PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get a rig up again

LP_
06-26-2006, 07:25 PM
I lost one last week when it was over 90 degrees.
Hubby shut off the AC in the computer room overnight and when I got up, I had a rig shut off. I tried replacing everything (PS, ram, re-seated cpu, reset cmos, video card, took mobo out in case it was shorting on the case and nothing worked) CPU looks ok, so I ordered a new mobo and I'm hoping like heck that it was the problem, and that I didn't lose the cpu.
It's nothing special now days, just a AMD 3000, but it was one of my better crunchers.

KaptainBlaZzed
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
That sucks, tell him not to touch your AC.:D

Hope you get it back up soon.

LP_
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
That sucks, tell him not to touch your AC.:D

Hope you get it back up soon.

Yeah, I didn't even tell him. I didn't want to make him feel bad..

I will just use his money to buy a new mobo. :D

Haltech
06-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Hmm usually when a PC overheats, the screen just freezes. Odd you lost the board. The heat probably just helped put the board out of its misery as it was most likely going to die anyways.

LP_
06-27-2006, 04:26 AM
Hmm usually when a PC overheats, the screen just freezes. Odd you lost the board. The heat probably just helped put the board out of its misery as it was most likely going to die anyways.

I'm not 100% sure it was the board, but through the process of elimination, I'm down to the board or the cpu. I'm hoping it was the board since it was crappy anyway.

LP_
06-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Ok guys, I guessed right and it was the mobo. I did a quick set up outside the case with the new one and it booted fine. Now to get it in the case, install the OS and give the old one a decent, but quick burial, in the trash can.

My first hardware death, in the line of DC duty. :rocker:

InSanCen
06-28-2006, 02:16 PM

Hopefully the last too...:D

Lost a 1500VA UPS last week, but the Power co is paying for a new one...:D

[XC] riptide
06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
May God have mercy on its soul....... ['Last Post' ensues]

STEvil
06-28-2006, 07:19 PM
trash? no way, keep it for repairs or see if its fixable!! ;)