PDA

View Full Version : Locked multiplier on engineering samples?

fluffysheap
06-24-2006, 12:54 PM
I was under the impression that Intel generally made engineering-sample chips with unlocked multipliers. But everyone seems to be overclocking their Conroes using only FSB increase (and burning out their mainboards in the process). Is Conroe different? Or is there some other reason why the multiplier cannot go up? Or am I just plain wrong and even ES chips always have locked multipliers?

thunderstruck!
06-24-2006, 01:22 PM
ES chips don't have unlocked multis, and people burning out their boards has nothing to do with pushing FSB, but rather, high voltage, especially on mem.

adr
06-24-2006, 01:41 PM
I was under the impression that Intel generally made engineering-sample chips with unlocked multipliers. But everyone seems to be overclocking their Conroes using only FSB increase (and burning out their mainboards in the process). Is Conroe different? Or is there some other reason why the multiplier cannot go up? Or am I just plain wrong and even ES chips always have locked multipliers?
ES have locked multipliers but with the Intel Integrator Toolkit you can unlocked it to 6-60 only on Intel motherboard like the Badaxe;)

theteamaqua
06-24-2006, 01:45 PM
ES have locked multipliers but with the Intel Integrator Toolkit you can unlocked it to 6-60 only on Intel motherboard like the Badaxe;)

in that case how come no one use unlocked multiplier??? except Extreme Edition chips

cos i know that u can lower multiplier, b/c of EIST, but not higher

yotomeczek
06-24-2006, 01:50 PM

How to ??

adr
06-24-2006, 02:20 PM
How to ??
look at this thread
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96648&highlight=tool

fluffysheap
06-24-2006, 09:29 PM
The reason I ask is: I have a Conroe ES on an Intel BadAxe, and the option to set multiplier does appear in the BIOS. I set the multiplier to x7 and everything worked great (but then all chips with SpeedStep/EIST have multiplier unlocked downward). But when I set the multiplier up to x9 from x8 the system would not POST. Just to make sure I was testing only the multiplier I set the FSB to -15%, so I'm pretty sure it's not a CPU speed limitation.