PDA

View Full Version : Is your internet uncapped ?

[XC]thewildblue
06-25-2006, 11:40 PM
If you have an unmetered internet connection why not get majestic 12 up and running for the team, we are currently working our way up the rankings. 5 - 10 more solid users would really make a difference.

Jose
06-26-2006, 03:17 AM
Right now my problem is that .NET and some of my regular computer applications are at war. I am working on the .net issue .

nn_step
06-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Right now my problem is that .NET and some of my regular computer applications are at war. I am working on the .net issue .
agreed. if there only was a version that didn't need .Net or Mono (the open sourse version of .Net) I could custom bake a version so that at full speed it wouldn't need 40Mb of ram and at snail speed it would use 20Mb and a system with just 256MB of ram could run 10 Virtual rigs

MasterOfTheReal
06-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Can it run on linux? If so I have 10mb uncapped ready here for it.
If not, fraid not ;(

[XC]thewildblue
06-26-2006, 04:49 AM
Yes it does run on linux as far as Im aware.

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/download.php
Yes looks like a linux client is available.

[XC] leviathan18
06-26-2006, 06:45 AM
TWB this use processor time? or just BW i have uncaped connection but is well lets say slow 512kbpsD/128kbpsU i can help if it doesnt kill my BW and if it doesnt kill my rosetta production

[XC] moddolicous
06-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Yes it does run on linux as far as Im aware.

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/download.php
Yes looks like a linux client is available.
You will also need mono if you run it on linux.

TWB this use processor time? or just BW i have uncaped connection but is well lets say slow 512kbpsD/128kbpsU i can help if it doesnt kill my BW and if it doesnt kill my rosetta production
If you set the archiver to a longer delay, than it will use less cpu clocks (ie 100 or 120). If you set the number of crawlers too high, then that will affect your bandwith. 100 workers is supposed to be good for 2mb down, so you should give 30 a try.

Martijn
06-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Man, it uses a freaking large amount of download bandwith :eek:

Running 3 days now @ 3Mbit, and already done 5GB, WTF? We still have a fair use policy, so I'll have to cap it for a week or so until we get 10Mbit uncapped :p:

[XC]thewildblue
06-26-2006, 11:26 AM
This project does use some CPU but shouldnt take alot away from the CPU intensive projects as its mosty based on bandwidth. Its very hungry, but on the bright side its relatively easy to gain big points if you have a big pipe. So its not down to farm size just down to pipe.

[XC] DragonOrta
06-26-2006, 12:26 PM
The only time it really uses CPU is when it's uploading, but it can use around 40% when uploading, at least it did on my 2.8 P4, so if you can, set a longer time between uploads.

Haltech
06-26-2006, 02:35 PM
It will use a lot too when it archives. Its a good project and people are really noticing us in their mirrors right now!

mat128
06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm in.. if I like it I'll stay in. What do you think a connection like mine can get? 10mbits down 960 kbits up (thats cable).

Thanks.

[XC] moddolicous
06-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Are you using a router?? If not, you can give somewhere around 200 or 250 crawlers and 30 open url buckets. Check the manual:
http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/mj12node/manual/
Its a little old, but still helps.

Haltech
06-26-2006, 04:46 PM
You will get better results with your connection when you use multiple computers. Install MJ12 across 3 or 4 computers. You should lay down some good numbers, around 2.5-3 million a day.

KaptainBlaZzed
06-26-2006, 07:03 PM
I just installed MJ12 on one of my machines for a test run. If i like it i have 3 more Windows machines i will put it on.

Haltech
06-26-2006, 09:03 PM
There ya go, whore yourself out! :toast:

[XC] gomeler
06-26-2006, 09:04 PM
OMG.. I peak at around 40-50mbit a second on campus. I'm going to try this out, does the team have a pw?

[XC] gomeler
06-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Joined as Gomeler. Time to see what my connection is capable of. hope the campus internet police don't break my door down for excessive bandwidth use :-D

[XC]thewildblue
06-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Nice to have you with us guys.

[XC] DragonOrta
06-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Hey Gomoler, if you're interested, RogueAgent06 and I are running under the XSTM name. You can join up with us if you want. If you need the PW, let me know.

[XC]melymel
06-27-2006, 03:17 AM
OMG.. I peak at around 40-50mbit a second on campus. I'm going to try this out, does the team have a pw?

:eek: thats one nice connection as haltech said run as many clients as possible on maximum settings if set up properly that would be some awesome help right there.

