PDA

View Full Version : popping my lid tonight !

noktekniq
06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
what do i need to know other then to do it slowly and take my time to put in the razor? what are the chances of a newbie killing the cpu on the first try of removing the lid?

[XC] leviathan18
06-22-2006, 03:25 PM
just be careful do it with calm take you time and take pics

[XC]melymel
06-22-2006, 03:28 PM
double check everything, make sure your not scrapping the pcb or hitting on an smd by not putting too much force and most of all take your time and be carefull. Also you can always stop. :toast:

noktekniq
06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
double check everything, make sure your not scrapping the pcb or hitting on an smd by not putting too much force and most of all take your time and be carefull. Also you can always stop. :toast:
now the only thing i'm thinking about is if the zalman 9500 would crush the core? if then then i geuss i'll be fine. i can use some foam tape that i have on the cpu to protect it from to much pressure

comrad
06-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Removing IHS's is really easy, First time you are always kidna scared but I have done it many times and NEVER damaged a chip.

v0dka
06-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Start in the corner, and DONT rush it. Go round a few times instead of cutting in one go and be very carefull not to go deeper than 2mm.

[XC] 4X4N
06-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Start in the corner, and DONT rush it. Go round a few times instead of cutting in one go and be very carefull not to go deeper than 2mm.

This is great advice. Also, use some of the foam padding that come with the cpu's for holding it as you cut. Works great and protects the pins.

eclypse
06-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Yes start at the corners. The way i did it is just push the middle part of the blade in at the corner. Wiggle it back and forth slowly.. each time it should go deeper and deeper. I would'nt go just slicing away at each side as you'll probably slice the PCB. Once you get threw the corner then start cuttin threw one side.. same way by wiggling the blade. Make sure not to go too deep as you'll cut some chips.

It will seem at first that it will take a life time but after a bit you'll make it threw.

Just make sure you keep the blade level or slightly tilted up.. never tilted down as you'll cut the PCB board and you should be good.

Also find a pic of the same chip with the top off and keep an eye along with the pic to see whats on the side your cutting.

eclypse
06-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Oh.. i just cut the top off my FX-60 that only wanted to do 2970Mhz before at 1.6v.. After some testing it seems to want to go atleast another 110Mhz! hehe. So before i could not get dual prime stable at 3Ghz.. Now i'm trying to get 3100Mhz :) I knew the top could'nt be making good contact and it looked like 40% of the core wasn't!

Repoman
06-22-2006, 07:33 PM
yeah I've done it on 4 chips now, with no major improvements.. got ~25MHz/.025v less at same clocks with the 0608, same with the 0610 Opties

andre X_X
06-22-2006, 08:46 PM
looks like 06 batches have good contact... i removed my E6 Venice and the only changes is the Tcase and TDP... no changes at speed or temps.... kinda weird huh...
btw, my tcase increase to 63c (from 55c) and my TDP to 61.3c (from arround 35-44c)

XFxGeforced
06-22-2006, 09:23 PM
just be careful do it with calm take you time and take pics
amen :( top right missing ic, bottum two damaged

Ic3man
06-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Put a shim around the razor blade to stop you going in too deep. I just taped it off to 5mm with some electrical tape and that worked fine. 2mm is too shallow and you won't get past the sealant. Use the foam pad the processor came on to help prevent bent pins and as stated before, take your time and be patient.

matt89
06-23-2006, 04:29 AM
how did it go

lross78550
06-23-2006, 06:17 AM
xfxgeforce how the hell did you manage to damage that processor that bad what did you use to remove the ihs a sawsall?

This is not the recommended tool for removal of ihs :)
jmo
Lee

Ic3man
06-23-2006, 06:28 AM
:D

Unless you can find a windowscraper with a small enough blade then one of these should suffice...just remember that they are a tad sharp;)

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50068264/Razor_Blades.jpg

roadie
06-23-2006, 08:17 AM
I know it's not the same but does anyone have any tips for lapping the IHS. I've an old OEM and therefore out of warranty 3000+ that I'd like to even out and see just how cool I can get it running. Air cooling prohibits IHS removal...

eclypse
06-23-2006, 08:38 AM
i'm not possitive but i believe in order to lap the IHS you should remove it first. Well thats what i've seen in the past ohters do, then put it back on.

