PDA

View Full Version : How do you recomend to clean a 775 motherboard?

tardbus2
06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
So I have this p5wd2-e that I was using a phase change on with dielectric grease and nail polish all around socket area. But it seems that the dielectric grease has hardened on the motherboard pins and created it so that I cannot get it to post due to inproper contact with motherboard pins (i hope).

I had heard there is a way to take the metal bracket from the socket off and with a VERY fine/soft toothbrush and soap and water just use to clean and it'll come right off?

Also with the nailpolish, i'm assuming that acetone will in fact distort/melt the plastic that the motherboard is made of so how would you guys go about getting that off? Or just use acetone lightly to break down the polish and fingernail to scrape off?

Any help/tips/tricks/suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Was also wondering if there was any way to take the socket bracketing off to make sure I clean every little bit?

Pete
06-23-2006, 01:57 PM
IPA for the dielectric grease i think it is.

Nailpolish you'll have to leave as removing will take mobo

PCB lauqer next time.

If it's not posting i bet it's got pin rot

tardbus2
06-26-2006, 08:18 AM
any other suggestions gonna get some pictures soon

tardbus2
06-27-2006, 11:16 AM
^^^

kiwi
06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I remember I had asus ct479 adapter in nailpolish. Even acetone bath did not remove it completely. The toughest part is nearby small smds and behind chip pins.

Take a look here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104664) for better alternatives I have tried so far

Haltech
06-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Buy yourself a can of Chemtronics Circuit Cleaner or Board Wash. The stuff is a amazing, especially at removing die electric grease and rosen.

tardbus2
06-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Where could I get some chemtronics? I have a lot of stores like fry's and such by me seems like it might be what i need to clean this thing.

Any way to take the socket apart?