PDA

View Full Version : Starting my little farm, Help with what to do with it.

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Ok so first off, I have Direcway/Hughes.net for my internet so I can not do anything that is constant back and forth or I will get shut down. If I go over 180mb in a 8 hour peroid they will slow me to a crawl then stop if it doesn't slow enough.
I will most likley run Linux on any that will take it cept the Mac's of course and my gaming rig when running :D

So here is what I will be putting online in the near future.
1. P2 233 w/256 ram Kid's win 98
2. P3 450 w/386 ram Kid's win98
3. 370 Celery 1gig w/ 512 ram no life yet proly Linux
4.Via 800mhz w/ 128 Linux+print server
5. Powerbook 450ppc 256 ram Wife 10.4
6. iMac G5 1.8 PPc 1g ram 10.4 Mine
7. Might put it on air till I get my phase/chiller project going then run it COLD!
Opty 144 clock yet to be seen. 2gig G.Skill HZ's Win64

I also have my mom's iMac and 2.4 P4 that is on roadrunner so no problems there and My Daughter and son inlaw's PowerMac 2x450 and P3 ? on DSL that I can put on.

SO please don't just say one or the other because you get a perk from it. I want to do this and get some use out of the old boxes and all but not if I can't use my internet for anything else.
So what do you DC'ers think I should look into?
PS sorry for the book.

Martijn
06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Ok so first off, I have Direcway/Hughes.net for my internet so I can not do anything that is constant back and forth or I will get shut down. If I go over 180mb in a 8 hour peroid they will slow me to a crawl then stop if it doesn't slow enough.
I will most likley run Linux on any that will take it cept the Mac's of course and my gaming rig when running :D

So here is what I will be putting online in the near future.
7. Might put it on air till I get my phase/chiller project going then run it COLD!

I also have my mom's iMac and 2.4 P4 that is on roadrunner so no problems there and My Daughter and son inlaw's PowerMac 2x450 and P3 ? on DSL that I can put on.

SO please don't just say one or the other because you get a perk from it. I want to do this and get some use out of the old boxes and all but not if I can't use my internet for anything else.
So what do you DC'ers think I should look into?
PS sorry for the book.

You can use your old boxes for something like dimes or majestic 12. They do use a lot of bandwith, but you can cap it so it doesn't use over 180MByte/8Hours. The other rigs should be fine for any project.

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-28-2006, 09:20 AM
You can use your old boxes for something like dimes or majestic 12. They do use a lot of bandwith, but you can cap it so it doesn't use over 180MByte/8Hours. The other rigs should be fine for any project.

This is what I am asking is what projects for what boxes with out getting FAP'ed from Hughes.

LP_
06-28-2006, 10:11 AM
If you are really restricted in bandwith usage, I'd run DPAD/Muon1 because you dl it once and it spawns its own work off that.
It uploads when it reaches 100 kb or you can set it not to upload automaticaly.

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/

[XC] gomeler
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
To make a serious dent in Dimes you need to have an open-ended connection, same with Majestic-12 so I would avoid those. While there isn't a ton of processing power within all those computers, they could still push out some decent points due to their numbers. I'd suggest finding a single project and loading all the machines onto that single project so you will see the points rise faster. It is unfortunate that you couldn't do Majestic-12 or Dimes, the stats rise so quickly in those. Keep us updated in what you decide to do, glad to hear another farm is joining the collective.

Err collective, sounds eerily of the borg from star trek :-D

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
If you are really restricted in bandwith usage

Exactly what I am saying here. I will check into it LP but it only does windows and I have 4 Mac's in the colective.
Any others like this? I have the cpu's but not the bandwith

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
so you are saying rosetta on all of them then? I can use the same user name and such on each computer ok and it will all add to my total from all machines.
But Littleowl said he got FAP'ed when setting up his the first time so am I getting it 7 or 8 times then for the first setup?

[XC]thewildblue
06-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Any particular reason why you cant change ISPs. As you would benefit in the long run and it would be less hassle for yourself.

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Any particular reason why you cant change ISPs. As you would benefit in the long run and it would be less hassle for yourself.

yessssss sir!! I get 56k dial up or this only! :mad: no cable or dsl isdn nothing.

[XC]thewildblue
06-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Wow you must be out in the sticks. Have you considered satelite as that would be quite nice. Can you request the cap be dropped/increased ? I would be tempted with a free call 56k that can be on all the time for DC projects and use the DSL for surfing.

IN the mean time whack those rigs on QMC and buffer some work, they are nice long wus so 180mb in 8 hours should be ok.

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Direcway is satelite, and it is still better than dial up. I have black top out to the driveway so not in the sticks, just not close enough to town to get anything else

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-28-2006, 01:14 PM
So Jose says to look into the sieve ones. So what are the best ones to join? Still beter to go with just one and go from there of put a couple on each one?

Anyway to make the ones I have local act as one big computer and crunch not one on one easly?