Damn it all these people with fast connections are making me and my 2mbit jeealous :p: cheers for joining everyone :toast:

Haltech
06-27-2006, 10:44 AM
To join the XS team, you dont need a PW.. To join the The Machine, just pm Dragon..

Thanks to everyones help, we are laying down between 13-15 million a day. That roughly 30% more than FDC puts out and 45% more than norway is laying down!:toast:

MasterOfTheReal
06-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Hmm Ill look into the freeBSD verion, just need to check it for saftey concerns then if shes ok Ill get her up and running

nn_step
06-27-2006, 10:57 AM
just set it up on virtual machines. so that even if the virtual machine is hacked or anything. the standard base is un touched

Haltech
06-27-2006, 11:39 AM
To elaborate on what NN Step is talking about, this will only work IF and i mean IF, when you setup your VM's, make damn sure that the workgroup they belong to is not in relation to your actual networking workgroup. To give you an example, my main workgroup i use in my network is :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:Net... When i had set up all of my VM's, i placed them on workgroup DIMES.. This way, there is no access to your main workgroup. You have to remember that VMWare uses bridge networking.

NickS
06-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I'mma throw this on my Dell 900 Rig (which i use with my main rig, Synergy ownz)

Nick

[XC] gomeler
06-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Hmmm I guess my single computer can't fully utilize my connection. I might try and pull out my old A-XP box and find a router to use, just wish this machine could do all the work.

rogueagent6
06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey Gomoler, if you're interested, RogueAgent06 and I are running under the XSTM name. You can join up with us if you want. If you need the PW, let me know.

How 'bout that graph D.O.? Not quite the same any more is it? :fact:

:D

[XC] DragonOrta
06-27-2006, 03:08 PM
The graph has beeing looking a little diffent for the past few days. :p: I've been turning up some of the settings on my one client, and I put MJ12 on one of my DIMES VMs on my one linux box, because I can't get it running in linux for the life of me. I'm sure it would be easier if I were trying with 32-bit linux, but 64-bit linux just doesn't have as much support as 32-bit.

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-27-2006, 05:02 PM
dammit XSTM, you're gonna go and knock me down a peg in MJ12... i hate subteams -_-

hey moddo, lets make an anti-XSTM subteam for MJ12! ;)

[XC] DragonOrta
06-27-2006, 05:08 PM
LOL!!! Bloody, he is a part of XSTM, there was just a bit of miscommunication at the start of the MJ12 team.

Although I have to say, XSTM is thoroughly spanking you. :p:

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-27-2006, 05:12 PM
well no durr one lone guy is gonna get spanked by like 5! sheesh, i'd like to see haltech hold back XSTM if there were any more people on it. ;)
MJ12 is not a project for freakin subteams -_-

[XC] DragonOrta
06-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Hmmmm, maybe it's time for a Machine-wide PM...

And as far as I know, XSTM is just RogueAgent06 and I in MJ12.

rogueagent6
06-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Hmmmm, maybe it's time for a Machine-wide PM...

And as far as I know, XSTM is just RogueAgent06 and I in MJ12.

LOL! I think you're on to something there. :D

Yeah, it's just me and D.O. at the moment. ;)

KaptainBlaZzed
06-27-2006, 07:28 PM
well no durr one lone guy is gonna get spanked by like 5! sheesh, i'd like to see haltech hold back XSTM if there were any more people on it. ;)
MJ12 is not a project for freakin subteams -_-

I am not a fan of subteams.

I am a 1 man wreckin crew.:woot:

[XC] gomeler
06-28-2006, 03:51 AM
How could I join XSTM? I'd love to help hit #1 w/ XSTM :)

[XC] gomeler
06-28-2006, 03:52 AM
Just noticed that kaptainblazzed and I are literally tied for 6th place within the team. I need to find a way to eek a few more URLS/hour out to win =D

[XC] gomeler
06-28-2006, 03:53 AM
And I also noticed that Free-DC has been ramping up production :-\ Done whoring this thread, you can have it back.

Dr_at_Home
06-28-2006, 02:46 PM
I put my Pentium2 on this to see how it does, but its getting "v.high" errors.

:o

Haltech
06-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Back down the amount of async workers and url buckets. What else do you have running on that machine?

Dr_at_Home
06-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Back down the amount of async workers and url buckets. What else do you have running on that machine?
Just mIRC, but that barely uses any resources even on this old thing. It was set to 25 workets and 5 buckets, now its 10 and 5 (buckets cant go lower then 5?)

