PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial???

TVFREAKAZOID
06-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Hey fellas where is a link for a tutorial to put my new hsf? I have a opty 175 and have the stock hsf. I'm going to buy zalman 9500 and going to be using a as5. I never done this before so i'll need pictures if it's possible. thanks.

Sneaky
06-28-2006, 12:34 AM
well how'd you put on your stock heatsink? don't tell me a store did it... please.

and btw... you missed DFI street by a few letters

naelq
06-28-2006, 12:39 AM
as far as it's a Zalman, no problemo ;) http://www.zalman.co.kr/upload/product/CNPS9500.swf

afireinside
06-28-2006, 12:50 AM
well how'd you put on your stock heatsink? don't tell me a store did it... please.

LOL!

akijikan
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Per AS's instructions for AS5 (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm):

If you're using a proc with an IHS, then you want to put a bit on about the size of 1/2 a BB bullet, without spreading it around, set the heatsink on top and rotate a couple of degrees in each direction to spread evenly and lose bubbles.

If your proc doesn't have an IHS (stock or removed) then you want to put a 1/4 of a BB's worth and spread it to cover the entire core, but only the core. Thickness depends on your HS...with one that is well lapped and smooth you can use a relatively thin layer, if its fairly rough, you need a thicker layer to fill in.

More detail + pics on that link.

Theta
06-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Careful when installing the 9500 - if this is your first HSF install. Carefully screw the side screws down EVENLY.

Wouldn't want you to crack the CPU or board from doing them one at a time. That SWF file is a nice resource. The whole process isn't too hard, just take a bit of time.

Also, the board may bend a tiny bith with the 9500, this is normal. ;)

afireinside
06-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Theres no way to crack a CPU when there's an IHS on it and theres no way to snap a board in half with a clip on sink.

TVFREAKAZOID
06-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Hey we got a smart ass here. Gotta always have one of those in these forums:woot:

TVFREAKAZOID
06-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Well I had a friend hooked my pc up. But I'm getting a new hsf. I read some different ways up putting on the as5. Do i just put a grain size of rice of as5 and let the weight of the hsf spread it, or do i spread it first then put the hsf??? :confused:

thunderstruck!
06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Well I had a friend hooked my pc up. But I'm getting a new hsf. I read some different ways up putting on the as5. Do i just put a grain size of rice of as5 and let the weight of the hsf spread it, or do i spread it first then put the hsf??? :confused:
Read post #5.

Per AS's instructions for AS5 (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm):

If you're using a proc with an IHS, then you want to put a bit on about the size of 1/2 a BB bullet, without spreading it around, set the heatsink on top and rotate a couple of degrees in each direction to spread evenly and lose bubbles.

If your proc doesn't have an IHS (stock or removed) then you want to put a 1/4 of a BB's worth and spread it to cover the entire core, but only the core. Thickness depends on your HS...with one that is well lapped and smooth you can use a relatively thin layer, if its fairly rough, you need a thicker layer to fill in.

More detail + pics on that link.

Theta
06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Theres no way to crack a CPU when there's an IHS on it and theres no way to snap a board in half with a clip on sink.

Not the core, was meaning the silicon substrate if only one side had pressure applied.

And for reference, I never said snap the board in half. You can, however, damage the board with the retention backplate that the 9500 ships with, since the holes do not have a stop point.

Schmetterling
06-28-2006, 09:16 PM

Just put a small dot in the middle and install the cooler. I've done it like this for months now and i get nice temps with it :)

- Schmetterling

afireinside
06-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Hey we got a smart ass here. Gotta always have one of those in these forums:woot:

Well the site is XTREMEsystems.org and you asked a question that is answered on the AS site...