PDA

View Full Version : Push/Pull w/ shroud on an MCR220QP

CedricFP
06-22-2006, 04:11 AM
I currently own an MCR220QP and have the fans screwed directly on the rad (no shroud) pushing air in.

Would I see much of a benefit changing to pull or adding a shroud?

As it stands, with the fans running at 7v, hardly any air gets pushed through the Rad, though enough certainly is to cool the rig down adequetly in the hot, hong kong weather.

I am looking for the best fan setup on a double rad (soon to be a 120.3 hopefully.)

Okda
06-22-2006, 04:50 AM
AFAIK pull showed better perfromance

that is how i installed my fans on the MCR-320

between YL @ 12v is very silent for me, it is morethan silent my 3xWD SATA2 hdds

Radical_53
06-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Yes, pull showed improved performance on that rad. If you're using low rpm 25mm thick fans, go for Yates.
For the shroud thing, you'd really have to try it. Gave me a nice boost on a PA, but I'm not sure how it would act up on a MCR.

snowwie
06-22-2006, 11:24 AM
push showed better performance on that rad

lol lemme be more descriptive...

billa, the man who basically designed that radiator, posted on procooling forums that in his testing with his equipment he found that pushing with ~1/4" gap was the best. essentially the same as cathar says about the thermochill PA rads.

Radical_53
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
With Yates? Most definitely not :)

snowwie
06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I think billa always used medium speed deltas

shouldn't make a difference though I don't think. axial fans are axial fans

med speed deltas, low speed yate loons, what works better for one should work better for the other.

Radical_53
06-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Well, not really. I tested it with the Yates, 3 different speeds. The slower the fans spun the better pull was.
So, maybe at some point push is better. But definitely not with low rpm...

snowwie
06-22-2006, 11:49 AM
eh? the slower they spun the better they performed?

oh. you're saying performance suffered more dramatically at lower speeds when in push configuration compared to pull configuration. hmm, I would have thought there would be no difference at all in how performance suffered between the two configs. how did you test this? MBM temps?

Scarlet Infidel
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Well when pushing if they spin too slowly they cant create the required pressure to move air through properly, when they are sucking they have less trouble.

The slower you run the fans the more beneficial it is to switch to pull over push.

Radical_53
06-22-2006, 12:45 PM
@snowwie: Nope, can't tell the difference with that. I used a setup quite close to what marci did on one of the stickies, just with a .1° resolution instead of .5°.

CedricFP
06-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Damn, I'm running Yates at 7v. Time to switch over to pull. Thanks a lot guys :)