Haltech
06-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Onboard nic or pci nic? Also, if you use WinRAR as an external archiver, it will help.. A PII may be pushing it. I know it works fine with P3's

[XC] riptide
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I put my Pentium2 on this to see how it does, but its getting "v.high" errors.

:o
Hmmm the only reason i got errors on my P2 laptop was when I moved too far away from the wireless Ap in the house. Whats your connection?

Dr_at_Home
06-28-2006, 03:41 PM
PCI nic. Connection is Adelphia cable ~4000+ megabit down, 380 or so up.

I ran it on my main rig and its fine. The P2 seems happy now by the way... errors "normal" on both rigs.

:)

[XC] gomeler
06-28-2006, 05:24 PM
I get this error a lot

[6/28/2006 9:22:12 PM] SaveWorkerData can't operate on oItem that is null!

Should I drop the number of works/buckets?

Haltech
06-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Hmmm the only reason i got errors on my P2 laptop was when I moved too far away from the wireless Ap in the house. Whats your connection?

I only have a 30megabit down / 5 megabit up connection.

Youre using wireless? :slap:

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-28-2006, 07:12 PM
oooh, 4 gbit cable xD
hal, when does your line get doubled to 60/10? i soooo wish FiOS was availible here; i'd pay for it out of my own pocket, screw my parents!

[XC] riptide
06-29-2006, 02:28 AM
I only have a 30megabit down / 5 megabit up connection.

Youre using wireless? :slap:
Well, Had a wireless router that the ISP gave me, so the lappy was connected into that. Main rig was wired to it though. Lag times playing games were worse over wireless. Now I'm on dial up until I get another bachelor pad sorted. Once I go too far away from the router... (Internet router on 3rd floor of a very big house), I noticed errors started hitting 50% when the signal dropped. Concrete walls there.

Haltech
06-29-2006, 02:22 PM
oooh, 4 gbit cable xD
hal, when does your line get doubled to 60/10? i soooo wish FiOS was availible here; i'd pay for it out of my own pocket, screw my parents!

Supposedly around november. it all depends on what time warner does. If they match Verizons speed, Verizon said they will double theres at no addtional cost.

hawkeyefan
06-29-2006, 02:55 PM
just joined up and started running this yesterday and am having some issues on an uncapped 3mbit DSL connection

basically no matter how many/few buckets and workers I allow, the success rate gradually goes down and doesn't stop until it hits zero

is it my garbage router? I've tried turning off persistent connection and turning Archiving CPU use to idle and Main crawl thread to High but nothing seems to help

Jose
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
And I also noticed that Free-DC has been ramping up production :-\ Done whoring this thread, you can have it back.

The Free DC may ramp their production as much as they wish but at the Vault level they will loose more than 750 vault points to XtremeSystems before the big mano a mano for MJ12 Top honors happensns

Haltech
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
What kind of router? Are you using DHCP through the router? Are you running any other DC projects?

Try persistant connections set to OFF

hawkeyefan
06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
What kind of router? Are you using DHCP through the router? Are you running any other DC projects?

trying that again and restarting the app now

the "router" is a POS Actiontec dsl gateway with a nat (GT-701wg)

dynamic ip and I refuse to pay Qwest another $10 for a block of 8 static. I can't stand the service anyway as higher bandwidth=higher interleave=still higher latency.

currently running also DIMES and Rosetta on the same (and only) rig.

thanks for your help, Haltech

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Supposedly around november. it all depends on what time warner does. If they match Verizons speed, Verizon said they will double theres at no addtional cost.
i pray time warner does that, as they're my provider.

[XC] moddolicous
06-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, I'm kinda back. Optimum is done working on our lines (phone actually works lol) but I moved half our cables, so my personal comp is offline right now, and the smoothwall ISNT set up. I couldnt figure it out at all! Made a topic on their forum and hopefully they'll help. I'm turning majestic on my bro's comp and my dad's comp (I want my spot back!).

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-29-2006, 06:44 PM
thanks for the spot moddo :D
i might pork my P2 tonight with IPCOP, but we'll see. depends how bored i am and how willing to be doused in dust i am...

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-29-2006, 07:08 PM
well, i've set up my P2 box in its old working state and i'm going to attempt to install IPCOP on it, partly out of curiousity and as a viable replacement for my POS router. lets see how this goes ;)

well, its easy enough to install, i just have to wait for my bro's friend to go home before i take down the network and config it.

hawkeyefan
06-29-2006, 10:51 PM

turning off persistent connections didn't help. not getting excessive errors (>2.5%) aside from the timeouts that gradually increase. I did un-check static 64kb packet size and that seemed to help a little.

