photoshop ;)

^s3
08-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Send me a pm my friend :)

Sent ;).

ugp
08-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Well I have Adobe for OS X anyway...and it seems to work just fine...

^s3
08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Well I have Adobe for OS X anyway...and it seems to work just fine...

It does, but it's slow... If you're using it for PERSONAL stuff, it's fine. But Pros would want to look into emulation/Boot Camp more-so...

FragTek
08-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Ygpm

^s3
08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Steam will install but doesn't play yet...it is still an Alpha release

I couldn't get DoD:S to play...it took me two times installing it to ever load steam up completely...

Bah, Steam won't even load up completely... I've installed it a thousand times, too -_-.

FragTek
08-14-2006, 02:09 AM
At least it's only in the Alpha stages

ugp
08-14-2006, 04:27 AM
Yeah...Alpha is before Beta right?

FragTek
08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah...Alpha is before Beta right?
Indeed it is.

ugp
08-14-2006, 03:18 PM
I thought so...Beta is suppose to be out later this month I was reading on there website.

^s3
08-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Wo ist die Beta? It's the end of August -_-...

ugp
08-30-2006, 04:34 PM
I was reading that from there website...

^s3
09-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Yea, so I've been using it for the last week or so. I really like the Beta. It plays CS 1.6 fine. I haven't tried Source, but I use my notebook for most games anyways. CS2 demo won't install, so no Photoshop benches.

FragTek
09-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Im installing Source right now to give it a try.. CS1.6 works amazing well though, a few glitches in full screen mode, but windowed its flawless.

^s3
09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
^^ Windowed is the way to go... I dunno, in OS X I prefer windowed games. I guess because of the flow of the UI.

FragTek
09-07-2006, 02:07 AM
Here's my Source video :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114868