PDA

View Full Version : I have a low +5 psu voltage...

#ball3r
03-02-2003, 05:11 AM
not sure what happened but it's getting down to like 4.4. It's usually was around 4.8x, then in the last day i've started getting warnings about it being low. Even when it's at it's highest point now it's only 4.7. What do you think could be the cause of this? All the other power lines are fine.

TheDude
03-02-2003, 06:18 AM
Need more info...system specs...amd or pent? Extra components...is it overclocked..what PS..etc:D With that info, someone may have some ideas.

#ball3r
03-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Here are my specs...
XP2100+ tbred b 12.5x191 2.05v
epox 8rda+ voltmod not done yet
2x256 OCZ 3500el duel channel 2,2,2,4
msi ge4 4400 325/630
enermax eg-465 psu

This is on air cooling with very low temps for the system 20sys/34cpu. The only one that is hurting is the +5 rail and it sits at 4.704 now stable till I play games then it drops down to the 4.4-4.5 level. Once I shut the game down it climbs up again. Now I had a power flash last week and it kinda screwed with my comp. For a whole day I could not raise my fsb at all, but could use the multiplier to oc and got up as high as 18. So then all of a sudden it returned to normal, I couldn't explain what happened it just fixed it self. So since then I noticed my +5 rail has been a little lower from the 4.8xx it was before. Hope this info helps and I guess I should probably get ready to get a new ps. Oh i'm also using 3 ccfl's,

Tex
03-04-2003, 10:01 AM
A new psu is in order but they can go out nicely or violently, taking other parts with it along the way. If I were you for now I would quit OC'ing and put stuff back at stock voltages and stuff to not stress it any more then you have to untill a replacement is located.

Tex

#ball3r
03-04-2003, 12:27 PM
do you think the power flash I had would've caused this? I clocked my system down a little last night and noticed that when the cpu voltage went down, the +5 went up :). I'm now running 12x192 1.925v and it's running smooth as ever. The +5 rail is not at 4/759 stable.

Tex
03-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Yes a power surge could of caused damage to the voltage regulation circuits in the PSU. No way to tell.

And clocking it down will greatly reduce the stress on the psu and the 5 volt line. Watch it close. Use mbm5 torun a history of the highs and lows on the line.

Just remeber if thepsu goes... it can die gracefully or.... the plower regulation circuits can go the other way and allow way to high a voltage to hit the MB, CPU, Drives etc..

I have had a couple in 20 years of this now to actually kill everything in the friggin box when it blows. Its not often but... OC'ing and pushing it to the limits increases your odds, in a bad sort of way if ya get my drift.

Tex

#ball3r
03-04-2003, 01:25 PM
that sucks my psu is modded with a blue UV cover and 2 green UV fans inside :(. I guess i'll have to save the cover off it and take the fans out. How long do you think it will last?