PPPoA VC-Mux, router controls DHCP, RFC 1483 bridging, dynamic DNS.

I don't think this poor thing can handle the load to be honest. I don't have the option to put it into 1483 half-bridged mode (DHCP spoofing). Would I be better off putting it into transparent bridged mode and just let XP handle the DHCP?

just checked the stats page and at this point with 220k crawls I've got less than 2000MB downloaded?

Haltech
06-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Just dont use DHCP on your NICs, use static ip mapping instead.. You will need DHCP for you connection to your ISP, but turn off DHCP in the router for the computers connected.

WesM63
06-30-2006, 03:07 PM
XSTM, Hook me up.

I'm in.. i can cap it in the program correct? I have a full DS3 here at work, so things *could* get ulgy ;)

mat128
06-30-2006, 08:29 PM
:eek:

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-30-2006, 08:58 PM
holy :banana::banana::banana::banana: IPCOP/Smoothwall are a PITA to work with!!! 10+ installs and configs later (with various setups) and still absolutely zero success... christ, and to top things off, the downtime on my main rig sustained due to such tinkering will leave me battered and bruised in today's dailies :(

any XSers with a working IPCOP/Smoothwall box?

rogueagent6
06-30-2006, 11:10 PM
XSTM, Hook me up.

I'm in.. i can cap it in the program correct? I have a full DS3 here at work, so things *could* get ulgy ;)

Wes, you got PM.

holy :banana::banana::banana::banana: IPCOP/Smoothwall are a PITA to work with!!! 10+ installs and configs later (with various setups) and still absolutely zero success... christ, and to top things off, the downtime on my main rig sustained due to such tinkering will leave me battered and bruised in today's dailies :(

any XSers with a working IPCOP/Smoothwall box?

Whatcha need BS? I have used both, but am currently using IPCop just cause smoothwall looks to be going comercial.

Shoot me a PM if ya need.

WesM63
07-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the PM's guys. I'll get it setup next time i'm in the office (monday).

hawkeyefan
07-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Just dont use DHCP on your NICs, use static ip mapping instead.. You will need DHCP for you connection to your ISP, but turn off DHCP in the router for the computers connected.

well I went out and bought a Linsys WRT54GS as I still suspected the Actiontec was the cause of all the timeouts. set the Linksys in the Actiontec's DMZ, turned off DHCP and forwarded everything in to the Linksys. set Linsys to static IP like you said, but instead let the Linksys handle DHCP. Right now I'm at almost 10 minutes uptime with 97.5% success rate using 15 buckets and 80 worker settings. and 0% timeouts vs. 50%. Is the Actiontec faulty?

[XC] gomeler
07-01-2006, 08:25 AM
That is a hell of a lot better than I manage. I think the routers between me and the web must be screwing up, I manage only a 90.3 to 90.8 success rate :-\ I'd blame your router though. the 54GS is a good router, almost all of linksys' routers are good actually.

Haltech
07-01-2006, 03:02 PM
DHCP just screws everything up on the LAN side. It works well on the WAN side, but once in the network, the overhead is just to great for a home router to deal with. I would seriously consider going static ip on the LAN side and call it done. Are you still using the wireless? If so, youre only going to get 20% of what MJ12 uses.

[XC]thewildblue
07-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Well with speedboost on my linksys wrt54gs I can get about 3000kb/sec which is the best Ive seen for wireless, so you need a 30mb pipe or bigger to max it properly. Generally though on 54mb wireless I can get about 800kb so anything bigger than 8mb is like haltech a plain ole waste. I always let my server deal with DHCP far more reilable.

Haltech
07-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Well with speedboost on my linksys wrt54gs I can get about 3000kb/sec which is the best Ive seen for wireless, so you need a 30mb pipe or bigger to max it properly. Generally though on 54mb wireless I can get about 800kb so anything bigger than 8mb is like haltech a plain ole waste. I always let my server deal with DHCP far more reilable.

Whats up with your soccer team losing!?

[XC]thewildblue
07-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Whats up with your soccer team losing!?

Well it was the way they depended on shrek, I mean rooney all the time. Svens tatics sucked as well, just as well it was his game. That was the best match I have seen them play,specially on 10 men, but hey thats life.I dont even like football that much, but you have to have pride in your country.