Also you can still air cool with the top off you just have to use a heatsink that screws down.

noktekniq
06-23-2006, 08:54 AM
geeezz. so i tried last night. the damn blade wasn't thin enough and sharp enuogh to do with ease. i almost scraped off the gree stuff on it. well VERY little. got scared. so i was like FCK IT. but the chip back in the mobo turn on the comp. still works. i'm glad. until i can get some nice flat thin blade i won't try. i'll keep you guys posted

psyconut713
06-23-2006, 10:32 AM
i got the same stepping 170 opty you have, i would love to see what it can do when its IHS is off, keep posting

eclypse
06-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Theres a better picture of this blade somewhere on this forum.. But heres what you need. http://www.allwaytools.com/Level1.asp?Material_ID=GSM

I used this to take the top off the Fx-60.. Nice thing is that you have a nice solid handle and that the blade is perfect length as in it will go as deep as you need and not hit any chips.. Well on most chips. My Fx-60 and the x2 cpus one side you cant push this blade all the way in.

You should beable to find this at most hardware stores in the paint area.

matt89
06-23-2006, 02:18 PM
better luck next time

NickS
06-23-2006, 02:48 PM
what do i need to know other then to do it slowly and take my time to put in the razor? what are the chances of a newbie killing the cpu on the first try of removing the lid?

I'm not a newbie per se but I've done 3 so far, perfectly... havn't bent one pin.

Two 3200+'s and an Opty 148. It's very simple, go for it :)

Nick :woot:

noktekniq
06-23-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm not a newbie per se but I've done 3 so far, perfectly... havn't bent one pin.

Two 3200+'s and an Opty 148. It's very simple, go for it :)

Nick :woot:
didn't have the right equipment. if i did, then it would be no problem. i used a box cutter razor which i thot was thin enough but it wasn't. i need to buy the one in the link few post above

NickS
06-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Just buy a regular old razor blade.

http://www.infinitymod.com/Install/image016.jpg

I used a razor like that..

Nick

scottk
06-23-2006, 06:45 PM
geeezz. so i tried last night. the damn blade wasn't thin enough and sharp enuogh to do with ease. i almost scraped off the gree stuff on it. well VERY little. got scared. so i was like FCK IT. but the chip back in the mobo turn on the comp. still works. i'm glad. until i can get some nice flat thin blade i won't try. i'll keep you guys posted

Use the blade from a disposable razor. They're the thinnest. A little harder to hold though. To avoid cutting open a finger, tape off the portion of the blade that won't be used to cut under the IHS.

safan80
06-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Just buy a regular old razor blade.

http://www.infinitymod.com/Install/image016.jpg

I used a razor like that..

Nick

why not just use a hobby knife it has a handle.

everytime I see a razor blade it makes think of the newer twilight zone series where a guy had the walls lined with them.

noktekniq
06-23-2006, 07:36 PM
i tried again with xacto knife. not the kind that everyone used. it wouldnt' go through. too thick.

Ic3man
06-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Razor blades are really the safest method (for your CPU) to remove the IHS. My first attempt without one ( I used a scalpel) took me 20 mins to remove the IHS and resulted in a scratched PCB and a dead opty 165:(

2nd attempt with a double edged Razor taped off to 5mm = 2 mins to remove a 170 IHS with no problems what-so-ever. Idle temps -8c, load temps - 12c gained 150mhz and would also SuperPI 1m @ 3ghz which it wouldn't do before:woot:

roadie
06-24-2006, 12:55 AM
i'm not possitive but i believe in order to lap the IHS you should remove it first. Well thats what i've seen in the past ohters do, then put it back on.

Also you can still air cool with the top off you just have to use a heatsink that screws down.
Heh, I really don't fancy removing the IHS so I'll just be mindful of the pins when I am doing it.

However, if I did have a cooler that screwed down, I would give it a go (I have a Freezer 64 Pro).

einCe
06-24-2006, 12:58 AM
i got a reg razor like nicks said and one of those cheapo metal handle things from the grocery store got a perfect cut on my first ihs removal

turbotoaster
06-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Heh, I really don't fancy removing the IHS so I'll just be mindful of the pins when I am doing it.

