PDA

View Full Version : AMD Building Fab in NY!

DilTech
06-23-2006, 12:20 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060623/chip_plant.html?.v=1

AMD, based in Sunnyvale, Calif. chose to locate the new $3.5 billion plant on a 600-acre site in Malta, about 25 miles north of Albany, said Assemblyman Ronald Canestrari, an Albany County Democrat.

"It's a done deal," Canestrari said.

The company had also been considering another site in the central New York town of Marcy the state purchased 25 years ago, officials said.

The state is providing about $1 billion in incentives including grants for construction and equipment, tax credits and other Empire Zone benefits, according to a legislative aide familiar with the deal who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't to be announced until later Friday.

Gov. George Pataki said Frid

Looks like AMD took NY's offer.

DoubleZero
06-23-2006, 12:20 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060623/amd_chip_plant.html?.v=1

Hell yeah...

AMD is so scared of Intel products, and is having so much trouble "reacting" to Intel, and the price war will be so devastating, that they keep building new FAB's :stick:

Well back to 1% market share to AMD but at least they'll have a couple of FAB's to be proud.

It's really anoying that in every AMD related thread there's always 50% posts with Intel propraganda, and to make matters even worse it's propraganda based on the wet dreams of Intel fanboys and not propraganda based on reality.

I don't see that in Intel threads... the mod's should do something, this is getting stupid.

n00b 0f l337
06-23-2006, 12:22 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104280
Wow both at the exact same time.

DilTech
06-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Arrrrrggggg...

nn_step
06-23-2006, 12:29 PM
coool :D

Cooper
06-23-2006, 12:29 PM
And original one (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101950&highlight=AMD+York) :D

perkam
06-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Thread Mergee !!!

Perkam

Pinnacle
06-23-2006, 04:44 PM
And original one (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101950&highlight=AMD+York) :D

Yes, it came to be

NickS
06-23-2006, 04:54 PM
UM WOOT. I live in NY. :D

Nick

Pinnacle
06-23-2006, 05:00 PM
UM WOOT. I live in NY. :D

Nick

Once they start building, you should update us with pics! :D

Thorry
06-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Well are you a engineer with enough expertise to get a job at the plant?

If not there really isn't anything to be happy about.

It brings an uplift to the area economical if you are in the immediate area and working in the sector a related sector you may have some reason to be happy. But I believe the immediate area is pretty remote, not a whole lot population.

There won't be any actual CPUs (or other chips, AMD doesn't only build CPUs you know) in the fab, they get assembled in Malaysia.

Also the state of NY is huge... you in the area to show us some pics?

Actually pretty wierd if you live near the fab and buy a CPU. The CPU you buy may be made in the local fab but traveled around the world before ending up at your doorstep. That's the new world economy for ya ;)

Time we put our differences besides us and realise the entire world is our playground, borders mean sh*t :P

I can see the headlines: "Overclocking unites the world"

NickS
06-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Once they start building, you should update us with pics! :D

Yeah, it's a few hours away from me by car lol.. and I'm not old enough to drive. By the time I am old enough to drive I might shoot up there though :).

Nick

Pinnacle
06-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah, it's a few hours away from me by car lol.. and I'm not old enough to drive. By the time I am old enough to drive I might shoot up there though :).

Nick

Get your bicycle and give er :D

NickS
06-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Not even funny, rofl.

nn_step
06-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Not even funny, rofl.
So I am guessing over a hundred miles away :(

[XC] leviathan18
06-23-2006, 05:42 PM
if its a couple of hours away at 80mph at least 160 miles away from him lol

NickS
06-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 23 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 143.66 miles

From my house to Albany.. plus add ~25 for the distance from Albany to the actual Fab..

Nick

Dimitriman
06-24-2006, 03:33 AM
Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 23 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 143.66 miles

From my house to Albany.. plus add ~25 for the distance from Albany to the actual Fab..

Nick

That's neighbouring city for American standards. We deffinately expect some pics when the fab breaks ground. 2010 is nearly just enough time to get an Engeneering degree :fact: :D

stayfrosty
06-24-2006, 08:20 AM
woot thats only like a 5 hour drive from buffalo!

StyM
06-24-2006, 08:24 PM
source here (http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=5798)

ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON AMD ANNOUNCEMENT

* The plan announced today calls for an investment of
approximately $3.2 billion in plant and equipment. This investment would place the Luther Forest project among the largest manufacturing projects in the US, according to Site Selection magazine. It would be comparable to a $3.5 B wafer fab in Austin, TX and a $3 B investment in Chandler, Arizona.

* Only three recent projects worldwide would represent larger
total investments: a $12 billion steel plant in India; a projected $3.5 billion wafer fab investment in Austin, Texas; and a $3.5 billion chip-fab investment in Israel.

* The plan would also allow for the largest private-sector
investment in New York State history. The previously largest investment was the $2.5 billion spent in 2000 to build a 300mm wafer fabrication plant in East Fishkill, Dutchess County.

* AMD's selection of the Luther Forest Technology Campus for their
next wafer fab would represent the first time that a 300mm fab would be built at a new campus in North America. All of the previous 300mm Fabs built in North America have been expansions or built at existing semiconductor company campuses.

* Only 20% of the 300mm Fabs in the world are in the US. Asia has
captured over 65% of 300mm Fab projects. AMD's Luther Forest Fab would counter this trend.

* AMD's Luther Forest Fab would be the fourth 300mm Fab built in
New York State, making us the leader in states with 300mm Fabs. There are two 300mm Fabs in Oregon; two 300mm Fabs operating in Arizona, with one under construction; Texas is home to two 300mm Fabs with a third just breaking ground in Austin.

* According to an October 2004 report from the Center for Business
Research at Arizona State University, a fab's current presence in Arizona has a $2.6 billion annual impact on the state's economy and supports 27,680 indirect Arizona jobs. Among the impact's components are approximately $50 million in taxes still paid each year by the company,
$87.5 million in employee taxes and $276 million in goods and services purchased from Arizona-based businesses. Arizona has two Fabs with support facilities employing over 8000.

Vapor
06-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I was just RIGHT THERE a few hours ago for a graduation party...wow.

IMO, the last thing Upstate NY needs is a new Fab. East Fishkill's a dump now because of IBM's Fab....but whatever, guess I could rummage through some garbage barrels later on :p: (j/k, besides, takes me two hours to get there and then another two back with the stupid CT and Mass'a-two-schits drivers :rolleyes: )

NickS
06-24-2006, 08:42 PM
There was an article about this in my local news paper (Press & Sun Bulliten (www.pressconnects.com)) today, they said there is a possibility that the Hudson Valley, where the fab is going to be located, may become America's second silicon valley :D

Nick