Haltech
07-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Well it was the way they depended on shrek, I mean rooney all the time. Svens tatics sucked as well, just as well it was his game. That was the best match I have seen them play,specially on 10 men, but hey thats life.I dont even like football that much, but you have to have pride in your country.

I hear you there... Im actually Welsh... I love both of my countries!

[XC]thewildblue
07-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I hear you there... Im actually Welsh... I love both of my countries!

Now I would say a comment about sheep, but I think that I will refrain....hehe :D

Haltech
07-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Now I would say a comment about sheep, but I think that I will refrain....hehe :D

Go eat your fish and chips!

[XC]thewildblue
07-01-2006, 03:25 PM
hehe.

hawkeyefan
07-01-2006, 03:52 PM
DHCP just screws everything up on the LAN side. It works well on the WAN side, but once in the network, the overhead is just to great for a home router to deal with. I would seriously consider going static ip on the LAN side and call it done. Are you still using the wireless? If so, youre only going to get 20% of what MJ12 uses.

I'm not actually running my crunching rig on the wireless, just one laptop and very infrequently. main rig is hardwired into the Linksys, which is now the wireless access point instead of the Actiontec. so basically it's a double-NAT setup I guess.

sorry I'm such a complete networking noob, but if I understand it, I should set my NIC to a static IP and just route everything that way?

everything from the Linksys NAT>> Actiontec>>ip should all be on the WAN side now, correct?

Haltech
07-01-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not actually running my crunching rig on the wireless, just one laptop and very infrequently. main rig is hardwired into the Linksys, which is now the wireless access point instead of the Actiontec. so basically it's a double-NAT setup I guess.

sorry I'm such a complete networking noob, but if I understand it, I should set my NIC to a static IP and just route everything that way?

everything from the Linksys NAT>> Actiontec>>ip should all be on the WAN side now, correct?

Yes.. set you nics to static, including the IP, DNS X 2, Gateway and submask

hawkeyefan
07-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Yes.. set you nics to static, including the IP, DNS X 2, Gateway and submask

thanks for the clarification Haltech, don't mean to waste you time with noobish questions;)

I really do appreciate the help...this is the first time I've networked anything...entered a static ip...all new to me:slapass:

hawkeyefan
07-03-2006, 12:50 PM
@Haltech

thanks again for the guidance...made some changes, put Actiontec in transparent bridging and managed to get connection working with Linksys handling PPPoE authentication and WAN-side DHCP server (even though it's a PPPoA service:confused: )

anyway, that got me out from behind the double NAT which was making port forwarding too difficult. setup as static ip as you suggested so no DHCP on LAN side anymore.

any suggestions for maxing out connection other than putting up more rigs? I'm within 400-600Kb/s of my max speed with 200 workers and 50 buckets. If I check "persistent connections" the timeouts start increasing again.

I suppose I need to learn how to use VM? :/

Martijn
07-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I suppose I need to learn how to use VM? :/

Yep, you get the max out of one rig by using VMWare. It is really easy to set up, although it does use a significant amount of ram. Have a look in the Dimes section.

hawkeyefan
07-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Yep, you get the max out of one rig by using VMWare. It is really easy to set up, although it does use a significant amount of ram. Have a look in the Dimes section.

I was completely confused the first time I read the VM sticky, I'll go through it again, these are things I really need to learn how to do.

thx Martijn

hawkeyefan
07-03-2006, 02:50 PM
wow, I raised the connection speed to well above Qwest's stated limit for my service and am getting up into the 4mb/s+ range on occaison.

watching the graph, bandwidth use seems to fluctuate quite a bit over the course of 20 minutes. Is this normal, or should download bandwith be more consistent? I realize using Persistent Connections would help in that regard, but I can't because of the timouts :(

Haltech
07-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Glad you got it worked out. MJ12 has yet to saturate my line... it needs more clients, whcih im not about to do.. im unloading my current A64 farm in favor of higher powered, more energy friendly conroes.

hawkeyefan
07-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Glad you got it worked out. MJ12 has yet to saturate my line... it needs more clients, whcih im not about to do.. im unloading my current A64 farm in favor of higher powered, more energy friendly conroes.

yeah that's some line you've got there, lol. wft is that, T3 or something?

You know I've been pricing out cheap crunching boxen and pretty much came to the same conclusion. Conroe really does look to be best bang/buck by a good margin. I was thinking a rig or two based on budget E6300, any reason to go with a different chip?

now I am curious to see whether this RHT noise is BS or for real. would make a budget AM2 X2 3600+ rig an option imho.