PDA

View Full Version : The Tools of the Trade

SSJ5
06-24-2006, 07:02 AM
What someone should have in his workshop when doing mods? I know that the basic tool is the soldering iron but are there any other tools to help (especially when you have to solder tiny joints...)

sluggo
06-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Most useful is an illuminator with a magnifying lens. Something like http://www.dickblick.com/zz551/29/. Very handy for close work. You will also want a "thirrd hand", which is basically a pair of clamps attached toa weighted base. this helds keep your board in a good working position.

Asazman
06-25-2006, 11:09 AM
one word: dremel. a wide variety of screwdrivers and random comp parts definetly helps.

hixie
06-25-2006, 11:11 AM
A PCB holder will also come in handy.

K404
06-25-2006, 11:13 AM
DMM

Some way of keeping the board still is VERY helpful, as is a positionable "3rd hand" as suggested above to keep the component being soldered in place :)

InSanCen
07-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Dead parts to strip for spares... essential. Have re-capped everal boards cannibalising dead boards with decent caps.

Modding cases? Bondo or Milliput (I prefer the latter, cheaper and (for me at least) easier to work with).

Dremel has already been mentioned, but I think that a Standard drill and Jigsaw is essential (Wore out 6 dremel bits cutting a 92mm fan hole before I used Jigsaw & 36TPI Metal blade, was like a knife through butter)

Workbench. Cannot overstate this. preferably at a decent height (I'm 6foot3, so most people hate mine). to do good work, you have to be relaxed & Comfortable.

tennvols_69
07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
if your gonna do circuit mods the basic tools i would recommend is a good iron... by good i mean a weller or better. a set of dental picks and some trace kits.some good wire and good strippers. a set of jewlers screwdrivers. a mini drilbit(useful when making your own boards) some quality flux.(i perfer liquid flux). several tips for your weller, they make smd tips that work well for replacing smd componets.