[XC] moddolicous
06-28-2006, 01:45 PM
so you are saying rosetta on all of them then? I can use the same user name and such on each computer ok and it will all add to my total from all machines.
But Littleowl said he got FAP'ed when setting up his the first time so am I getting it 7 or 8 times then for the first setup?
I would NOT put rosetta on their since we are already doing very well as it is. Not much more firepower is needed. On these 2:

I'd put seasonal attribution on them since they get the same amount of points as regular comps. Only downside is they are mem hogs. On these 3:

I'd put maybe einstein @ home or DPAD.
On the 2 macs

I'd put OGR25 or RC5-72 as ironbits somewhere on these forums said that Macs were good at this. Thats what I would do if I had your farm. Here's the post:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1454495&postcount=10

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-29-2006, 03:19 AM
and so it shall be done unless some one else has a argument to what Mod has to offer. LMK
Thanks for all you help guys. I hope to build it up and replace the slow ones with something to really do something. I am just going to use what i have for now and do so when I can.

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-29-2006, 03:21 AM
Can some one point me to a 4+ port KVM on the cheap?
Also a Slot A board for a 700 T-bred cpu I have laying around

Jose
06-29-2006, 07:06 AM
and so it shall be done unless some one else has a argument to what Mod has to offer. LMK
Thanks for all you help guys. I hope to build it up and replace the slow ones with something to really do something. I am just going to use what i have for now and do so when I can.

No arguments. Just a big TY !!!!!

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-29-2006, 07:26 AM
@Mod But here is a couple question to get me going.
1. What are the team names/numbers/what ever I need for each one of those so XS get's the credit along with me?
2.What is XS_The_Machine exactly?

@Jose Glad to help, And WOW :eek2: your avi pic is my favorite team now also. I have no idea who they are but. Well Yum!

LP_
06-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Can some one point me to a 4+ port KVM on the cheap?
Also a Slot A board for a 700 T-bred cpu I have laying around

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817107602
is about as cheap as you can get with cables included.
They also have one in refurbs, but for the price difference, I'd go with the new one.
I've had a couple of these, and they are ok. Not great, but seeing as cables are included... they get the job done.

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-29-2006, 07:39 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817107602
is about as cheap as you can get with cables included.
They also have one in refurbs, but for the price difference, I'd go with the new one.
I've had a couple of these, and they are ok. Not great, but seeing as cables are included... they get the job done.

Thanks, going to check them out now.

Jose
06-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Once you get into a project and have a personal account go to the projects Home page ...where it says team , clcik Join A team and search for XtremeSystems (notice please that there is no space between the two words) join the team and voila!!! Your points will be addet to the teams

XS_THE_MACHINE is one of the great Sub Teams The Xtreme Systems Community has :)

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Sub team got ya. I'll work on getting the systems together and formated then up and running I hope soon. THanks again.

[XC]thewildblue
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Is the athlon a slot or socket processor as this will determine the board thats required.

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-29-2006, 12:34 PM
it is a slot A not a socket A the ones that slocket adpt. was made to fit a socket to a slot.
My Via chip is a socket A in the ECS board.

Is there a min. Hard drive space needed in these boxes?

[XC]thewildblue
06-29-2006, 12:46 PM
I wouldnt know where to find a slot A in the states to be honest.

[XC] mysticmerlin
06-29-2006, 12:56 PM
I have been watching flebay for a year now and have only seen 4 go through but they went for way to much so I am still waiting. Just hoping some one had one sitting on the shelf on here and wanted to sell/give it cheap.

[XC]thewildblue
06-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Whack a post up in the wanted section. You never know.

[XC] mysticmerlin
07-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I would NOT put rosetta on their since we are already doing very well as it is. Not much more firepower is needed. On these 2:

I'd put seasonal attribution on them since they get the same amount of points as regular comps. Only downside is they are mem hogs. On these 3:

I'd put maybe einstein @ home or DPAD.
On the 2 macs

I'd put OGR25 or RC5-72 as ironbits somewhere on these forums said that Macs were good at this. Thats what I would do if I had your farm. Here's the post:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1454495&postcount=10

Got RC5-72 up and running on the iMac G5 :) one down bunches to go.

[XC] riptide
07-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Got RC5-72 up and running on the iMac G5 :) one down bunches to go.
Hey Mystic. You got a P4 somewhere in your armada? I think you had a 1.8 or summit! They are good at Seventeen or bust. I started a thread a few days ago out in the DC Vault forum! Check it out!

[XC] mysticmerlin
07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey Mystic. You got a P4 somewhere in your armada? I think you had a 1.8 or summit! They are good at Seventeen or bust. I started a thread a few days ago out in the DC Vault forum! Check it out!

Sorry bud no P4's anymore traded it in for a opty144 and now working on a 4600+ so i can split the opty to another system if I get the money to get a board/ram/video

[XC] mysticmerlin
07-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Got R@H on the Opty 144 now.
2 Down many more to go