PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5W DH + Vapochil LS

Aurhinius
06-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Just wondering if anyone has tried to fit a Vapochil LS to a P5W DH and experienced any fitting problems around the CPU socket. I am looking to upgrade to a Core 2 and this board but want to confirm there is no issues with a Vapo LS

Cheers

sierra_bound
06-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Do you have the S775 clamshell? If not, you'll need to get it. The S939/S478 clamshell won't work. I just got an Asus P5W DH and will probably test with Vapochill, though not today. Just looking at the socket area, it should fit with no problems. The S775 clamshell fit on the Bad Axe board which has a lot more capacitors near the socket.

Dynasty
06-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Just wondering if anyone has tried to fit a Vapochil LS to a P5W DH and experienced any fitting problems around the CPU socket. I am looking to upgrade to a Core 2 and this board but want to confirm there is no issues with a Vapo LS

Cheers

I have not tired yet with my LS, but with my Chilly1 dual head
I needed to surgically cut some of my arma as the caps to the right obstruct
my insulation and create air pockets. But, it is better for mounting then
my Bad Axe.

David9799
06-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Do you have the S775 clamshell? If not, you'll need to get it. The S939/S478 clamshell won't work. I just got an Asus P5W DH and will probably test with Vapochill, though not today. Just looking at the socket area, it should fit with no problems. The S775 clamshell fit on the Bad Axe board which has a lot more capacitors near the socket.

Where did you buy the Asus P5W DH?

vapb400
06-24-2006, 12:23 PM
XS user CornerJack has a modded VapoLS on a P5W DH, PM him maybe he has some info on mounting and such.

sierra_bound
06-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Where did you buy the Asus P5W DH?
Friend sent it to me from overseas.

The Vapochill does NOT need to be modded to work. The S775 clamshell is very small and fits around the socket. Trust me, it will work.

Aurhinius
06-24-2006, 12:27 PM
thanks folks, I haven't yet got the 775 clamshell but knew I would have to get one just trying to get everything in place as it is a major upgrade. Board, memory, CPU etc.

Want to get everything in place and some feedback before I part with my hard earned.

plus I haven't had an intel board in ages... I thought about waiting for the intel nvidia board but who knows.

sierra_bound
06-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Here is a pic of the Vapochill S775 clamshell on my Bad Axe board. There are a lot of caps where those blue heatsinks are. Still, it fits. The Asus board has a lot more room around the socket than the Bad Axe.

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/4272/img06260gl.jpg

theteamaqua
06-24-2006, 12:43 PM

lol how many times have u explain that??

oh and u can get it in frozencpu.com, both the clamshell, or the Vapochill LS LGA775 version

sierra_bound
06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
People used to AMD see all those caps near the socket and freak out. They think there's no way a heatsink or evaporator head will fit. The companies that design heatsinks and evaporator heads obviously thought it out so that their products will work on just about any board.

kiwi
06-24-2006, 02:39 PM
s939/478 clamsheel will fit with some modding.

Another type of screws and a bit cutting of clamshell itself because of close caps.

It is not a good idea for long term though

sierra_bound
06-24-2006, 02:48 PM
It's not worth the trouble, IMO, unless you are good at and enjoy modding. The biggest problem is the mounting holes which are spaced differently on S775 boards. The other problem is fitting insulation between the socket and the capacitors. You can use Armaflex, but the insulation that comes with the Vapochill kit is pretty good, as long as you can squeeze it between the socket and the caps.