However, if I did have a cooler that screwed down, I would give it a go (I have a Freezer 64 Pro).

after reading all this i decided to get the courage up last night to do it on my fx60, anyway finally got it off only to see i had taken 2 little chips with it, well you can imagine how upset it was, i thought ill try it in my board, and it didnt work, so i thought thats it, got my fx57 out of the cupboard and put that in, still didnt post so i went downstairs and fetched my msi neo2 plat mobo, but the fx57 in, and it worked, then put the fx60 in with the ihs placed on top, and it posted(this is with a freezer 64 pro, thats why i quoted you), i then took the ihs back off and clamped the freezer 64 on and it works.

woo hoo!!!!!

so i left my asus board overnight, i think it may have been water of my wc kit

put my fx57 in it and it posted, then put my fx60 in with ihs off, on water and it worked.

dz`
06-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I dont understand how people can take the smd's off if you tape off the blade so you dont go too deep...

noktekniq
06-24-2006, 07:41 AM
after reading all this i decided to get the courage up last night to do it on my fx60, anyway finally got it off only to see i had taken 2 little chips with it, well you can imagine how upset it was, i thought ill try it in my board, and it didnt work, so i thought thats it, got my fx57 out of the cupboard and put that in, still didnt post so i went downstairs and fetched my msi neo2 plat mobo, but the fx57 in, and it worked, then put the fx60 in with the ihs placed on top, and it posted(this is with a freezer 64 pro, thats why i quoted you), i then took the ihs back off and clamped the freezer 64 on and it works.

woo hoo!!!!!

so i left my asus board overnight, i think it may have been water of my wc kit

put my fx57 in it and it posted, then put my fx60 in with ihs on water and it worked.
what kind of blade did you use?

turbotoaster
06-24-2006, 07:47 AM
just a razor blade, but it was thicker than the pic by NickS

roadie
06-27-2006, 04:29 AM
Has anyone taken off the IHS, cleaned the core and applied AS5 before replacing the IHS? I have been entertaining this idea. Would regular superglue be ok for holding the IHS on?

Smalltimer
06-27-2006, 04:45 AM
Thats a shame.

I used a razer blade type scraper and when I looked at the scraper I measured the blade had a 4.2mm extrusion. The chips on my opteron were aprox. 3mm from the trailing edge so you can see how its pretty easy to push things to far.

When I was pressing the blade through the seal, I was veeeeery careful as I felt to any resistance beyond the gasket. The corners are very fogiving but as for the edges, this is the dangerous part. You have the least clearance to the vital components under the hood and I can see how many people may feel this could be part of the gasket since a razor blade can easilly cut through the micro pins of a resistor etc.

The best(safest) way to avoid accidents is to gauge the blade depth somehow. Some people mentioned taping the blade at 2mm, If I had to do it again... I would take two pieces of pine or otherwise and sandwich the blad between them at 2mm with glue and screws. This way you know, under no circumstances that the blad can cut past the IHS seal.

Otherwise... all I can say is, use the thinnest sharpest blade you can find(razor) and when cutting the seal, use surgeon like delicacy to feel your way around the IHS. Using your fingers as gauges to meter the depth of your cut.

Hope this helps

billdavis
06-27-2006, 04:47 AM
Has anyone taken off the IHS, cleaned the core and applied AS5 before replacing the IHS? I have been entertaining this idea. Would regular superglue be ok for holding the IHS on?

yes but i used C??ramique and i got ~ a 7c improvement at load temps i used a rubber compound to glue it back on
________
Portable vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org/)

Smalltimer
06-27-2006, 05:07 AM
You can also buy the same black silicon glue that AMD uses, I read the name here in this forum previously, don't remember where though.

Got Chow
06-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Use that Allway tool that was posted on post #21. I stock them here at my work and picked one up for like 40 cents. Worked great on a dead Opty 146 but I'm too chicken to do it on my 165. ;) I got a CCB1E and it OCs decently well that I do not want to kill it. The Allway tool worked out great for me though for practice.

ShoNuff
06-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Oh.. i just cut the top off my FX-60 that only wanted to do 2970Mhz before at 1.6v.. After some testing it seems to want to go atleast another 110Mhz! hehe. So before i could not get dual prime stable at 3Ghz.. Now i'm trying to get 3100Mhz :) I knew the top could'nt be making good contact and it looked like 40% of the core wasn't!

That is huge! Now I gotta get mine off. One core dies way before the other when priming. I don't think my IHS is making uniform contact.

Congratulations! :toast: